Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Moved to UK now going to Australia

Moved to UK now going to Australia

Old Oct 13th 2006, 12:25 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Moved to UK now going to Australia

Originally Posted by liza-bee
Hi there. I moved from Zim to S.A. when I was 12, was really settled in Durban, and moved to the U.K. 3 years ago with my family, and just can't settle (too damp, and not enough sunshine!!), and we are starting our applications and hoping to move to Perth, as I feel it would be a better life for our two little ones, and also think, wow, this will be my 4th country! How have you settled in now Luma?
Welcome
Old Oct 13th 2006, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Moved to UK now going to Australia

Hi there. I moved from Zim to S.A. when I was 12, was really settled in Durban, and moved to the U.K. 3 years ago with my family, and just can't settle (too damp, and not enough sunshine!!), and we are starting our applications and hoping to move to Perth, as I feel it would be a better life for our two little ones, and also think, wow, this will be my 4th country! How have you settled in now Luma?
Small world. Also moved from Zim (Rhodesia) at age 12 to Durban then on to UK although have managed to stay here for 11 years!

Bruce.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

fastrhino will become famous soon enough

my wife is a Pretoria born Saffer and I am English, we got married in centurion last year and we are going to perth in May.

we currently live in the UK in the grim north, she dislikes the UK but as stayed for my sake, she dislikes the nanny state, the liberal attitudes, chavs and scroungers. I for my part fully agree with her.

we had a chance of a life in RSA but i would not risk our future security and financial security in what i feel is risky place to be right now, dont get me wrong i have been several times and Melissas family still live there.

we cant wait for our new life down under, we will be visiting her folks in march for a month, so it will be braai's, castle and biltong to look forward to going down to the eastern cape for a holiday while we are there.

mooi bly

mick
Old Jan 20th 2007, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

liza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to all
Cool Re: Moved to UK now going to Australia

Thanks for your replies. We have finally started to get our visa application form underway. On Xmas eve, we received a positive letter back from the TRA regarding our skills assessment, so can now go ahead with the main application. Alot of work on my part, as feel I am capable to do this without needing to go through and agency, and would rather put the dosh towards a trip over there. We too are hoping to go over March/April for a look/see. We are thinking of doing a house swap for the time, as will save us a fortune on accommodation and car hire. I'm really not enjoying January with all these winds and spend far too much time dreaming of the sunshine to come. Just hope the visa application doesn't take forever!
Old Jan 21st 2007, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

liza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Welcome
Thank you. Have you moved over yet and if so, where did you settle. Are you loving it??!
Old Jan 21st 2007, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

More Poms in Perth : tomorrow , 09.15 , BBC 1 !
( I am told that SAffers are plentiful there , too ! )
Old Feb 21st 2007, 6:12 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Thank you. Have you moved over yet and if so, where did you settle. Are you loving it??!
I know this is a tad late, only saw it now.

I left S.A. in 1997 and moved to the USA, and don't live in OZ but have friends/family who have moved there and love it

I think it is easier the second time around (I'm a Zimgal), but as my warning earlier on in the thread, you tend to be a tad of a gypsy once you leave the first time
Old Feb 21st 2007, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
I know this is a tad late, only saw it now.

I left S.A. in 1997 and moved to the USA, and don't live in OZ but have friends/family who have moved there and love it

I think it is easier the second time around (I'm a Zimgal), but as my warning earlier on in the thread, you tend to be a tad of a gypsy once you leave the first time
Where in the USA have you settled, I have family in a small town outside Chicago, who are so happy, great place for kids where they are, and a good friend in Florida. I travelled the States extensively about 10 years ago, after doing a stint on a summer camp, and love the place, but feel Aus would still be better for us. Wish Zim was still a normal place to live, as would have loved it if we were all still there, and the family is all now split up, but there's no looking back, only forward from here!!
Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

Absolutely to your last bit

And we're in Florida.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 9:01 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bruce67
Hi Luma

We have been in the UK from Durban since 1995 and are hoping to head out to Adelaide in 2007.
I am convinced it will be a lot easier as in 1995 we arrived in the middle of winter with the clothes on our backs and 4 grand. we struggled for a couple of years to get a reasonable life style. I think moving to another country is always difficult but if you have done it before you know what it takes and are not blinded by unrealistic expectations although i would like a bit of SUNSHINE .
we have British passports(wife from northern Ireland, me by descent) I have just got my southafrican passport reinstated but will probably relinquish it if things go well and I have th option of taking up aus citizenship.

Good luck
bruce.
Weather plays a big role !

Good luck