Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Kenya - jobs/networking with Anglo-Kenyans

Kenya - jobs/networking with Anglo-Kenyans

Old Jul 6th 2017, 2:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kenya - jobs/networking with Anglo-Kenyans

Originally Posted by Nicholas99
I think you need to look up a definition of the word facetious. As I am someone is actually going to move to Kenya and plans to become a Kenyan citizen, how are such comments as these seriously helpful? Do they actually answer the question I posted? Is the goal to be helpful or just to express negativity? Think about it.

Best regards.
I think you need to look up the meaning of the word "reality".

From the CIA world fact book, the ethnic demographics of Kenya are as follows: Kikuyu 22%, Luhya 14%, Luo 13%, Kalenjin 12%, Kamba 11%, Kisii 6%, Meru 6%, other African 15%, non-African (Asian, European, and Arab) 1%

In other words the aggregate non-African population is negligible, and by the time you have analyzed the non-African population, the population of white British people living there is miniscule, and mostly those who have nowhere else to go (no access to British, or other citizenship) or are too old to be bothered to leave.

In short there is no realistic chance for you to move to Kenya and make a life for yourself. That's not being pessimistic, it's just a summary of the reality that you don't seem able to accept.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 6th 2017 at 3:01 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

Nicholas99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In short there is no realistic chance for you to move to Kenya and make a life for yourself. That's not being pessimistic, it's just a summary of the reality that you don't seem able to accept.
I didn't ask for your opinion. Your answers are completely unsolicited. I asked for advice on specific points. At this point, you are just trolling this thread. Your arguments based on race and nationality are absolutely ridiculous, to be perfectly honest. You might as well argue that people of other races have no future in Western countries.

I am legally eligible to become a Kenyan citizen and I plan to. What I do with my future is, frankly, none of your business. Please take your negativity and keep it yourself.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

We are telling you that you CANNOT just move to Kenya and become a citizen. Why is that so hard for you to accept ?

If you want you can fly out there, engage a local lawyer and soend the family fortune. You will still not be able to settle and acquire Kenyan citizenship.

Did you post here for information and advice or to have your erroneous beliefs reinforced ?

Last edited by scot47; Jul 6th 2017 at 5:41 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
Did you post here for information and advice or to have your erroneous beliefs reinforced ?
My questions have nothing to do with asking whether I am eligible to get Kenyan citizenship. If I didn't know something, I would not have posted it. You have no information regarding my personal circumstances or connections to Kenya. That is none of your business.

You are offensive and should seriously question why you post on forums like this. I asked for advice on several specific points. Keep any arrogant and negative comments to yourself. Stop commenting on this thread and troll somewhere else.

Regards.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

If you really are interested in Kenyan law regarding citizenship, you can refer to: http://admin.theiguides.org/Media/Do...zenshipAct2011.

But this is completely off-topic and has no connection with my questions, which asked about connecting with Anglo-Kenyans or British expats in Kenya. If you're not one or the other, or someone who has lived and worked in Kenya, this thread is not relevant for you.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

http://admin.theiguides.org/Media/Do...zenshipAct2011

is a dead link
Old Jul 6th 2017, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
http://admin.theiguides.org/Media/Do...hipAct2011.pdf

Missing the .pdf
Old Jul 7th 2017, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Nicholas99, you do not get to dictate who responds to threads, or what they write. Other forumites can participate in any way they choose as long as their posts conform to site rules. It doesn't matter if you agree with their opinions or not, or find them "helpful."

Second, you come across as someone who has never been to Africa, because if you had, you would understand that asking about your links to the country is not just forumites being unnecessarily nosey - that is paramount and primary information needed for people to operate in that part of the world.

Please don't be naive and assume that British political acts and discussions about multiculturalism, or American concepts about the "melting pot," apply in East Africa, because they do not.

That part of the world is a very tribal society where clan and tribe links are far more important than any over-arching concept of nationality. Your clan/tribe affiliation determines every aspect of your life from your employment prospects to who you can marry to what part of what town you live in. Think of it as the UK "old tie" or "old boys' network," but taken to the millionth power.

If you are white, that means you have no tribe or clan, and you will find almost all doors shut, unless it is in someone local's direct interests to open a particular door for you (not open doors in general).

If you are local, that means you are affiliated to a tribe or clan - you do have some doors open, but those doors are limited to whatever level of society your clan has been pegged to in the regional caste system.

If you are half British, half local, that is very restricting - you are limited to the doors in whatever your clan's place in society is, but you may/can/will be shunned as an outsider.

So, without any other information about you other than that you're just some guy who wants to go to Kenya - it is not possible to give you any helpful information (PS - I would have a read of those citizenship requirements very carefully if I was you - the authorities have written several of the requirements in a subjective way for a reason).

No need to thank me for this bit of Kenya 101 (I know you won't!).

But for your own sake, I hope you do a lot more research before going down there besides asking forum questions and arguing with people who don't tell you what you want to hear. Africa is challenging for even the most seasoned travelers, and parts of Nairobi are among some of the most unsafe in the world.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 7:56 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Alright folks, calm down.

If you disagree with someone, that's fine. But Africa is a complex and changing place - posting comments of a personal nature doesn't wash here, so let's keep it above the line or I'll get the tippex out and start snipping and deleting posts, ok?

Step back, breathe, relax.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 9:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by carcajou
Nicholas99, you do not get to dictate who responds to threads, or what they write.
Anyone is free to post in this forum, but I am also free to respond to facetious or arrogant comments.

I came here to make connections and get in touch with British expats in Kenya and Anglo-Kenyans and to find out about some job opportunities. That's it.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 9:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone is free to post in this forum, but I am also free to respond to facetious or arrogant comments.

I came here to make connections and get in touch with British expats in Kenya and Anglo-Kenyans and to find out about some job opportunities. That's it.
And the more you refer to helpful posters as facetious and arrogant the less help you are likely to get....
Old Jul 7th 2017, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Read the whole thread.

Regards.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 1:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Read the whole thread.

Regards.
I have read the whole thread and do not see anything wrong with the replies.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have read the whole thread and do not see anything wrong with the replies.
That's your take on it. Regardless, this has been a waste of time thus far.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 1:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless, this has been a waste of time thus far.
You're absolutely right, it has been a waste of forum members time, who have tried to help you and shared their considerable experience of working in Kenya and the culture there, and haven't even had so much as a thank you for taking the time to do so. Shame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.