Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Moved to UK now going to Australia

Moved to UK now going to Australia

Old Aug 22nd 2006, 1:01 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Moved to UK now going to Australia

Originally Posted by Luma
Well now that I have been here in Aus for over 2 months I'm going to answer my own question.

No for me it was harder this time round moving country. The main reason is we have two toddlers and it moving country with children is much harder than just by yourself. I have found the stress totally overwhelming.

I got really depressed when I moved to the UK and I'm feeling quite depressed now. I miss familiar surroundings and good friends that you can just phone and pop round whenever.

But I do like Perth and I know things will improve - it just takes time to settle in.
I know how tough it is to move with little kids, and how overwhelming it can be. I just know that you'll settle down soon enough, especially as you start to meet some other folk
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Moved to UK now going to Australia

Originally Posted by Luma
Well now that I have been here in Aus for over 2 months I'm going to answer my own question.

No for me it was harder this time round moving country. The main reason is we have two toddlers and it moving country with children is much harder than just by yourself. I have found the stress totally overwhelming.

I got really depressed when I moved to the UK and I'm feeling quite depressed now. I miss familiar surroundings and good friends that you can just phone and pop round whenever.

But I do like Perth and I know things will improve - it just takes time to settle in.
Good Luck to you!
We also struggled in the UK and moved there with two kids and a baby. Those two are now grown up and we'll now be moving with the youngest. Am now fully aware of what to expect now but with the bonus of having my brother and family in Adelaide.

bruce.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 7:38 am
Just Joined

brofra is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Those who are moving onto Aus. You do know that you'll suffer from 'gypsyitis' for the rest of your life, from which there is no cure, right?
LOL, I think we already have gypsyitis! We are from SA originally, moved to the UK with British passports courtesy of British born parents in 1998........have had enough grey days to last me a lifetime though and want a sunny lifestyle! So we have just embarked on a course to Oz.........lots of paperwork to do, we have given ourselves 2 years to get there so no mad rush but systematically trying to get everything together (including a nest egg!).

Any tips most welcome!
Old Aug 24th 2006, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

zims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by brofra
LOL, I think we already have gypsyitis! We are from SA originally, moved to the UK with British passports courtesy of British born parents in 1998........have had enough grey days to last me a lifetime though and want a sunny lifestyle! So we have just embarked on a course to Oz.........lots of paperwork to do, we have given ourselves 2 years to get there so no mad rush but systematically trying to get everything together (including a nest egg!).

Any tips most welcome!
All the poor , dear SAffers !
So dead keen to move Anywhere , where the sun will result in carcinomae !
Even if they have to give up on Everything the 1st world of EUroLand has to offer , jis' to end up somewhere bland'n'boring'n'backward , End of the World , but : Sunny , ek se ?
What a waste , of too many ( a decent Mense )!!!
Old Aug 24th 2006, 5:50 pm
---------

Nomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zims500
Even if they have to give up on Everything the 1st world of EUroLand has to offer , jis' to end up somewhere bland'n'boring'n'backward , End of the World , but : Sunny , ek se ?
If you made sense you might be intelligent enough to be classed as stupid!!
Old Aug 24th 2006, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

zims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Nomad_H
If you made sense you might be intelligent enough to be classed as stupid!!
And if you had any sense , you'd soon know , what SethEffrikenz are like...
Old Aug 24th 2006, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Dunandjs2 is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems you know enough about us "Saffers" to think you may have lived there - so what are we like? Id say we were nice enough to give you a place to live when Mugabe kicked your arses - and we made no judgement on you.
Christ - you say OZ is boring and backward - I was in Zim in July 1986 and trust me, that wasnt exactly a hotbed of activity and forward thinking.

Have you been to OZ?

You should change your name to Bigot500

And if you had any sense , you'd soon know , what SethEffrikenz are like...
Old Aug 24th 2006, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Hey there - have you seen Zims500's remarks? Anyway - best of luck - I reckon if you get the ball rolling relatively quickly, you could be there in a year! What Visa would you be going in on? What qualifications?

