Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Moved to UK now going to Australia

Moved to UK now going to Australia

Old Jan 14th 2006, 10:44 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Moved to UK now going to Australia

I'm beginning to think that they'd do us all a favor if they posted the rules all in Tswana. At least then we might have a semblance of a chance of understanding it all.

But of course, can't make it simple for us 'chicken runners' now can they?
Old Jan 16th 2006, 5:45 am
It's not my real name....

coolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of light

Here's the scenario

My wife wass born British and moved to S.A. with her folks while a baby. She's got a british passport with a S. African PR stamp. I naturalised as a British citizen with the necessary permissions from south africa to obtain dual citizenship. I'm not too worried about my wife not having south african citizenship as we don't have any intentions of moving back there and if we did then I'm sure we could sort something out through my status.

What I want to know is, does the permission from south africa for dual citizenship only cover my British/south african status, or would I be able to obtain Aussie citizenship when the time comes around without getting furhter permission?
Old Jan 16th 2006, 11:29 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolie
What I want to know is, does the permission from south africa for dual citizenship only cover my British/south african status, or would I be able to obtain Aussie citizenship when the time comes around without getting furhter permission?
You could well need further permission. Is there a specific wording on the letter?

You should be aware that you will still keep your British citizenship even though your are naturalised rather than born British.

Jeremy
Old Jan 17th 2006, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Here's the scenario

My wife wass born British and moved to S.A. with her folks while a baby. She's got a british passport with a S. African PR stamp. I naturalised as a British citizen with the necessary permissions from south africa to obtain dual citizenship. I'm not too worried about my wife not having south african citizenship as we don't have any intentions of moving back there and if we did then I'm sure we could sort something out through my status.

It seems to me you need to make a seperate application for each citizenship because on the retention of SA citizenship form it asks which citizenship you are applying for (i.e. Australian etc).
Old Jan 18th 2006, 5:49 am

coolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of light

I'll have to have a read of the letter again, but even if I do aquire Australian citizenship without telling SA, how are they going to know?
What are the chances of them granting the permission for a second country?
Can they request, that you revoke your British cit. before aquiring Aussie cit?
Old Jan 19th 2006, 1:30 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have to have a read of the letter again, but even if I do aquire Australian citizenship without telling SA, how are they going to know?
It doesn't matter if they know - if you take out another citizenship without permission then your South African citizenship is instantly revoked under the law, and your passport becomes invalid.

What are the chances of them granting the permission for a second country?
I've not heard of problems. But if they say no, would that stop you becoming Australian?

Can they request, that you revoke your British cit. before aquiring Aussie cit?
I don't believe they can do that. They can either say yes or no, but can't put conditions like that on it.

By all means try to keep South African citizenship if you want to, and if they say yes, then go ahead provided you are ok with the conditions (like using a South African passport to enter/exit South Africa).

And if they say no, then you have to decide which one you value more: Australian or South African?

Jeremy
Old Jan 19th 2006, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
And if they say no, then you have to decide which one you value more: Australian or South African?
Well, let me think. Australian.
I can always reclaim South African citizenship. How can they deny giving it back, I was born there and lived there for 19 years before I left.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 6:03 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

I can always reclaim South African citizenship. How can they deny giving it back, I was born there and lived there for 19 years before I left.
it's not so simple.....you have to go back and live there to requalify for your citizenship.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 11:00 am
JAJ
Retired

Many countries do not let former citizens resume their citizenship, even if they were born there.

Jeremy
Old Jan 20th 2006, 5:20 am

What would I do without the imput from you guys. Thanks very much for the info. I'll definitely rethink the matter.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone that has joined this tread. Amazing how it has covered so many topics already! All very informative.

I've been away on holiday in sunny South Africa for a month and got back yesterday to a freezing cold UK.

We got so fed up with Home Affairs. I took me one whole year to get a birth certificate for my youngest. They seem to be experts in losing forms!

So we went to the private passport agency to get - full marriage certificate, full birth certificates for ourselves - which are required for Oz visa application. This ending up costing us R1700 for 4 pieces of paper and a SA passport for our youngest. But hey who knows how long those documents would have taken had we left it up to Home Affairs!

My advice unless you have months and months wait and want endless visits/and phone calls to Home Affairs - go the privately assisted way.

We've got SA passports for both our children, as we don't want to have problems if we decide to return to SA one day. They both hold British passports as they were born in the UK and their father is British. And just to give them even more choice in future their births have also been registered in Italy (I'm half Italian). We just want to keep all avenues open for them so they have choice when they finish school and decide to travel. I do realise that laws might change with regards to how many passports they can hold in future but at least their births are registered in 3 countries.

My hubby has got some phone interviews this coming week for possible positions in Perth. So we might be able to go the employer assisted way. Hubby is still working on CDR for Skills Assessment.

I'm not looking forward to selling our house. It is going to be so hard to keep it clean with 2 little boys!! We've still got a few DIY jobs to finish off before putting it on the market, which we are hoping to do by the end of February.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

All the best
Old Mar 5th 2006, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Dunandjs2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Luma

I migrated from Durban SA to sunny Haywards Heath in Sussex in 1995 and am now moving to Melbourne - I think life in OZ will be better for me and my family as well as the weather but i think leaving the UK will be a lot easier than it was leaving SA - Unfortunately, where ever i go, i will always have africa in my heart

Go for the gap and all the best

Duncan

Originally Posted by Luma
Hi there.

Are there other South Africans who moved to UK and then have/or are going to move to Australia?

Does anyone think it will be easier the second time round?
Old Mar 5th 2006, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

You will need further permissions, definitely
I find your user name a bit derogatory by the way

Duncan

Here's the scenario

Old Mar 5th 2006, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there again - my brother worked in Port Shepstone for several years and i worked at the old mutual office there in Aitken street for a few years - what is your hubbys name? - My brother ran a locksmiths from the OK in margate for a few years

Originally Posted by Luma
Hi Bruce

At the moment anywhere warm would be good - gee whizz the weathers been icy lately

We're also from KZN - I'm from Howick and my hubbie is from Port Shepstone.

We're wanting to go to Perth or nearby in WA.

Good luck with your move to Adelaide.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.