Moving to Joburg

Old Jul 6th 2008, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Joburg

Originally Posted by gilliana
Pablo, i've read a lot of your posts on different threads and think perhaps you should start your own website...maybe call it www.i-hate-sa.com?
what exactly are you doing on this forum? you sound like a big bully standing at the gate of SA preventing anybody from entering.
At least I try to address the arguments, rather than resort to this kind of childish drivel. Do you actually have anything intelligent to say?
Old Jul 6th 2008, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

gilliana is just really nicegilliana is just really nicegilliana is just really nicegilliana is just really nicegilliana is just really nicegilliana is just really nicegilliana is just really nicegilliana is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pablo
At least I try to address the arguments, rather than resort to this kind of childish drivel. Do you actually have anything intelligent to say?
You "address arguments" with acerbic comments....yeah very intelligent...
Old Jul 6th 2008, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

You "address arguments" with acerbic comments....yeah very intelligent...
Pablo, i've read a lot of your posts on different threads and think perhaps you should start your own website...maybe call it www.i-hate-sa.com?
You are the one who set the tone, darling. See your own initial snide comment above.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:41 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Lets not descend into personals again, eh
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:50 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Can't even feel safe at tourist destinations. http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?s...0437744C418224
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:00 am
Member Delux

Juggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant future

Thats the problem with you guys right there.
Expats extracting every morsel of crime you can find in our papers then bombarding us on the site with it. Is your new countries really that boring that theres nothing in the local papers. New sidewalks being laid ,Garden competitions , something , please, anything ! I dont see this kind of behavior on any of the other BE forums.

Why cant you be happy that your kids can now ride their bikes to their friends and play outside. That seems to be the greatest joy to be had by immigrating. That and bad mouthing a country that in most of your cases werent even your country of birth to begin with but has none the less been good to you and yours for years. Enabling you guys to enjoy a standard of living not afforded to others. Am I wrong ?
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Juggernaut
Thats the problem with you guys right there.
Expats extracting every morsel of crime you can find in our papers then bombarding us on the site with it. Is your new countries really that boring that theres nothing in the local papers. New sidewalks being laid ,Garden competitions , something , please, anything ! I dont see this kind of behavior on any of the other BE forums.

Why cant you be happy that your kids can now ride their bikes to their friends and play outside. That seems to be the greatest joy to be had by immigrating. That and bad mouthing a country that in most of your cases werent even your country of birth to begin with but has none the less been good to you and yours for years. Enabling you guys to enjoy a standard of living not afforded to others. Am I wrong ?
Yes, Juggernaut, you are wrong. Just another attempt to muzzle criticism. Which BE forums were you thinking of? The one for North Korea? Or Iraq? Fact is, most British emigrants head for places where the kind of dangers discussed here don't exist. As for your silly language about "bombarding us" (whoever "us" is), no one is preventing you posting yourself, if you have anything to say. Would you like to discuss Mbeki's shameful ongoing support for that butcher Mugabe, perhaps? Or the millions who have died needlessly in the Aids holocaust, all because of Mbeki's Big-man-in-the-village denialism? Or perhaps, just to please you, posters should limit themselves to how they had a nice trip to the garden centre last weekend, or bought a pretty dress.

There is enough propaganda masquerading as "good news" about South Africa out there. If you read it, you'd think South Africa was just like the south of France...but better.

Last edited by Pablo; Jul 8th 2008 at 11:20 am.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Juggernaut,you are quite right.
we're in the midst of a crises here in Ireland.
Daughter brought home 11 small frogs from the pond on sunday, 9 have escaped and are on the run from the attack trained Yorkshire terrier Guard dog.
What are your comments regarding Jon Quwelanies column on the Plan B for 2010?
Or the Land Expropriation bill?
The slippery Hlope saga?

How about the poor maligned SAPS captain who was given permission by the decapitated Car Owner to steal some mats and hubcaps?
and he is still at work even though he has been found guilty of theft?

or my absolute best at the ANC Womens leaugue symposium, first a caterer tries to poison them with Salmonella Suprise then unemployed people who have never driven before get given golef carts to ferry delegates? I gather it was better than Dodgem cars at the funfair.

So,yes,Juggernaut, SA Shenanigans are much more entertaining than the Irish National Plowing Championship.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:09 pm
Member Delux

Juggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant future

DaxK ,good for your daughter .My boy went to aquatots on Sunday for his swimming lessons .We then went to collect two pups from my dad's place .Theyre runts .Not attack trained Yorkies like yours though .Then again Ive always had a soft spot for pavement specials like them.

