Libya

Old May 3rd 2009, 9:26 am
Just Joined

jimtheanvil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Libya

spaarkz

Good luck!

Charity organisations/volunteer things are not really as developed as in the West - there are some very small charities but there are no job agencies as such.

Most things are word of mouth and through company functions - best thing is to get here, get yourselves sorted (believe me, that's a big enough job by itself) and then put the feelers out.

Very limited opportunities tbh - but you make the best of things.
Old May 18th 2009, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud of

Hi There,

I've been reading this thread because we're considering moving on from the UAE (life has become impossible; cost of living is sky high and companies cutting back on salaries).

I do have one question - would you consider Libya as a good place to come and save for retirement in 10 years?? We live a very quiet life - don't like going out and we both hate Shopping. However I notice accommodation is expensive which is the same in both Abu Dhabi and Dubai - that's where a third of our earnings have gone in the last 3 years!

Any idea how much one can actually save - oh we're both vegetarians too!! We do have 2 dogs and a parrot though
Old May 24th 2009, 11:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Smoochy Girl
Hi There,

I've been reading this thread because we're considering moving on from the UAE (life has become impossible; cost of living is sky high and companies cutting back on salaries).

I do have one question - would you consider Libya as a good place to come and save for retirement in 10 years?? We live a very quiet life - don't like going out and we both hate Shopping. However I notice accommodation is expensive which is the same in both Abu Dhabi and Dubai - that's where a third of our earnings have gone in the last 3 years!

Any idea how much one can actually save - oh we're both vegetarians too!! We do have 2 dogs and a parrot though
Hello SG

Libya is a great place to come and save for retirement but with some provisos:

1) Your company must pay the accommodation. You can still find something for about USD3k or so but really, let the company you'd be working for settle the bills.

2) Libya is volatile. One can never plan years in advance here - a year at a time is advisable. It ain't Kansas ;-)

3) How much can you save? It depends but as a guide, I am saving about 90% of my salary here - and that includes doing a fair but of shopping etc. here too.

Any questions - give me a shout.

Last edited by jimtheanvil; May 24th 2009 at 11:33 am.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

mohey_36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Smoochy Girl
Hi There,

hello SG,
First I would like to intruduce my self , I'm Mohy Bazaa from Janzour , just 17 Km from Tripoli the Capital city, Some Expats did'nt go out of tripoli that's why they told you it's expencive but we have an old instance says( if you want to go any country you should accompany one of that city ) sorry for this bad expression.
you can find a lot of places to rent a property with a cheap price so you'll save a lot of money .
Please feel free to ask for any advice about libya whenever you like ,I'll be happy to give advice .
thanks alot
mohy
Old Jun 17th 2009, 6:55 am
Just Joined

LeapingLizard is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Everyone,

I'm a newbie to this forum. Found many information that I needed about Libya however I cannot find anything on schools in Libya.

A family of 4 with 2 children (13 & 15). What can I expect with 2 teenagers living in Libya? Can anyone help me in recommending schools around Tripoli with IB curriculum?

Many thanks.

LL
Old Jun 17th 2009, 8:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by LeapingLizard
Hello Everyone,

I'm a newbie to this forum. Found many information that I needed about Libya however I cannot find anything on schools in Libya.

A family of 4 with 2 children (13 & 15). What can I expect with 2 teenagers living in Libya? Can anyone help me in recommending schools around Tripoli with IB curriculum?

Many thanks.

LL
Hi there,

Schools? Well, that's pretty simple. It ain't a great choice, especially for kids your age.

Gems

http://www.internationalschooltripoli.com/

British School

http://www.britishschooltripoli.com/welcome.html

American School

http://www.astripoli.org/

Gems has the best rep - although it's the best of a not great bunch.

Teenagers in Tripoli? It'll suck for them. No discos, no malls to hang around in, no cinemas.

If girls, they'll be hassled non-stop by the local lads and won't be wearing trendy clothes out of the house.

Lads? You'll have to work hard to keep them busy - no fields for them to go playing football etc. out of school.

do ift for a couple fo years so you can earn/save money - but unless your kids are real home/beach bums, they'll find it hard.

Good luck though - at least it's safe for kids by and large.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for replying, Jim
Old Jun 25th 2009, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

askari2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Have been waiting to join this thread until it was confirmed I would definitely be accompanying my other half (askari1) to Libya. This now looks to be definite and I hope to be in Tripoli by end July 09. There are some important things to know - like hairdressers - Are they any good? Can I get my nails done? Whats the shopping like?
Old Jun 30th 2009, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

loutom123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jimtheanvil
Hi there,

Schools? Well, that's pretty simple. It ain't a great choice, especially for kids your age.

Gems

http://www.internationalschooltripoli.com/

British School

http://www.britishschooltripoli.com/welcome.html

American School

http://www.astripoli.org/

Gems has the best rep - although it's the best of a not great bunch.

Teenagers in Tripoli? It'll suck for them. No discos, no malls to hang around in, no cinemas.

If girls, they'll be hassled non-stop by the local lads and won't be wearing trendy clothes out of the house.

Lads? You'll have to work hard to keep them busy - no fields for them to go playing football etc. out of school.

do ift for a couple fo years so you can earn/save money - but unless your kids are real home/beach bums, they'll find it hard.

Good luck though - at least it's safe for kids by and large.
Hi Folks

My fiance and I are currently weighing up different areas to work and it looks like Libya may be on the radar; I'm in construction and it looks like there is a bit of work on there(...anyone need a QS??). I know some of these questions have been asked already but can someone please answer the following for me:

1. Do you enjoy staying in Libya?
2. If my company insist that I pay for housing allowance, how much would it be? From previous posts it looks like 3k USD minimum...is this right?
3. Will there be any problems with us not being married or will that be ok? If it's not ok to live together whilst not married do people get away with hiding it?
4. What is the cost of living for: weekly shopping, electricity, phone bill, cable tv, internet...and any others you can think of...
5. Are the housing areas in gated communities or does everyone mix together well?
6. Are the people nice?
7. What do you do at the weekend?

