Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Moved to UK now going to Australia

Moved to UK now going to Australia

Old Mar 5th 2006, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved to UK now going to Australia

Originally Posted by Dunandjs2
Hi Luma

I migrated from Durban SA to sunny Haywards Heath in Sussex in 1995 and am now moving to Melbourne - I think life in OZ will be better for me and my family as well as the weather but i think leaving the UK will be a lot easier than it was leaving SA - Unfortunately, where ever i go, i will always have africa in my heart

Go for the gap and all the best

Duncan
Hey Duncan,
How I agree with your last few words. We emigrated to SA in 1984, only leaving in 1999 when we couldn't bear the horror stories any more. I worked at Sandton Clinic, Jo'burg and many of my patients were gunshot victims. My husband had a 9mm held to his head by a taxi driver and he was saved by one of his farm managers who told him that my husband was a good man and not to hurt him.
But yes, how I miss the sunsets, the sound of the bush and the the incessant bullfrog and crickets.
We too are off to Oz this year. I know it's not Africa but it will be great to be back in the sun.
Good Luck!!
Lou
Old Mar 6th 2006, 5:37 pm
It's not my real name....

coolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dunandjs2
I find your user name a bit derogatory by the way
Tough.
I know what it means, but in this context it is derived from my trade, refrigeration and airconditioning.

Take it how you like, we're all entitled to our own opinions!!!
Old Mar 6th 2006, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Dunandjs2 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK - fair comment

D

Originally Posted by coolie
Tough.
I know what it means, but in this context it is derived from my trade, refrigeration and airconditioning.

Take it how you like, we're all entitled to our own opinions!!!
Old Apr 9th 2006, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

rossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nice

We moved to Chester, Uk from Cape Town in 1997 then moved to Perth, Australia last year. We love it here. We would hate to have to go back to the UK. As for returning to SA, never going to happen!!
Old Apr 9th 2006, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear you love it there. We're hoping we'll like it too!

Originally Posted by rossfive5
We moved to Chester, Uk from Cape Town in 1997 then moved to Perth, Australia last year. We love it here. We would hate to have to go back to the UK. As for returning to SA, never going to happen!!
Old Jun 1st 2006, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Moved to UK now going to Australia

Originally Posted by bruce67
Grant
I think you are mistaken. Section 9(dated 2004) clearly states that the retention form (mentioned in section 6 and dated 1995 act) is no longer necessary all that is required is the correct use of passports ie entering and leaving SA on your SA passport as to not gain any privileges not due to you as an SA citizen as opposed to a visitor(taxes and duty free possibly?).

The only use for section 6 that i am aware of is as part of an application process I am using it for and that is retrospectively requesting permission so as to regain my citizenship automatically taken from me and all others by the act pre 1995.
I shall hopefully have my citizenship/passport restored to me in January.

Banjo
The high commission site in UK is also a bit of a problem. Apparently they are updating all the relevant information due to both citizen and temp res changes, this seems to be taking them ages(months).

Bruce.
Just an update to my situation re SA passport.
I was told today that my new SA passport is waiting for me at the embassy in London - Cool.
It took 9 months to get.
I aquired a Britsh Passport by descent in 1990 (ie pre 1995 law changes) under the laws at that time a person would lose SA citizenship automatically but under the new 2004 laws that was declared unconstitutional. I was(and others in similar circumstances)allowed to use the current "permission for other nationality" forms retrospectivly.
So by filling in a retrospective "permission", a determination of citizenship and the passport application I now have my SA citizenship/passport along side my Brit one.
The processing of the determination of citizenship etc delayed the sending of the passport application to Pretoria for three months.

Just thought this might be useful.

bruce.

Last edited by bruce67; Jun 1st 2006 at 3:26 pm. Reason: Got to correct at least some of the spelling!
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Dazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant future

Hi,
I haven't been on this site since I left the UK in Nov 05. I'm a South African and we left SA for the same reasons most of you guys left. We lived in the UK for 4 years, but we just weren't happy, so we chose to move to New Zealand. This place Rocks!!! We are so happy now and living a life that we would only have dreamt of in SA and UK!

