Living in Zimbabwe

Old May 9th 2008, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Arikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really nice
Default Re: Living in Zimbabwe

Originally Posted by Pablo
Then here is some advice. You need to examine your conscience, as well as merely weighing up the material benefits to yourself. You need to ask yourself what kind of person it is who goes and lives the high-life on the back of a brutal tyranny. You need to ask yourself about the I'm-all-right-Jack mentality of those who are happy to live in luxury, spending US Dollars, while the vast majority of Zimbabwe's population are at the point of starvation.

There comes a point where not getting involved becomes culpable. There comes a point where not speaking out becomes a disgrace. There comes a point where one can no longer count oneself a decent or civilized person, and should not be treated as such.

You can no more discuss Zimbabwe without reference to the brutal tyranny there than you can discuss Nazi Germany without reference to what the Nazis did to the Jews.

If, as it sounds, you just don't care about what is going on there so long as you're alright, then do you really think you deserve to be treated with respect?

Firstly, what is the difference between me living well in zimbabwe or in the uk, either way people are still living in desperate situations and starving. whether i am here or in zimbabwe makes no difference, of course i care about the situation of the people there, but what exactly is it that you would like me to do?, i care more so beacuse my partners family are living in zimbabwe and have done all their lives and there is nothing that i can do for them either, except help where i can. what exactly is it that you are doing to help the people of zimbabwe that gives you such right to scorn my actions and interests. the reason that i started this thread was specifically for information on living in zimbabwe not to get involved in the political suicide that the country is in right now, there are plenty of other threads specifically in place to discuss those agendas, if you have a problem with my request then feel free not to comment, i asked only for some friendly advice nothing more.

do not think to judge my character so easily when you know so little of me, i care deeply for the losses of others, i have spent nights awake worrying about it in the past trying to come up with ways that i could help, but like so many people have said, as long as the current government rule, nothing can be done. and of course like any normal person my own life has to continue and things have to be done, i do not suppose to be a mother theresa incarnate, for i am sure i am as selfish as any other normal human being, i do my best where i can and other than that have to realise that one person can not solve the worlds problems.
Old May 9th 2008, 3:56 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

I do not comprehend why you need to be so defensive. Firstly, I am a Welsh girl that grew up in Zambia, Zims and SA respectively. My comment to Rick has to do with blowing over what is a rather explosive situation in Zims. We have what you might call history so read the rest of the Africa forum to get the gist of it. Zimbabweans are running across the borders in droves, running for their lives and in hopes of having any chance of getting a roof over their heads and something to eat. I lived a part of that many moons ago so know first hand the feeling of having to run for your life. I know the impact of losing people to crime that we cared about. Do you? You've obviously read and heard enough through the media to get an idea of what is going on in Zims. No-one here is trying to stop you. Go, but don't wail if things turn dire and you end up stuck. Don't expect the law to help you because it no longer exists. Whatever you do, vote Mugabe because your life depends on it. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7391688.stm
Old May 9th 2008, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Arikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
I do not comprehend why you need to be so defensive. Firstly, I am a Welsh girl that grew up in Zambia, Zims and SA respectively. My comment to Rick has to do with blowing over what is a rather explosive situation in Zims. We have what you might call history so read the rest of the Africa forum to get the gist of it. Zimbabweans are running across the borders in droves, running for their lives and in hopes of having any chance of getting a roof over their heads and something to eat. I lived a part of that many moons ago so know first hand the feeling of having to run for your life. I know the impact of losing people to crime that we cared about. Do you? You've obviously read and heard enough through the media to get an idea of what is going on in Zims. No-one here is trying to stop you. Go, but don't wail if things turn dire and you end up stuck. Don't expect the law to help you because it no longer exists. Whatever you do, vote Mugabe because your life depends on it. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7391688.stm

i am only getting defensive because people are questioning my integrity. i am not for one moment belittling the situation in Zim, and no i have no idea what it is like to live as you have, which of course is why i am asking! i am just as happy to receive the negative advice as well as the positive advice so long as its constructive and not demening.
Old May 9th 2008, 4:08 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are misinterpreting things here.
Old May 9th 2008, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arikara
do not think to judge my character...
If the cap fits, wear it. If not, don't.

i am sure i am as selfish as any other normal human being...
Now why is it only selfish people who trot out this line?
Old May 9th 2008, 8:45 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Arikara
Firstly, what is the difference between me living well in zimbabwe or in the uk, either way people are still living in desperate situations and starving. .

that isnt really a very good analagy .... as I'm sure you know. Not quite the same state of affairs in the UK by a long shot

BUT - getting to why people get so wound up by Zimbabwe questions .... the people who are living the high life in Zim (as you will be, with house, car, school fees, FOOD etc) generally are doing so under the umbrella of corruption. EVERY single trade, offfical and company in Zim is backhanding to Mugabe's government to stay in business - this is a FACT, not a supposition. Your boyfriends company will be paying Mugabe to keep them safe, to get them bootleg fuel, to get foreign currency in and out of the country.

so basically - by going out there you will be a part of the political choas whether you choose to acknowledge that fact or not, I know its not your choice, but it has to be on your conscience. You cannot feign ignorance and say it has nothing to do with you ... you are endorsing it by becoming part of it.

we're no talking paying taxes here to governments we didnt vote for .... we're talking about lining Mugabe's and his henchmens pockets whilst he commits genocide on his own people.

