Moving to South Africa

Old Mar 14th 2006, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to South Africa

Originally Posted by Luma
Here's a website on Johannesburg.
http://www.joburg.org.za/

We're currently living in the UK and we don't want to move back to South Africa mainly because of the crime. We didn't like living constantly in fear. We're moving to Australia now.

Someone once put it:
When you hear a noise outside at 3am in the UK you want to shout out the window
"Shut the f***k up - we're trying to sleep"
When you hear a noise outside at 3am in South Africa you immediately think
"someone is trying to break into the house"

You just have to be very vigilant when you live there.
Absolutely. I'd add too, that if the person offering this job to Lauramy doesn't think that personal safety should be one's main consideration, then it's worth asking what, then, should one's main consideration be?

Incidentally, Lauramy, I have a friend who lives close to Sandton City and works in recruitment. If you want I can put you in touch with her and she can give you the low-down on what life is like, and, depending on the area you're working in, possibly some guidance on pay packages too (she works mainly in the IT sector). Send me a private message if you want and I'll give you her contact details.

Pablo
Old Mar 14th 2006, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Piccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pablo
...Sponsored by the SA Tourist Board. Better to get independent info.

Pablo

Well you know the author of the article did say he had misgiving about his visit having visited Jo burg and many other parts of SA before. He was however pleasantly surprised about nightlife and improvements in Soweto.
He did say that there was still crime in many cases against the blacks who have succeeded by those who still have to find a way up.

I have been reading the website of the paper suggested, surely not every reporter is lying or is in the pocket of the government?

Re robbery, I have been robbed in Glasgow 1961, robbed 3/4 times in Zambia
(once we were in the house but in the locked section) and most recently in Coventry 3 years ago when I awoke to find youth in bedroom, fortunately he ran when I shouted. So where do you go? You just have to be vigilant wherever you are.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piccolo
Well you know the author of the article did say he had misgiving about his visit having visited Jo burg and many other parts of SA before. He was however pleasantly surprised about nightlife and improvements in Soweto.
He did say that there was still crime in many cases against the blacks who have succeeded by those who still have to find a way up.

I have been reading the website of the paper suggested, surely not every reporter is lying or is in the pocket of the government?

Re robbery, I have been robbed in Glasgow 1961, robbed 3/4 times in Zambia
(once we were in the house but in the locked section) and most recently in Coventry 3 years ago when I awoke to find youth in bedroom, fortunately he ran when I shouted. So where do you go? You just have to be vigilant wherever you are.
Look Piccolo

I have heard that argument about crime being everywhere so often I could puke. It is just plain stupid, and you surely know it. The fact that you can point to a crime that happened in London, and then another crime that happened in Jo'burg, is not a case for saying that the risks and dangers are therefore equal.

As for the writers of travel pieces for Sunday supplements, I did not say they lie or that they are in the pockets of governments. But I suspect I know a bit more about this subject than you do, and I can tell you that even in cases where the whole features is not sponsored by e.g., the SA Tourist Board, the travel writers are sponsored by travel companies, or others with a vested interest in encouraging a person to go to a place. This is true not only of SA, but all UK travel writing in the papers. Anyone who works in travel journalism will confirm this. In the USA, by contrast, travel writers for the newspapers are not allowed to be sponsored by travel companies etc. Really, I thought this was common knowledge.

If you want to find out about the reality of emigrating and living in Jo'burg, then for Christ's sake don't be so superficial as to rely on what you find in the travel section of the Telegraph. A no-brainer, surely!

Pablo
Old Mar 14th 2006, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Piccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nice

Look Piccolo

I have heard that argument about crime being everywhere so often I could puke. It is just plain stupid, and you surely know it. The fact that you can point to a crime that happened in London, and then another crime that happened in Jo'burg, is not a case for saying that the risks and dangers are therefore equal.

As for the writers of travel pieces for Sunday supplements, I did not say they lie or that they are in the pockets of governments. But I suspect I know a bit more about this subject than you do, and I can tell you that even in cases where the whole features is not sponsored by e.g., the SA Tourist Board, the travel writers are sponsored by travel companies, or others with a vested interest in encouraging a person to go to a place. This is true not only of SA, but all UK travel writing in the papers. Anyone who works in travel journalism will confirm this. In the USA, by contrast, travel writers for the newspapers are not allowed to be sponsored by travel companies etc. Really, I thought this was common knowledge.

