Living in Zimbabwe

Old May 8th 2008, 3:52 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Zimbabwe

I'm also watching Rickb and thought that whatever he is smoking is pretty good shyte.
Old May 8th 2008, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

What I find very amusing is that Zim gets their Petrol and diesel from SA,and the last I'd heard have'nt paid for a single litre in about 5 years.
A gift from your friendly neighbour.
Old May 8th 2008, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

I'm allright jack....
the mind boggles at how callously indifferent people can be. There are teachers being beaten to death, but I guess we've all been guilty of indifference at some time or another.

I wonder what its like: afraid in the dark, then being smacked, and again, and again, burnt, tortured, screamed at- repeatedly until the pain gives way to death. What must that be like? Maybe you've had to watch a close friend first...know with overwhelming fear, that soon it will be your turn.

and some people are getting paid in forex with a borehole and generator- niiice!

Pray this doesn't happen to any of you comfortable lot.

Total bullshit really.

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
I'm also watching Rickb and thought that whatever he is smoking is pretty good shyte.
Old May 8th 2008, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Rick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really nice

Originally Posted by Arikara
Hi, thanks very much, it is nice to hear from someone actually living there i think it will either be Harare or Bulawayo, which i think is quite built up, but not 100% sure! i will definatley take your advice on board, and it has been very helpful in answering a lot of my questions! thanks!
You really need to know and find out. There is a big difference in the cities!! Bulawayo is a lot smaller, less modern. I would seriously suggest you not to move to Zimbabwe unless you are really sure of where you are going, have seen the country/city/area you are going to live in. Its a huge step and really not one to take lightly. I would say the same for any country to be honest, but more so for a African country.
Old May 8th 2008, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiftdelete
I'm allright jack....
I agree, Shiftdelete. It's nauseating, isn't it. Of course he'll defend himself by saying he's just giving "the facts" and "a balanced view" and other such tripe. The man has had the moral equvalent of a lobotomy.
Old May 8th 2008, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Zimbabwe butchery... but hey, who cares when you can live the high life.

Jy maai wat jy saai, as they say in South Africa.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7390799.stm
Old May 8th 2008, 7:17 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

..... advice like yours is gratefully received!
I can't help feeling that whatever you hear, you will just ignore it and go anyway.

Oh well, good luck.
Old May 8th 2008, 9:56 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 1066
I can't help feeling that whatever you hear, you will just ignore it and go anyway.

Oh well, good luck.
I get that feeling too! well we all have to live and learn ....

I will leave the OP with these quotes from the British Foreign Office today (not a guy making a nice living in Harare, but a non-biased opinion for the safety and security of its citizens ...)

Quote : We advise against all but essential travel to Zimbabwe at this time due to the continuing tension surrounding the election and the deployment of uniformed forces (police and military) and war veterans across the country. In the absence of officially confirmed results of the Presidential election there continues to be a high level of political tension and uncertainty. The current situation is unpredictable, volatile and could deteriorate quickly, without warning

Quote: We strongly advise against visiting high density, low income suburban areas at any time; and farming areas unless you have a strong need to go there. Farmers or agricultural workers who used to operate in Zimbabwe are advised that in the current tense environment it is dangerous to visit their former properties or other agricultural areas: a number of such visits have led to confrontation and violence. You should also avoid areas where War Veterans are active.

You should ensure that your travel documents are up to date and readily available and that you are registered with the British Embassy. We strongly advise you to have your own contingency plan for how you would leave at short notice. See the General (Living in, or travelling to, Zimbabwe) section of this advice for more details.

There has been a general increase in the level of violent crime and a serious deterioration in the economy and infrastructure, making basic services, including utilities, very unreliable. Food, fuel and water can be difficult to find. Health services have deteriorated and can be of a low standard. It is almost impossible to access even basic or emergency treatment without first providing large cash payments

Quote: As the economy is deteriorating, the level of crime, including violent crime, is rising. In particular, there has been an increase in armed robberies targeting foreign residents. You should ensure that your place of accommodation is secure at all times. Mugging and pick pocketing is common in Harare and other city centres, especially after dark. You should be particularly cautious when leaving banks and cash points. Visitors to Victoria Falls, national parks and other tourist centres should be wary, as tourists are the principal targets for casual thieves. You should always avoid travelling alone.

Armed car-jacking has become a cause of concern in the major towns in recent years and the number of incidents is increasing as the economy deteriorates. Thefts and smash-and-grab robberies from vehicles are common. Drivers should keep their vehicle doors locked and windows closed, and be cautious when travelling, particularly at night and at filling stations. There are regular reports of incidents of robberies and car jackings of vehicles using the Harare Airport road. You should be extra vigilant when using this route. If possible, you should not leave vehicles unattended in isolated scenic spots or in unguarded areas in the towns. If an attack takes place, do not resist. Hand over keys and anything else demanded

ALL the above are from the foreign office website .... it sums up the situation - REALITY of it all.

