Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Moving to Lagos - what to pack in the container

Moving to Lagos - what to pack in the container

Old Feb 14th 2015, 5:56 am
Just Joined

lemoncino is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Lagos - what to pack in the container

I am moving to Lagos in July with my husband and three young children. Excited about this new adventure but also trying to prepare myself for a huge cultural shock. Anyway... I know you can probably buy everything that you need but what would you recommend packing in your container? Or what do you bring back whenever you go back to the UK (or outside Nigeria). Thanks in advance for your time.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 10:05 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Lagos - what to pack in the container

Originally Posted by lemoncino
I am moving to Lagos in July with my husband and three young children. Excited about this new adventure but also trying to prepare myself for a huge cultural shock. Anyway... I know you can probably buy everything that you need but what would you recommend packing in your container? Or what do you bring back whenever you go back to the UK (or outside Nigeria). Thanks in advance for your time.
Guns, mosquito spray and 5 outfits per day as you'll sweat so much you'll be changing all the time.

Seriously, it all depends on what you're moving to, and for how long.

If you are moving into a furnished place, don't bother bringing all yours, stick it in storage in the UK. Don't take any warm clothes - mothball them too. You will never wear long sleeves again.

They use British style plugs in some places, and round pin plugs in others, so check which your apartment uses before shipping appliances.

Good luck. Lagos is an extraordinary place. Full of noise, colour and a real sensory overload. It can be dangerous but I'm sure you know that and have taken the right precautions. Enjoy it, you'll have an awesome experience I'm sure.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 5:45 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

There's a lot of stuff you can't readily get in Lagos- fake products are rife- but a lot depends on how you want to live. I found a toolbox was an essential. Don't look to buy any clothes there. I was there for 6 years and would bring the full load of 64kg back every time, including food, and even crazy stuff like an office chair which I'd dismantled.

Can you give any more information o your circumstances, likes/ dislikes?
Old May 13th 2015, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Naija85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello! I would pack all the clothes you are going to want until you visit home again, clothes shopping isnt amazing over there. Furniture, a good sofa, if you aren't getting somewhere fully furnished as it can be very expensive out there. Most things are readily available in Lagos, but they can be very expensive. Good wine is difficult to find but a new business called [SNIP] has just started that people are talking about. Enjoy Lagos, its an amazing city!

Last edited by ededed; May 13th 2015 at 4:53 pm. Reason: Nice try....
Old May 15th 2015, 7:54 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough I'd disagree on the wine- most of the supermarkets have a pretty good selection unless your bar is so high only vintage is good. Generally anything non-perishable is obtainable and not unreasonable price wise. Anything perishable on the other hand... get ready to miss good salads, cheeses and dry meats (I used to bring in packs of frozen bacon and hope my suitcase didn't get lost!).

I've heard the south African supermarkets are improving things these days though, and south African produce is as good as anything out of europe.

Originally Posted by Naija85
Hello! I would pack all the clothes you are going to want until you visit home again, clothes shopping isnt amazing over there. Furniture, a good sofa, if you aren't getting somewhere fully furnished as it can be very expensive out there. Most things are readily available in Lagos, but they can be very expensive. Good wine is difficult to find but a new business called [SNIP] has just started that people are talking about. Enjoy Lagos, its an amazing city!