Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

from Zimbabawe, to Zimbabwe...

from Zimbabawe, to Zimbabwe...

Old Jul 29th 2015, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

Sid Read is an unknown quantity at this point
Default from Zimbabawe, to Zimbabwe...

Let's talks about Zimbabwe positively if we can..!

I accept that there are going to be some downsides to any permanent move to Zimbabwe but I grew up in Rhodesia & I don't have any rose tinted glasses about the "good old days". The "good old days" to me were days of endless indoctrination by physical & psychological abuse at school & bomb blasts, gunfire & civil war outside it!

I was never one of those rich white kids. I was the poorest white kid I knew. There were many poorer than me... but damned near every other white kid I knew had a massive house with a cook & a pool & a colour TV bigger than the Drive In screen! We had a black & white telly, we rented our flat in town where the "blacks" lived. For the last two & a half decades I have been cleaning houses in rich areas on London, scrubbing rich peoples toilets to pay the bills. I've tried my hand at various musical businesses that failed & until about 3 years ago I'd resigned myself to only ever being able to visit Zimbabwe & even then, given the cost of the flight, not very often. I've been back twice & the last time was in 1999.

But now I have a new internet music business & for the first time ever, I can earn a lot more than the £9 an hour I was getting as a high-class domestic! Suddenly Harares cheap rents make moving to the city quite viable. I can continue to earn the same income but lower my costs on rent & day-to-day expenses. I know for a fact that Harares rents are a third at least of Londons rents & I'd expect the cost of living to be something like 5 times cheaper than the UK. Correct me if I am wrong.

I'm not looking for the good old days, I'm not even sure what the hell I'm looking for. But after struggling along & bumping along the poverty line, surviving on benefits on & off for nearly 30 years, I'm inclined to consider moving my business to Harare.

I'm a music producer producing EDM music & all sorts of jingles & stuff. I've collected thousands of records over the years, even ran my own label in the 90's & I started a internet record label/shop three years ago that has produced a regular income & enough profit for me to consider moving my studio & all my musical equipment to Zimbabwe to set up a recording studio.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who lives in Zimbabwe, particularly Harare, & can spin all the negative stuff in a slightly more positive or at least humourous way whilst being honest & balanced in their comments. If you know anything about the music scene, night-life, artist, art, gallerys, places to eat & any comments on day-to-day life in Harare please post...

Thanks, & hello to everyone here

Last edited by Sid Read; Jul 29th 2015 at 8:08 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 12:15 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: from Zimbabawe, to Zimbabwe...

May I suggest you wait until Mugabe drops dead before moving back to Zims. He has made it clear he does not like white faces. Once he has gone, the country may try encouraging enterprising people back to the home land.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 7:37 am
Just Joined

"ja, head on back if you don't mind a few broken limbs, concussion & your homestead burnt to the ground". That would have made your point & made me laugh. You need to spin you dark paranoia with more humour

But other than that, no, not really. What Mugabe says has no bearing on my decisions. Yesterday David Cameron described a few thousand migrants as a swarm. What Cameron says about migrants, again, has no nearing on my decisions. His words would not drive me from England, & nor would Mugabes frighten me from Zimbabwe. I'm not fond of xenophobes of either complexion. I not afraid of them either & I would not let the things they say affect my plans.

I'm not here for political discourse on Mugabe or fascism of any sort. I'm here for first-hand accounts of day-to-day life in Zimbabwe, preferably Harare. If I wanted political discourse I would not have discouraged respondents to my original post from mentioning Mugabe. I see that there are opportunities to discuss Mugabe in the Africa forum, but I am not in that thread, am I?

But hey, I got a reply & I thank your for it Naturally, I have no intention of rushing into anything. Does anything about my posting suggest I might be stupid in any way? I will check the place out, properly for myself before filling my container! I'm planning a 6 week break in Harare early in 2016 & it's not likely I'd move back within the next 5 years... I'd love to backpack round the country again first, too, but I have an achilles problem & a long, restful break in Harare would be better for my health, provided I don't get concussion or necklaced or anything. Joke!

So yeah, I'll be able to give some first-hand feedback on Harare myself, with any luck..

Last edited by Sid Read; Jul 31st 2015 at 7:42 am. Reason: spelling n shit
Old Jul 31st 2015, 2:22 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

This is not a political thread, this is merely about self preservation during a turbulent time within the country. The last of my friends finally gave up trying to make a living there, and my nephew is active with wildlife preservation around Zims and South Africa. Just noting my feedback from him. However, since you sound like a tough guy and bliksem a few manne when challenged, have at it.

Last edited by Tegwyn; Jul 31st 2015 at 2:26 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 7:57 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
May I suggest you wait until Mugabe drops dead before moving back to Zims. He has made it clear he does not like white faces. Once he has gone, the country may try encouraging enterprising people back to the home land.
Which one? The current president, or his well-educated wife (who managed an MBA in 6 months and a doctorate in about 3)?

She keeps saying she doesn't want to take over when he gets tired of being rebooted in Switzerland every 6 weeks, but I imagine she'll be salivating at the thought of power and scared of the guillotine when he goes. And from what I've heard she's an ever bigger nutjob than he is.