I'd appreciate any advice, I'm just trying to have a good view on people's experience so any info would be great.

Cheers
Old Jul 1st 2009, 3:50 am
Just Joined

Good morning,

After much discussion with family, we have decided to make our move to Libya. Although the company has a home fully furnished for us, I have opted out to have an empty home instead as I've have my belongings (funiture/tv/whitegoods). I have a few questions so if anyone could help,it is much appreciated.

1) On Libayan custom officers, how strict are they in terms of taking DVDs/Playstation games/X-box games/Music Cds into the country? I have a good amount of collection on these items as we have been collecting them during our stay in Dubai. Nothing explicit just good ol' family movies

2)In regards to pets, I intend to bring my beloved munchkins (cats), are there good vets in Libya? Is there a cattery services too?

3) What plug sockets does Libya use? The electrical stuff I'm shipping over(white goods/tv/game consoles) are British 3-pin plugs. Will I need converters for these? if so, can I get them easily in Libya?

Thank you and here's looking forward to another adventure!

LL
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 6:46 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeapingLizard
Good morning,

After much discussion with family, we have decided to make our move to Libya. Although the company has a home fully furnished for us, I have opted out to have an empty home instead as I've have my belongings (funiture/tv/whitegoods). I have a few questions so if anyone could help,it is much appreciated.

1) On Libayan custom officers, how strict are they in terms of taking DVDs/Playstation games/X-box games/Music Cds into the country? I have a good amount of collection on these items as we have been collecting them during our stay in Dubai. Nothing explicit just good ol' family movies

2)In regards to pets, I intend to bring my beloved munchkins (cats), are there good vets in Libya? Is there a cattery services too?

3) What plug sockets does Libya use? The electrical stuff I'm shipping over(white goods/tv/game consoles) are British 3-pin plugs. Will I need converters for these? if so, can I get them easily in Libya?
Thank you and here's looking forward to another adventure!

LL
http://treehouse.ofb.net/go/en/voltage/Libya
Old Sep 10th 2009, 11:51 am
Just Joined

Stooky is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

Sitting here - somewhat in shock - as i've just had a phone call from an agency offering me work as a PA to the Chairman of an airline in Libya.

Not a lot of details yet but I have to be honest when I say that whilst I thought of relocating, I probably wasn't thinking about Libya!

However, it could appeal. My questions are based around the fact that i'm a soon to be divorcee and wonder how sensible it is moving to somewhere like Libya on as a single girl?

The company are offering a tax free salary - if someone could explain the pitfalls of that and travelling to/from the UK i'd appreciate it, accommodation and all bills paid for and 42 days holiday coupled with free flights back to the UK for holidays whenever I wish (within the 42 day holiday allowance obviously).

It sounds like a great package but would be working for a Libyan man and I am wondering if it will be a huge HUGE culture shock to take on alone.

Having said that, the expat community seems to be thriving in Libya so i'm quite tempted to take my chances and give it a go.

Intersted in your thoughts though - going for more meetings regarding this role next week.

Thanks

S
Old Sep 10th 2009, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

askari2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Stooky. I've only been here a week and don't work but I can tell you that the locals I've met so far have been very friendly. Think you have to take into account that this country has a totally different culture of that in the UK. Whilst some of the women here are still wearing european style dress I've personally opted for trousers and tunics with 3/4 length sleeves as I a) want to respect their culture as much as I can and b) prefer not to attract unwelcome attention when in town (Tripoli). Social life here is zero - so we've chosen to live in an international community and we feel confident that by making friends 'on site' we'll be able to create our own social life. The place we decided on also has a club house and pool (although they don't open to October - hopefully!) and there are plans to have organised social events. If you decide to take the job would advise that you get your accommodation sorted first - living in a hotel in a town may well be difficult as a single female. As for the practicalities - supermarkets are good and stock most things you need; clothes shopping seems OK. You'll also need a car and driver! Good Luck!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Stooky is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply. Thought i'd post the perks package from the original job description and see if anyone can see any flaws.

Tripoli, Libya based Executive Assistant to Chairman.

The package includes rent free accommodation in a beach front ex-pat community, medical insurance, life assurance, sick pay and a good amount of holidays (42 days per year) with return tickets to the UK. Free transport to and from work is provided.

I'm seriously trying not to get excited! There absolutely HAS to be a downside!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

askari2 - are you at Regatta

Stooky - congratulations on your job. Go for it.

Downside to working in Libya

Yeah, there are a few to be honest but the key to making a success of the whole thing (I've been here nearly 4 yrs) is to treat the whole thing as an Alice in Wonderland like experience.

I'm certainly not going to dampen your enthusiasm and I love it out here - but be prepared to be resilient.

Key tips:

1) Dress smartly but conservatively.
2) Keep. Your. Mouth. Shut. Strong opinions on Iraq? Afghanistan? Israel/Palestine? Religion? Keep them to yourself and play dumb.
3) Pay attention and respect their culture and religion at all times when here.
4) Remember it's officially a dry country. No bars, clubs etc. and no alcohol. Of course there are always expensive ways round this but it's not a party city as such. I've totally lost my drinking ability (fortunately) since being here.

Sod it. It's a wild, crazy place - come and join the fun. As a single woman, you'll be fighting the blokes off, both locals and expats. Woman punch way above theor weight relationship wise here.

Any questions - fire away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.