Reload this Page >

Malawi car rental & possibly buying

Malawi car rental & possibly buying

Old Jan 26th 2015, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

Bagpiper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Malawi car rental & possibly buying

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie here and although I still live in Glasgow, my wife and I will be coming to Malawi next month for a few weeks and then she will be moving there in September to conduct her PhD research for a year. We've both been to the northern region of Malawi many times before also.

My first question relates to car rental. We have a friend in Lilongwe who has offered to loan us his car when we are out next month however I'm looking into the possibility of renting a 4x4. I've priced it with one rental company (Avis) but the price is way above our budget. Does anyone know of somewhere else that could rent us a 4x4 for a few weeks?

When my wife moves over in September she will likely require her own car but I'm told buying one in Malawi is really difficult and it's better to go to SA or perhaps Dar Es Salaam to but one. Is this correct? We have an old Landcruiser here in Glasgow that we're also considering shipping out but I'm not sure if the fees are worth it for one year only.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Ryan