Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

johannesburg accomodation

johannesburg accomodation

Old Mar 6th 2012, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

Curly27 has a spectacular aura aboutCurly27 has a spectacular aura aboutCurly27 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: johannesburg accomodation

Originally Posted by Maddyjvn
Sadly they are very strict about working here. Even being married to a Saffer does not mean I auto qualify to work. You'll need to seek work and then once you have an offer apply for a work permit which is just an add on to your temporary residence visa. That's what I did. It's become such a bloody issue I've quit work to look after mine and his sisters kids at the moment. I'll go back to work once I get my perm. status through.

Is there a company sorting out your hubby's? You should ask whoever's sorting his to help you with your applications etc it's much easier. And again if you're working or applying to work for a corporate they'll normally assist. Just be aware unless you're a permenant resident or very professionally qualified ie lawyer, doctor, engineer etc many companies are unwilling to employ non-South African residents even for temporary work or administration posts. It's because there is such a shortage of jobs and if they employ non locals it counts against their company statistics in terms of BEE etc My 12 years as an EA at Global Corp. level counted for nothing. They are very much pro qualifications and bugger experience. It's changing but it's still a mission for many of us expats.

As for winter here...high altitude, cold and biting winds in Jo'burg. We get black frost which kills everything green! It doesn't last long and isn't everyday but don't expect warm cosy days at 24 degrees. They will happen but in between the cold snaps. There is generally no rain here for about 2-3 months in winter. If you get a chance to head out towards the Drakensburg for some beautiful snowy scenery mixed with some good days of winter sun do. It will take your breath away!
Hi Maddy,

Yes the employer will be sorting out my hubbys visa - guessing by what you have said I might be not be able to work for quite a while. Im sure things will become more clear when we get there.

I will have to get used to the idea of being a proper housewife for a while, staying at home all day, cooking and cleaning , ironing, in the gym......etc.

ARGRGghgh - what a horrid thought !

Thanks
Old Mar 6th 2012, 12:16 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Curly27
Hi Maddy,

Yes the employer will be sorting out my hubbys visa - guessing by what you have said I might be not be able to work for quite a while. Im sure things will become more clear when we get there.

I will have to get used to the idea of being a proper housewife for a while, staying at home all day, cooking and cleaning , ironing, in the gym......etc.

Thanks
R2000 a month will get you a maid. You can then spend time in the gym and drinking wine by the pool while creating local employment....
Old Mar 6th 2012, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

non-brit-visitor is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I lived in Johannesburg all my life, and though I love my country, I finally packed up the family and moved to Belgium. I hate it here!!! The crime is violent and frequent and you have to be constantly on guard But besides that I want to add that the political future of South Africa is not very promising. The president is completely corrupt, and there are other political figures at work stirring unsettling movements. Please do your research. I would not suggest moving there if you are planning on making a life there. If it is a short term contract, may be well worth the experience...
Old Mar 7th 2012, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed
R2000 a month will get you a maid. You can then spend time in the gym and drinking wine by the pool while creating local employment....
Ah yes. I'd rather get murdered in my bed than have to get up and make it myself. (Pieter Dirk-Uys)
Old Mar 7th 2012, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pablo
Ah yes. I'd rather get murdered in my bed than have to get up and make it myself. (Pieter Dirk-Uys)
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a colonial lifestyle.
If I had my way slavery would be back tomorrow.
female, preferably pretty.

my Brazilian is in every Friday for 3 hours to do the Ironing and sort the house out for the weekend, love to have her everyday.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 5:19 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pablo
I've never seen you and Pieter Dirk-Uys in the same room, and now you are quoting him word for word. All becomes clear...

Originally Posted by Daxk

my Brazilian is in every Friday for 3 hours to do the Ironing and sort the house out for the weekend, love to have her everyday.
We should swap. Mine weighs 300kgs and has the personality of a traffic cop. And the scruples of one too.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I've never seen you and Pieter Dirk-Uys in the same room, and now you are quoting him word for word. All becomes clear...

We should swap. Mine weighs 300kgs and has the personality of a traffic cop. And the scruples of one too.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

He was an amusing critic of apartheid (aka multiculturalism) nonsense. As for colonial lifestyle, Daxk, I don't criticise it at all. Merely I point out that one provides entry to those that often end up robbing, raping, killing. It's a kind of rough with the smooth thing.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 6:23 pm
Mad Moo plus 2

Maddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Maddy,

Thanks
Housewifedom rocks if you follow the advice and get a maid...