If you want to find out about the reality of emigrating and living in Jo'burg, then for Christ's sake don't be so superficial as to rely on what you find in the travel section of the Telegraph. A no-brainer, surely!

Pablo

I have lived in Africa for over 25+ and in some really iffy places and have also visited Jo burg on a number of occasions and found it scary even back in the 60's so it would not be my city of choice. Many many black,white and asian people do continue to live there and make a life for themselves. The article pointed out the improvements to the city and that some areas are no longer no go areas. I was only pointing out the article to someone who was thnking of working there. I am sure she is only too aware of the problems
Old Mar 14th 2006, 11:28 am
Just Joined

Lauramy is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely. I'd add too, that if the person offering this job to Lauramy doesn't think that personal safety should be one's main consideration, then it's worth asking what, then, should one's main consideration be?

Incidentally, Lauramy, I have a friend who lives close to Sandton City and works in recruitment. If you want I can put you in touch with her and she can give you the low-down on what life is like, and, depending on the area you're working in, possibly some guidance on pay packages too (she works mainly in the IT sector). Send me a private message if you want and I'll give you her contact details.

Pablo
Many thanks Pablo I will send you a private message.

And to everyone else thanks for you guidance and insites - its very interesting to read the different opinions.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

At least it looks like you will be making an informed decision.

Good luck
Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lauramy
I have been offered a job in Johannesburg with one of my old bosses from when I worked in the Middle East.

I am very excited by the job and would like to know others opinions of living there. Safety is a concern for me obvisouly but my boss who was born and bred in Johannesburg and moved back about a year ago says this should not be a main consideration in my decision.

Does anyone have any property websites that I can check out and also job sites as he has asked me what sort of package I would like, it would be a full relocation package.

I am a single women in my mid twenties who has lived and worked abroad before so not at all naive to it.

Any help gratefully received.
Thanks
Sandton is quite an exclusive area, if you can afford to live there it would be nice enough for you. but will be expensive though. I lived in Joburgh about 6 or 7 years ago, I cant remember all the suburbs around Sandton, sorry. We lived in Northcliff but that was to the other side of the city. Traffic around Santdon is a nightmare, so be aware of that, unless you live close by you will be spending a lot of time on the motorway in gridlock.

for general news check out news24.co.za sundaytimes.co.za or mg.co.za
for josb and pay maybe jobmail.co.za
for property pam golding is one agency, but tends to focus on exclusive properties. u may have to do a google search for properties in south africa

sandton is to the north west of Joburg, if you want to narrow the search down to more specific areas.

you wont be bored in joburgh, that much is for sure!

lemme know if you wanna know anything else
Old Mar 24th 2006, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Pablo
As apposed to the hostile opinions of complete strangers

Go for a trip to Jo'burg and see for yourself. I know a lot of people who live there out of choice, for whatever reason. Yes, it has it's issues but it does have some advantages too.
All the best with your decision
Old Mar 25th 2006, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shellfish
As apposed to the hostile opinions of complete strangers

Go for a trip to Jo'burg and see for yourself. I know a lot of people who live there out of choice, for whatever reason. Yes, it has it's issues but it does have some advantages too.
All the best with your decision
I'm not quite sure what the blue face is supposed to signify.

What you write would be equally true of Baghdad. In all cases, knowledge is better than opinion.

Pablo
Old May 6th 2006, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

derek tavendale is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lauramy
I have been offered a job in Johannesburg with one of my old bosses from when I worked in the Middle East.

I am very excited by the job and would like to know others opinions of living there. Safety is a concern for me obvisouly but my boss who was born and bred in Johannesburg and moved back about a year ago says this should not be a main consideration in my decision.

Does anyone have any property websites that I can check out and also job sites as he has asked me what sort of package I would like, it would be a full relocation package.

I am a single women in my mid twenties who has lived and worked abroad before so not at all naive to it.

Any help gratefully received.
Thanks
Hi you sound as if you need a nudge, well just go for it Secureity is a problem any where you are ,just be aware and alert and you will be fine I have been here 31 years( JHB/DURBAN) and its so great to get up in the morning and know the sun is shining but be warned JHB WILL GET COLD IN THE WINTER my son stays close to Sandton so email if you need more info .For jobs and accommadation The star on the internet can help [email protected]