British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Africa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/africa-84/)
-   -   Lone female in East Africa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/africa-84/lone-female-east-africa-746454/)

fabflowers Jan 27th 2012 8:47 am

Lone female in East Africa

I have been given a job offer in East Africa on a one month on, one month off basis. Because of this, my husband will not be joining me. Please can anyone tell me if its ok to live in this part of the world as a lone female? Are there many expats i could integrate with in my spare time?

I would appreciate some advice from anyone living or has lived out there (exact destination to be confirmed later)
Thanks.:)

rosario Jan 27th 2012 11:38 am

Re: Lone female in East Africa

Originally Posted by fabflowers (Post 9868195)
I have been given a job offer in East Africa on a one month on, one month off basis. Because of this, my husband will not be joining me. Please can anyone tell me if its ok to live in this part of the world as a lone female? Are there many expats i could integrate with in my spare time?

I would appreciate some advice from anyone living or has lived out there (exact destination to be confirmed later)
Thanks.:)

Where in East Africa do you mean?

fabflowers Jan 29th 2012 8:23 am

This is the problem i dont know as yet. I would also like to know if in Africa they have serviced apartments? and i have been trying to find the cost of living?

MartynK Jan 31st 2012 11:06 am

I think you'll have to be a bit more specific. Can't the employer tell you where you will be based?

Paracletus Apr 23rd 2012 12:10 am

Originally Posted by fabflowers (Post 9871219)
This is the problem i dont know as yet. I would also like to know if in Africa they have serviced apartments? and i have been trying to find the cost of living?

Africa is a big place.. :confused

I've spent years living in Maputo, Mozambique years ago during the civil war, and more recently (10 or so years ago) in Mombasa, Kenya. I frequently went to Nairobi. It seemed to offer most of what you could expect in a capital city living wise.

brianK88 May 6th 2012 7:40 am

Please be a little specific of your location.

napatel2007 May 9th 2012 5:26 am

I have lived in Kampala, Uganda for 3 years and as per my experience its the safest and best place to live in East Africa.

RedDragon2008 Aug 12th 2012 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Paracletus (Post 10020262)
Africa is a big place.. :confused

I've spent years living in Maputo, Mozambique years ago during the civil war, and more recently (10 or so years ago) in Mombasa, Kenya. I frequently went to Nairobi. It seemed to offer most of what you could expect in a capital city living wise.

What is Nairobi like?

We have been approached to do some major infrastructure work there.

My concern is on soverign risk, and how difficult it will be to look after staff there for 18 months to 2 years.

napatel2007 Aug 12th 2012 10:57 am

Nairobi

Its also the best place right now i am in nairobi and i liked it too much

you can find many british and other nationalities here.

DanKingston Aug 19th 2012 8:09 pm

I know a few people who have lived in Nairobi in the past and their experience has been positive there. From what I have gathered it seems like a more pleasant part of East Africa, but that is from anecdotal evidence.