Good Luck to all you brave Saffers!!!
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear you love New Zealand. My neice is moving there soon, so we hope to visit her there sometime in the near future.

We're off to Austrlia in 12 days. I'm getting quite excited now

Originally Posted by Dazlinsky
Hi,
I haven't been on this site since I left the UK in Nov 05. I'm a South African and we left SA for the same reasons most of you guys left. We lived in the UK for 4 years, but we just weren't happy, so we chose to move to New Zealand. This place Rocks!!! We are so happy now and living a life that we would only have dreamt of in SA and UK!

Good Luck to all you brave Saffers!!!
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Dazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Luma
Glad to hear you love New Zealand. My neice is moving there soon, so we hope to visit her there sometime in the near future.

Hey Luma,

I wish you all the best in Oz!! I hope you enjoy it there as much as we enjoying NZ!

Dazlinsky
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 4:39 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Luma

Oh, hope you have a quick settling in period. A cousin of the dh's lives there and wouldn't go anywhere else! Loves it to bits.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 11:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Just an update to my situation re SA passport.
I was told today that my new SA passport is waiting for me at the embassy in London - Cool.
It took 9 months to get.
I aquired a Britsh Passport by descent in 1990 (ie pre 1995 law changes) under the laws at that time a person would lose SA citizenship automatically but under the new 2004 laws that was declared unconstitutional. I was(and others in similar circumstances)allowed to use the current "permission for other nationality" forms retrospectivly.
So by filling in a retrospective "permission", a determination of citizenship and the passport application I now have my SA citizenship/passport along side my Brit one.
The processing of the determination of citizenship etc delayed the sending of the passport application to Pretoria for three months.

Just thought this might be useful.

bruce.

Did you have to get a Certificate of Registration or Naturalisation to acquire British citizenship, or did you acquire it at birth? Most British citizens by descent fall into the latter category, the fact they may only acquire the passport later on is irrelevant.

If you were British automatically at birth, are you sure you were ever liable to lose your South African citizenship in the first place?
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Moved to UK now going to Australia

Originally Posted by JAJ
Did you have to get a Certificate of Registration or Naturalisation to acquire British citizenship, or did you acquire it at birth? Most British citizens by descent fall into the latter category, the fact they may only acquire the passport later on is irrelevant.

If you were British automatically at birth, are you sure you were ever liable to lose your South African citizenship in the first place?
I was born in Zimbabwe to a English father. Under the old law pre 1995 the act of applying for another citizenship/passport was enough to lose it. In addition to that the interim laws between 1995 and 2004 which put those like myself in a catch 22 where having already had a British passport by then and having not "asked for permission" I was double disqualified in a way!

Under the new laws all that, especially pre 1995, was deemed unconstitutional. The whole asking permission for dual nationality has been dropped and replaced with rules for the use of a foreign passport by a South African citizen, although I do believe that those who didn't get permission between 1995 and 2004 may be in difficulty as they were not automatically deprived just had to follow the rules.

I'm no expert but I think thats the gist of it.

At the time I lost my citizenship I was totally unaware of the law which is rather amusing now as I was an officer in the Airforce which is open to only South African Citizens. I had therefore unknowingly disqualified myself in the middle of my service without knowing it! Lucky for me no one else found out

Bruce.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 4:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I was born in Zimbabwe to a English father. Under the old law pre 1995 the act of applying for another citizenship/passport was enough to lose it. In addition to that the interim laws between 1995 and 2004 which put those like myself in a catch 22 where having already had a British passport by then and having not "asked for permission" I was double disqualified in a way!

Under the new laws all that, especially pre 1995, was deemed unconstitutional. The whole asking permission for dual nationality has been dropped and replaced with rules for the use of a foreign passport by a South African citizen, although I do believe that those who didn't get permission between 1995 and 2004 may be in difficulty as they were not automatically deprived just had to follow the rules.