If your man loves you as he should do - he wont ask you to go to such a dangerous place ... its that simple.
Old May 9th 2008, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Rick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really nice

Hey even I said she shouldn't move there based on what she knows now!! I am pretty surprised anyone would seriously consider moving anywhere, especially Africa/third world unless they have been there and seen it for themselves. To me thats crazy.
Old May 9th 2008, 10:02 am
Just Joined

Arikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rick b
Hey even I said she shouldn't move there based on what she knows now!! I am pretty surprised anyone would seriously consider moving anywhere, especially Africa/third world unless they have been there and seen it for themselves. To me thats crazy.
at no point did i say i was going to move to africa with out first visiting! i'm not stupid, although people seem to have formed that opinion! i am of course trying to get as much information as possible from as many sources as possible about a [U]possible[U] move in a year or two's time! this is not the only website i have visited, i will not be moving there with out first having visited the country and probably more than once. i am at the moment only gathering peliminary information, so that i have as much knowledge as humanly possible. this was not intended to start a massive debate, i only started this thread as a source of information, i am not stupid enough to move somewhere with no information and no back up plans. i however am not going to spend my life sitting in an office in England, i plan to move somewhere, and from my limited expierience not many places are as advanced or 'convieniant' as england and therefore always a struggle, and one that i am willing to make, obviously i'm not going to put my life at risk, but i am also not planning to move to the country in the next couple of weeks.

thanks to anyone who has given useful advice.
Old May 9th 2008, 11:12 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

i however am not going to spend my life sitting in an office in England, i plan to move somewhere, and from my limited expierience not many places are as advanced or 'convieniant' as england and therefore always a struggle, and one that i am willing to make, obviously i'm not going to put my life at risk, but i am also not planning to move to the country in the next couple of weeks.

thanks to anyone who has given useful advice.
there are so many many fabulous countries to visit and live in, many are just as advanced as the UK - but many arent. We live in a far more basic country and adore the life here ..... but its also totally safe.

Make a list of places you maybe WANT to go and live in - rather than just following your partner - and then have a really good talk with him.

Its a no brainer really..... its massively unsafe, its brutal, you will see and hear things that will make you sick to your stomach, you will be scared, you will be under threat WHY on earth would you even consider it??

Maybe even try neighbouring African nations if you're that convinced Africa is where you have to go with your partner, I dont know their situations but how about looking into Namibia etc??
Old May 9th 2008, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

TigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rick b
Children - whatever our esteemed friend Pablo might say, there is international law over children. It is governed by the Hague and Zimbabwe is a signatory. You can easily check what their record is like. You will find it is just as good as the UK and the US.
This somewhat amused me. There are laws covering genocide, rules of engagement in war etc ALL covered by International Law enforced by the Court in the Hague. Have these laws ever worried Mugabe? He has been slaughtering, maiming and intimidating women and children for 50 years with impunity. I was witness to the slaughter of an unarmed white family comprising, husband, wife, grandmother aged 90 years and 2 children aged 8 and 10 that were gunned down in their home by his followers. I also saw the remains of 25 black villagers (men, women and children of all ages) that were burnt to death in their homes because they refused to feed his men.

Mugabe has one law, his law, which varies from day to day depending on how feels. No one is safe as long as he and his buddies are in power.
Old May 9th 2008, 2:10 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TigerOC
This somewhat amused me. There are laws covering genocide, rules of engagement in war etc ALL covered by International Law enforced by the Court in the Hague. Have these laws ever worried Mugabe? He has been slaughtering, maiming and intimidating women and children for 50 years with impunity. I was witness to the slaughter of an unarmed white family comprising, husband, wife, grandmother aged 90 years and 2 children aged 8 and 10 that were gunned down in their home by his followers. I also saw the remains of 25 black villagers (men, women and children of all ages) that were burnt to death in their homes because they refused to feed his men.

Mugabe has one law, his law, which varies from day to day depending on how feels. No one is safe as long as he and his buddies are in power.
That was part of the reason why I commented on the stuff that Rick must be puffing on.
Old May 9th 2008, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Arikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really nice

That was part of the reason why I commented on the stuff that Rick must be puffing on.

look all advice and information is kindly recieved, seeing as it will be my decision, and it is affecting me, i dont see why anyone needs to put anyone elses view points down, i am taking all of the views on board along with other information i'm gathering and will make a decision based on what i feel is right for myself and my partner. if you have advice or information to give, it will be gratefully recieved, but please stop creating arguments over it as it is not helpful to anyone.

thanks.
Old May 9th 2008, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

look all advice and information is kindly recieved...
thanks.
Then here is some advice. You need to examine your conscience, as well as merely weighing up the material benefits to yourself. You need to ask yourself what kind of person it is who goes and lives the high-life on the back of a brutal tyranny. You need to ask yourself about the I'm-all-right-Jack mentality of those who are happy to live in luxury, spending US Dollars, while the vast majority of Zimbabwe's population are at the point of starvation.

There comes a point where not getting involved becomes culpable. There comes a point where not speaking out becomes a disgrace. There comes a point where one can no longer count oneself a decent or civilized person, and should not be treated as such.

You can no more discuss Zimbabwe without reference to the brutal tyranny there than you can discuss Nazi Germany without reference to what the Nazis did to the Jews.

If, as it sounds, you just don't care about what is going on there so long as you're alright, then do you really think you deserve to be treated with respect?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.