Do you really want to hear my commentary on any of the topics you posed ? Cos I always have the feeling that the only opinion that carries any weight with you guys are your own and other like minded individuals.

I'm sure the Plowing champs was a blast. Did you know that recently the Bloem Show celebrated its 125th anniversary. Its well known for its agricultural championships. How bout the Dairy Championship held in April by Agri-Expo . Not interested ,heh? Didnt think so. I might be accused by Pablo of spreading propoganda. Unless Its about murder and mayhem It cant be happening in S.A.

I have never denied that we (South Africans) live in interesting times (even more interesting than most) but were working on making it better .But I dont expect you to see that.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Juggernaut
...I might be accused by Pablo of spreading propoganda.
Not at all, Juggernaut. Just expect to be challenged, that's all. What's so wrong with that? Maybe, just maybe, if enough people speak out against the corruption and barbarism, then something will eventually be done.

I suppose you're too young to remember the stuff that used to come out of the old eastern European communist states. Endless tales of wonderful good news - targets met, happy people everywhere, a land of joy and plenty. And then BOOM the truth finally came out. But in the meantime, for years and years, there were many intelligent people who really believed all that crap.

No one is stopping you posting when a potential British emigrant asks "will I be safe?" or "what precautions must I take?" Do you have nothing to say to them?

Fact is, Juggernaut, I have far more respect for you than for that Gilliana woman. At least (in the past, on this list) you have acknowledged problems and been honest about them.

As for me, when all is finally lost in SA then I'll give up. At the moment, late though it is, there is still hope. But as I've said to you before, every time the chance comes along to take the *right* decision, the ANC and Mbeki seem to take the *wrong* one. Good government isn't rocket-science.

But one thing is for sure. Denialism, and an ANC that will be in power until the Second Coming, will bring nothing but disaster to South Africa.

Last edited by Pablo; Jul 8th 2008 at 12:30 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Juggernaut, I would expect you to comment on them in an adult fashion, which you have proved yourself to be.
I'm afraid the last time I got really interested in something Agricultural was when my cousin set up a blind date with miss Mielieboer 1970 something.
Pavement specials are the best dogs to have.
I identify with their breeding.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Rocsta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by littlebrit
Hi I'm new on this forum.

My husband is South African and after 10 years abroad (during which time he met me, we got married and had a baby) he's very homesick and wants to move home to Johannesburg. I'm British and have never lived in Africa. I've lived overseas, but it was Europe and North America.

He has a job offer and he'd be working in Joburg's northern suburbs.

I'd love advice about meeting people, day-to-day life (yes, security is a worry for me), and adapting to the new lifestyle.

Thanks
Hiya..

I'm a South African and been in the UK for sometime now.Yeah,SA isn't a perfect country but i still like the country no matter what people say about it.It's hard to make a decision if individuals have negative perception and hardly frequent or visit the place.However,what i can tell u is that yes crime is there like any other country and depends which province u going too.Since,u going to Joburg,it's really a fast paced town which is very metropolitan.However,as i joburger...i haven't encountered any problems since i'm aware of my surroundings.It's matter of getting to know the area so that u can have an overview of the life that awaits u.If u don't mind asking...where in Joburg r u intending to live?

For those who lived in Northcliff..is still safe part of Joburg...Hope,this will help and can also check out this site www.satourism.co.za
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rocsta
For those who lived in Northcliff..is still safe part of Joburg...Hope,this will help and can also check out this site www.satourism.co.za
Do you think a tourism site will give a potential emigrant a balanced picture? Well, it will certainly give some pretty pictures.

Sorry, but I too know Northcliff. I guess you missed this.

TOP TV DIRECTOR GUNNED DOWN (IN NORTHCLIFF)
http://www.thestar.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=3198026

Sad irony was, this guy emigrated back to South Africa to "make a difference."
Old Jul 8th 2008, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Rocsta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pablo
Do you think a tourism site will give a potential emigrant a balanced picture? Well, it will certainly give some pretty pictures.

Sorry, but I too know Northcliff. I guess you missed this.

TOP TV DIRECTOR GUNNED DOWN (IN NORTHCLIFF)
http://www.thestar.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=3198026

Sad irony was, this guy emigrated back to South Africa to "make a difference."
Ok..Pablo the Northcliffer....nyc 2 know...lol.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rocsta
Ok..Pablo the Northcliffer....nyc 2 know...lol.
Sorry, I don't understand your English. Is this the kind of language people tap out on their mobile phones nowadays? Can someone translate it for me?

Last edited by Pablo; Jul 8th 2008 at 1:11 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.