I'm no expert but I think thats the gist of it.

I think you've misunderstood the situation. What has changed is that those South Africans who *already* had dual citizenship, eg from birth in your case, no longer need permission to hold foreign passports.

However South Africans who want to *acquire* another citizenship must still obtain permission.

----------------

http://home-affairs.pwv.gov.za/sa_citizenship.asp

Loss of South African Citizenship (Section 6)
A South African citizen who by a formal and voluntary act acquires the citizenship of another country, automatically loses his or her South African citizenship.

Retention of South African citizenship may, however, be applied for, but must be done and be approved before acquisition of the other citizenship to prevent automatic loss of the South African citizenship. Applications must be on form BI 1664 and are subject to payment of a prescribed fee of R115-00. Applications may be lodged at any Home Affairs domestic office or if abroad, at the nearest South African Embassy or Mission.

-----------------

There seems to be a high degree of confusion as to the distinction between the rules concerning acquisition of a foreign *passport* compared to a foreign *citizenship*.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
I think you've misunderstood the situation. What has changed is that those South Africans who *already* had dual citizenship, eg from birth in your case, no longer need permission to hold foreign passports.

However South Africans who want to *acquire* another citizenship must still obtain permission.

----------------

http://home-affairs.pwv.gov.za/sa_citizenship.asp

Loss of South African Citizenship (Section 6)
A South African citizen who by a formal and voluntary act acquires the citizenship of another country, automatically loses his or her South African citizenship.

Retention of South African citizenship may, however, be applied for, but must be done and be approved before acquisition of the other citizenship to prevent automatic loss of the South African citizenship. Applications must be on form BI 1664 and are subject to payment of a prescribed fee of R115-00. Applications may be lodged at any Home Affairs domestic office or if abroad, at the nearest South African Embassy or Mission.

-----------------

There seems to be a high degree of confusion as to the distinction between the rules concerning acquisition of a foreign *passport* compared to a foreign *citizenship*.
I get where you are comming from.
The stuff you are quoteing is all from the 1995 act and still exists on most of the south african home affairs web sites. I am still confused but in the link below this has been superceded/ammended by the new sept 2004 act. just my opinion but hey all I'm worried about is I got it back!

http://www.southafricahouse.com/migration/Dualcit.htm

GENERAL NOTICE

SOUTH AFRICAN CITIZENSHIP AMENDMENT ACT, 2004 (ACT NO. 17 OF 2004)

The Amendment Act repealed section 9 of the South African Citizenship Act, 1995 as of 15th September 2004, which regulated the use of the citizenship or nationality of another country by a South African dual citizen.

This inter alia means that the system of exemption/letters of permission to make use of a foreign passport has now been terminated. No further applications in this regard may therefore be processed.

The repealed section 9 has been replaced with a section as specified in the new section 26B. Section 26B reads as follows:

“A major citizen who-

(a) enters the Republic or departs from the Republic making use of the passport of another country; or

(b) while in the Republic, makes use of his or her citizenship or nationality of another country in order to gain an advantage or avoid a responsibility or duty,

is guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding 12 months”.

From section 26B you will notice that it will henceforth be an offence for a major South African citizen to enter the Republic or to depart there from making use of the passport of another country. In other words making use of a passport other than a South African passport.

Furthermore, it will also be an offence for such a citizen, while in the Republic, to use his or her foreign citizenship or nationality to gain an advantage or to avoid a responsibility or duty.

In essence, the Amendment provides that a South African dual citizen can use his or her foreign passport (citizenship/nationality) freely outside South Africa, but in South Africa, may not use his or her foreign nationality or citizenship to gain an advantage or to avoid a responsibility or duty which he or she, as a South African citizen, would otherwise not have been entitled or subject to.

Any enquiries in regard to this notice should be directed in writing to the consul.

As you may or may not have noticed - South africa never makes things simple

bruce.
Old Jun 4th 2006, 3:36 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Speaking of passports, anyone know if they're resolved the problem with renewing a passport due to the shortage?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.