WOO HOO for the local domestic services

Originally Posted by non-brit-visitor
Hi
I lived in Johannesburg all my life, and though I love my country, I finally packed up the family and moved to Belgium. I hate it here!!! The crime is violent and frequent and you have to be constantly on guard But besides that I want to add that the political future of South Africa is not very promising. The president is completely corrupt, and there are other political figures at work stirring unsettling movements. Please do your research. I would not suggest moving there if you are planning on making a life there. If it is a short term contract, may be well worth the experience...
****...I married a Saffer, bought a house here and have 1 child and 1 on the way...what a mistaker to maker!! LOL

Originally Posted by Daxk

WTF...don't ever be giving advice to my hubby you naughty man. He's already suggested Dutch exchange student nanny's...

LOL I think her sister works for me too LOL
Old Mar 15th 2012, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

I've actually worked out why South African Girls are better....
because of the weather, they wear less clothes.
in Europe,in Winter, by the time you have undressed a lady you have forgotten why..
;-)))))
Old Apr 12th 2012, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Curly27 has a spectacular aura aboutCurly27 has a spectacular aura aboutCurly27 has a spectacular aura about

Hi All,

Just thought I would give an update. The deal is done and the flights are booked for the 23rd April ! Yeah.

Its all a mad rush - last minute packing and arrangements.

Last day at work yesterday - 1st time I have been unemployed for 20 years - Scary stuff.

My boss had to virtually surgically remove my blackberry from me, snatched my laptop as I cuddled it to my chest - told me to let go and go and enjoy my new life !

A couple of bottles of good italian wine last night calmed me down a little tho. lol.

We are to stay in a hotel for 3 weeks when we get there while we find our permanent accomodation - so sure to be asking for advice on location etc then.

Thanks All for your previous feedback.

Liz
Old Apr 12th 2012, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Just thought I would give an update. The deal is done and the flights are booked for the 23rd April ! Yeah.

Last day at work yesterday - 1st time I have been unemployed for 20 years - Scary stuff.

My boss had to virtually surgically remove my blackberry from me, snatched my laptop as I cuddled it to my chest - told me to let go and go and enjoy my new life !

A couple of bottles of good italian wine last night calmed me down a little tho. lol.

We are to stay in a hotel for 3 weeks when we get there while we find our permanent accomodation - so sure to be asking for advice on location etc then.

Liz

All the best on your move to Joeys!

Stay safe and enjoy!
Old Apr 12th 2012, 10:52 am

Liz
Good Italian wine? Nothing compared to the stuff we have down here, it's much better than that muck...

Let us know when you are ready for location advice - we'll be happy to help.

Best of luck, shout if you need any information. Don't be put off by the miserable buggers at passport control. They are always like that.

Cheers

Ed
Old Apr 16th 2012, 1:40 pm
Mad Moo plus 2

Maddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of light

Hi All,

Liz
Good luck honey, with everything! Just shout if you need anything, can't find anything etc etc. I'd be only happy to help. I was thinking about stuff you might need to know -- stuff only women care about LOL so here goes:

Supermarkets / Food Groceries

Woolworths - M&S (also does clothes like M&S - same set up and sometimes you even find M&S packaging shock horror)
Pick & Pay - Sainsburys (some stores border on Waitrose but not many)
Checkers Hyper, Checkers - Tesco
Shopright - Same group as Checkers but cheaper lower aimed / grade market

Chemists - Clicks & Dischem are like Boots - You can get reward cards like Boots which are very useful, money off, money back etc if you join the club card.

Clothes - Edgars, Truworths or Woolworths department stores all alike to Debenhams / John Lewis but there are loads of smaller high street chains/shops. If you want less high street type stuff then I tend to go to malls in Sandton or Clear Water in the North West Rand. You get shops like Poetry and a lot more boutiques and designer goods. You'll soon get to know which malls are an arse ache and which are nice to shop in. I avoid Saturday trips to all malls as they are choca normally. I prefer mid week morning shopping when most of my local malls are dead quiet.

And Ed's right - wine is fab here I'm missing it terribley with all this pregnancy business!

Enjoy and welcome to Joey life!
Old Apr 19th 2012, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yep, wine is good. From what I remember, Nederburg Baronne is my fave Red over there. Try it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.