And then he will disappear to the Mansion in another country with his billions, happily funded by your boyfriends company amongst other things like looted treasury accounts .... and leave the country at the depth of humanity.

THAT is why people are upset, that is why the response, and that is why you must look at yourself and think do I really want to be part of this .... because even though you think you have nothing to do with the politics - you do by assosciation of your boyfriend and his job.

I reiterate again .... if my hubby was Zim he sure as HELL wouldnt want to take his future wife there. Its about wanting the best for each other and being safe.
Old May 9th 2008, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

Yep, thats what gets me too, ...about this boyfriend- .....love is blind?
You must mean the world to him....

Originally Posted by islandmom

I reiterate again .... if my hubby was Zim he sure as HELL wouldnt want to take his future wife there. Its about wanting the best for each other and being safe.
Old May 9th 2008, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Leigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really nice

I think only you alone can make the decision to move to Zimbabwe.
Due to the nature of this forum, some posters will give advice based on their varied experiences of living in Zimbabwe and rightly so. The problem with this is the proneness to bias due to their subjective experiences.

Some of the posters have lived in Zimbabwe and then moved abroad and therefore could be biased in favour of life abroad vs Zimbabwe . I see a hint of irony about asking for advice regarding moving to Zimbabwe from people who might have moved away from Zimbabwe! however I understand your position to get as much information as possible. Nonetheless I think you need take some of the advice/insults with a pinch of salt.

All in all, I think you will need to make your own informed judgement based on the facts of life in Zimbabwe i.e the state of the economy, political climate, health system etc to make an informed decision whether in favour or against.
If I was in your situation, I would arrange a visit just to get a general impression of the country. I am aware the impression you will get will be different from actually living and working there, but it will help towards your decision. You would also have a chance to talk to people who actually live and work in Zimbabwe about what life is really like.
At the end of the day, life is for living and if you decide to go there, with good planning, all will be well.
Good luck
Old May 9th 2008, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Leigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really nice

So many insults, so little advice . Do I smell a hint of jealousy perhaps
Old May 9th 2008, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

irony- I see it too - in a way some of us have become, like freedom fighters, not unlike some of the well known freedom fighters who had moved abroad decades earlier, and lived in relative luxury while they sent their foot soldiers in to do their dirty work, except this part doesn't apply.

For the record arikara, please move- no problems. My posts are not meant to offend you in any way. If they do, I apologise.

I have friends desperate to get out. I have rich friends happy to stay (but strangely (not) enough, some of them do make sure they're 'out' while the elections are on or something serious is going down....just in case, if you know what I mean).

Its a funny old world

Originally Posted by Leigh of the Valley
I see a hint of irony about asking for advice regarding moving to Zimbabwe from people who might have moved away from Zimbabwe!
Old May 9th 2008, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

what?....about someone going to live in zimbo-land? I think not

So many insults, so little advice . Do I smell a hint of jealousy perhaps
Old May 9th 2008, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shiftdelete
what?....about someone going to live in zimbo-land? I think not
Then why the insults from some posters?
Some of the postings here are very disturbing. The OP requested advice not insults. Its immature and childish to be condescending towards the OP. The insults/words say more about the character of the poster/s.
Old May 9th 2008, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

, no offence to arikara, but other phrases that come to mind:

"to be honest..."
"I'll be honest with you..."
"trust me..."

warning, warning- danger

Originally Posted by Pablo
...people who trot out this line?
Old May 9th 2008, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

To be honest mate , I don't really think there's anything untoward- its a discussion forum...after all.

all you are looking at are words- you can't see a persons face or their expression, so there's no way of knowing exactly what the tone of the message is.

You know why the germans lost the war?... because the brits could take the micky out of hitler....seriously.

The same treatment should be applied to mbeki and mugabe- after all they have become the joke of africa.

Then why the insults from some posters?
Some of the postings here are very disturbing. The OP requested advice not insults. Its immature and childish to be condescending towards the OP. The insults/words say more about the character of the poster/s.
Old May 10th 2008, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

oops...did I say I had friends?

Originally Posted by shiftdelete
irony- I see it too - in a way some of us have become, like freedom fighters, not unlike some of the well known freedom fighters who had moved abroad decades earlier, and lived in relative luxury while they sent their foot soldiers in to do their dirty work, except this part doesn't apply.

For the record arikara, please move- no problems. My posts are not meant to offend you in any way. If they do, I apologise.

I have friends desperate to get out. I have rich friends happy to stay (but strangely (not) enough, some of them do make sure they're 'out' while the elections are on or something serious is going down....just in case, if you know what I mean).

Its a funny old world

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.