Sid - good luck. We need a Zimbabwean correspondent and I hope you have a great time there,
Old Aug 5th 2015, 10:23 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Originally Posted by ededed
Which one? The current president, or his well-educated wife (who managed an MBA in 6 months and a doctorate in about 3)?
In what, macrame?
Old Aug 19th 2015, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

This year it is 50 years since UDI. Could it have worked ? Could the Federation have worked ? Was the dream of Cecil Rhodes just that - a bad dream ?

My experience was in what used to be Northern Rhodesia in the decade after Independence. It changed my life - and my outlook on life.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 12:12 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
This year it is 50 years since UDI. Could it have worked ? Could the Federation have worked ? Was the dream of Cecil Rhodes just that - a bad dream ?

My experience was in what used to be Northern Rhodesia in the decade after Independence. It changed my life - and my outlook on life.
Indeed, the federation years were a time of great promise and optimism. Likewise in places like Angola, Mozambique and South Africa.

Now they're just basket-case countries on a continent full of lost potential.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Federation was seen differently by the Africans. Maybe it could have been sold to them differently ? Or were they so determined on Independence that Welensky had no chance ?
Old Aug 19th 2015, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

This thread is for anyone on the ground in Zimbabwe who has something positive to say about the country. I don't care if they're old or young, black or white, rich or poor, I don't care if they're a student or a rich businessman.

I am well aware of the opinions of those who don't like Mugabe. They're irrelevent to me. Keep 'em to yourselves!

Sorry if I come across a little impatient but I've been wading through racist doctrine & good-old-days bullsh*t for most of my adult life & most of the negativity about Zimbabwe comes in some way from disgruntled ex-Rhodies & they're KKK-type sympathisers.

Any ex-Rhodies might be interested to know that the last time I saw a Rhodie flag on TV was when that bastard shot & killed some innocent, unarmed black people in a church in USA. He was wearing the Rhodesian flag on a patch on his jacket. That's the legacy of the Rhodesian doctrine, psycho racists. When Rhodies were enjoying "the good old days" of Rhodesia, black people were subjugated, abused, enslaved & disenfranchised in their own country!

Last edited by Sid Read; Aug 19th 2015 at 9:57 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 10:51 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sid Read
This thread is for anyone on the ground in Zimbabwe who has something positive to say about the country. I don't care if they're old or young, black or white, rich or poor, I don't care if they're a student or a rich businessman.

I am well aware of the opinions of those who don't like Mugabe. They're irrelevent to me. Keep 'em to yourselves!

Sorry if I come across a little impatient but I've been wading through racist doctrine & good-old-days bullsh*t for most of my adult life & most of the negativity about Zimbabwe comes in some way from disgruntled ex-Rhodies & they're KKK-type sympathisers.

Any ex-Rhodies might be interested to know that the last time I saw a Rhodie flag on TV was when that bastard shot & killed some innocent, unarmed black people in a church in USA. He was wearing the Rhodesian flag on a patch on his jacket. That's the legacy of the Rhodesian doctrine, psycho racists. When Rhodies were enjoying "the good old days" of Rhodesia, black people were subjugated, abused, enslaved & disenfranchised in their own country!
Sounds like Zimbabwe will be the perfect place for you
Old Aug 20th 2015, 7:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by paulry
Sounds like Zimbabwe will be the perfect place for you
ummmm that could be facetious but I'm going to take it at face value!

Thanks!

One thing's for sure, I do not now nor have I ever have fitted in to this consumerist, self-obsessed, greedy society with bad weather & even worse moods. I've been at the bottom of this society & when you live down here in the dirt you really see what Britain is about. If your life in the UK is lucky enough to be cushioned by wealth, you get a very different idea of what British life is really like.

It's all fine over here if you've got white skin, no dreadlocks & you wear the uniform of the oppressor, a suit. If you wander round the High Streets in my area with dreads & scruffy jeans you're treated like little more than a dirty, stupid servant!

I'm a the victim of subtle if not overt racism in the UK streets pretty regularly, & I'm not even black!
Old Aug 21st 2015, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sid Read
It's all fine over here if you've got white skin, no dreadlocks & you wear the uniform of the oppressor, a suit. ...
I'm a the victim of subtle if not overt racism in the UK streets pretty regularly, & I'm not even black!
My God, you've really bought into the bull, haven't you.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Some of these dudes here have not twigged to the fact that Cecil Rhodes is dead.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 7:44 am
Just Joined

They have "Good Old Days Syndrome", also known as "GODS"?

Originally Posted by Pablo
My God, you've really bought into the bull, haven't you.
Although missing a question mark & clearly of limited value to the purpose of this thread, this looks like a question. I might reply with one of my own. What "bull" is that I have bought into so much that you feel the need to post something so worthless?

Fortunately, I have found an a great deal of positive stuff from Zimbabwe, to counteract the well established paranoid whiteboy bullshit. I may collate some of it for you all when I have the time. Yes, of course there's a lot of bad press from Zim, you aren't a particularly clever or resourceful person if that's all you can find though. If you make a little effort you find that there in fact lots of positive news stories coming from Zimbabwe to counteract the negativity of mainstream media, & most of the folk who use places like this.

We get plenty of negative media in places like Iran, would it be fair to assume that seeing most Iranians think the west is the devil that they are all right? Just because you all think Zimbabwe is hell on earth does not make you all right.

Perhaps Pablo has never even been to Zimbabwe, hence the post that's heavy on the condescension & light on information.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.