Mixed Race in SA?

Old May 11th 2005, 7:50 pm
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice
Default Re: Mixed Race in SA?

Originally Posted by Becs
Who would you all say is the most at risk in South Africa?
Becs
Anybody whose face doesn't fit at that particular moment.....in other words, ANYBODY!!! I am not trying to be alarmist...just realistic.

Trouble can happen anywhere, anytime, to anybody.....white, black or otherwise!!

Be careful, be realistic, be aware, and enjoy!!!
Old May 11th 2005, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Scouse
Anybody whose face doesn't fit at that particular moment.....in other words, ANYBODY!!! I am not trying to be alarmist...just realistic.

Trouble can happen anywhere, anytime, to anybody.....white, black or otherwise!!

Exactly.

You have to be on maximum security alert. Pretend that you're a soldier in Baghdad. That level of alertness is needed in the Joburg/Pretoria area.

Since you're going to be with friends, it will be easier. Everyone is subconciously if not consciously on alert mode.
Old May 11th 2005, 8:13 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Scouse

Exactly.

Pretend that you're a soldier in Baghdad. That level of alertness is needed in the Joburg/Pretoria area especially at nighttime.

Since you're going to be with friends, it will be easier. Everyone is subconciously if not consciously on alert mode.
Old May 12th 2005, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

LOL I'm afraid even eating ketchup gives me heartburn, so I'll be staying away from anything which doesn't say 'for the wusses in the house'

-Becs

Women and children
Old May 12th 2005, 12:27 pm
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of

The vigilence of a soldier in Baghdad? The people I'm staying with are black Muslim Americans with a little local knowledge, so hopefully it will be ok. One of them, my friend's mother, is the kind of woman who will stop and pick up hitchhikers though (very very kind lady...too nice!), which I've heard is a major no-no. Her daughter, my friend, now lives in the UK after spending just a little over a year in SA. I'd be going with her, if I can drag her along! Apparently she was ostracised at school over there; not accepted by the white or black pupils. She has lived in Europe and the US, where she had white, black, mixed, asian, etc. friends, and so obviously it was a shock to her. She's changed a lot, and not for the better. I find that she's a lot more aggressive now, and never really relaxes. She's living with her sister and frantically does chores and helps out, so she, and these are her words, 'remains an asset rather than a liability'. Her sister would never throw her out, yet she's so paranoid. I find her bordering on bitter.

There was also an incident about ten years ago, where my dad's colleague's wife (who is from SA) saw my mother (who's black) holding my sister (blonde, green-eyed), and exclaimed 'Black women shouldn't have white babies!' I'm sure she was just nuts though *eye roll*

I'm just attracted by the scenery, and after reading so much literature from down there, I want to see for myself.

-Becs
Old May 12th 2005, 3:35 pm
Account Closed

The vigilence of a soldier in Baghdad? The people I'm staying with are black Muslim Americans with a little local knowledge, so hopefully it will be ok. One of them, my friend's mother, is the kind of woman who will stop and pick up hitchhikers though (very very kind lady...too nice!), which I've heard is a major no-no. Her daughter, my friend, now lives in the UK after spending just a little over a year in SA. I'd be going with her, if I can drag her along! Apparently she was ostracised at school over there; not accepted by the white or black pupils. She has lived in Europe and the US, where she had white, black, mixed, asian, etc. friends, and so obviously it was a shock to her. She's changed a lot, and not for the better. I find that she's a lot more aggressive now, and never really relaxes. She's living with her sister and frantically does chores and helps out, so she, and these are her words, 'remains an asset rather than a liability'. Her sister would never throw her out, yet she's so paranoid. I find her bordering on bitter.

There was also an incident about ten years ago, where my dad's colleague's wife (who is from SA) saw my mother (who's black) holding my sister (blonde, green-eyed), and exclaimed 'Black women shouldn't have white babies!' I'm sure she was just nuts though *eye roll*

I'm just attracted by the scenery, and after reading so much literature from down there, I want to see for myself.

-Becs
If you're staying with a local, you'll be fine as they'll be savvy.

South Africans lived for decades in a police state, where the media was totally controlled by the government. It is difficult to go against the mentality which resulted from the propaganda through which they were raised. Some people are just ignorant, and should be ignored.

I guess your mother's home language is Portuguese?
Old May 12th 2005, 4:22 pm
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by izibear
If you're staying with a local, you'll be fine as they'll be savvy.

South Africans lived for decades in a police state, where the media was totally controlled by the government. It is difficult to go against the mentality which resulted from the propaganda through which they were raised. Some people are just ignorant, and should be ignored.

I guess your mother's home language is Portuguese?
Yes, I understand fully. All of the South Africans I have met are great people, including my mother's best friend.

My mum's first language is Creole Portuguese. It's more phonetic than written, and very difficult to understand! It helps if you know a Latin language though. I can get by with Spanish, hehe.

-Becs
Old Jul 16th 2005, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

LOL I'm afraid even eating ketchup gives me heartburn, so I'll be staying away from anything which doesn't say 'for the wusses in the house'

-Becs
women & children