Duncan

Any tips most welcome!
Old Aug 24th 2006, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dunandjs2
Hey there - have you seen Zims500's remarks? Anyway - best of luck - I reckon if you get the ball rolling relatively quickly, you could be there in a year! What Visa would you be going in on? What qualifications?

Duncan
Yeah !
There's any number of Australians , around here , in NW Erope , who wouldn't even entertain a thought , of ever going back to Down Under !
With sadness , I recognise that many SAffers don't quite have any such options , coming ( as they hope to arrive ) from where they come from ;
ergo , whereas Oz might be better than Effrika , not to say there's a universal panacaea , to everyone's sickneses and shortcomings
( and , from what I receive from SAffers in Sydney , NSW definitevely is NOT that !)
Old Aug 24th 2006, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Duncan
I chose to rise above the inciteful comments and just ignore the ignoramus!

We are applying using my DH's Motor Mechanic trade so would apply for an Independent Skills Visa, am sure we qualify, just not looking forward to the paperwork!
Old Aug 24th 2006, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

I chose to rise above the inciteful comments and just ignore the ignoramus!

We are applying using my DH's Motor Mechanic trade so would apply for an Independent Skills Visa, am sure we qualify, just not looking forward to the paperwork!
We used an agent - they take away all the hassle of the paper work - I'd consider that if I were you - they also make sure your paperwork is completed correctly - and they also are able to pick up on and ask the questions that need to be asked which arent necessarily on any of the application forms.

Anyway - if we can offer any advice etc - Please drop a line

Duncan
dUNCAN
Old Aug 24th 2006, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

We'll ignore this idiotic post as you have obviously been at the Lions a tad too much. Should have stuck to the mukaka there shamwari.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

rossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nice

I dont think it is the sun and skincancer that we all crave. It is everything that goes with a sunny climate. If you have grown up with warm weather, the outdoor lifestyle it brings and big open spaces, then after a while in the UK, you will start to feel caged and your spirit just dies a little bit each day. For us, the thought of staying in the UK forever felt like a death sentence. Now we are in SUNNY Aus (using the slip, slop, slap method to avoid skin cancer - slip on a T-shirt, slop on some suncream and slap on a hat) we feel like we have woken up from a long 8 year sleep (that's how long we were in the UK). Believe it or not, Aus is a first world country, even if parts of it still feel a bit backwards compared to Europe, but the lifestyle is fantastic.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rossfive5
I dont think it is the sun and skincancer that we all crave. It is everything that goes with a sunny climate. If you have grown up with warm weather, the outdoor lifestyle it brings and big open spaces, then after a while in the UK, you will start to feel caged and your spirit just dies a little bit each day. For us, the thought of staying in the UK forever felt like a death sentence. Now we are in SUNNY Aus (using the slip, slop, slap method to avoid skin cancer - slip on a T-shirt, slop on some suncream and slap on a hat) we feel like we have woken up from a long 8 year sleep (that's how long we were in the UK). Believe it or not, Aus is a first world country, even if parts of it still feel a bit backwards compared to Europe, but the lifestyle is fantastic.
I agree with you - i been here for 11 years and I can see a bit of light for the first time in ages - our visas are due shortly. I ahve to say that I dont exactly class some areas of Britain as first world either - so all countries have their little problems
Thanks for the "back-up" - lol
Old Aug 25th 2006, 7:08 am
Just Joined

I agree with you - i been here for 11 years and I can see a bit of light for the first time in ages - our visas are due shortly. I ahve to say that I dont exactly class some areas of Britain as first world either - so all countries have their little problems
Thanks for the "back-up" - lol
And Thank you for the back up too, I must admit I was somewhat taken aback at the nastiness of Zim500's comment, especially as I only joined the forum yesterday! Onwards and Southwards!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.