Reload this Page >

Introduce yourself before posting

Introduce yourself before posting

Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

Samiya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Introduce yourself before posting

Hello!
Well i married my husband who is South African in january of this year while we were living together in England. He recently went back to SA for a few months to visit the family and I am now looking into going out there on a temporary visa for 2 years to see if we want to move there permanently or settle in England. My husband is from Cape Town and is hoping I will love it and want to stay there althougth I have a lot of reservations. He hated it in England as he said there's nothing to do and it is a miserable place and he hates the weather. I have never visited South Africa so can't even comment but the crime scares the hell out of me.
I will be asking for a lot of advice shortly while i try and prepare my documents for the visa and am hoping to find people on here to help me out!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

expateek is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I'm an American. Our family was in the UK from 2002-2005 and we moved to Johannesburg in 2005. I lasted less than a year and returned to the UK in 2006 along with our youngest daughter. My husband stayed another year to finish his contract. We had ALL the nice, wonderful South African stuff -- estate, domestic workers, pool, tennis court, fantastic security -- but I was robbed by an armed gang at an exercise class only four months into the mission. We promptly shipped our daughter back to England ASAP and I spent all my time figuring out how to escape SA. Everyone had MULTIPLE crime stories to tell. It was terrifying and getting worse all the time. Everyone I know, and all my husband's colleagues, are working on their "exit plan", especially if Zuma is the next president. Not many are optimistic.
I recently posted all of my writing from the South African period on a blog, (SNIP) If you want to get a feel for living in Jo'burg, check it out. Robbery described in January 2006 postings.
Recommendation? There's a reason so many people are emigrating, leaving SA. Take the hint.
Now I live in Poland and it's lovely. I can walk anywhere without fear and the decorative gates at the driveway are mostly just for decoration. Freedom from fear is something no money can buy, and it is PRICELESS.
x

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Aug 7th 2008 at 6:02 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 8:32 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi expateek and welcome. Sad to hear that you are one more statistic, but fortunately you did recognize the signs enough to know what to do next. Glad you are settled now.

Hey Mitzy, what is wrong with posting a link to your blog? She's not selling anything is she??
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

OK, OK...I come in with my hands up...I am here to confess...I am an Australian! Now that we have that piece of vulnerability out in the open.....

Was in the Australian Army from 1982 to Dec 2005, worked in a number of different places in that capacity. From Cambodia, Bosnia, Mozambique, to East Timor.

Left the military and I have been working as a contractor in Afghanistan for a while now. Despite the above sojourns, I am happily married, with financial and emotional responsibility for 5 kids...which gives you an idea why I am overseas earning the tax free coin.

The absolutley best place I ever worked was Mozambique. I must profess a bias though....I met my wife there. She is a Mozambican with 6 languages, and positively the most beautiful and gutsiest woman I am yet to meet. She left her extensive family, to come with 3 kids to marry me and live in Australia. We have been married now for 8 years and life just keeps getting better.

My next job is to be African based and initially centred in Ghana, with future business opportunities to be expanded in the SE of Africa. This will give us the greater opportunity to work on some properties we own in Mozambique, with the long term view for us to have life choices in both Mozambique and Australia.

Cheers,

John
Old Aug 18th 2008, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome JR, will agree totally about Mocambique and chat in the main forum, there seems to be a fair sprinkling of ex military types around.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 9:42 am
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Just so everyone has an idea of who you are and what you are doing, why not post a few lines here just introducing yourself to the other SA forum members

Then get posting!
Hi,

Totally new to this part of the BE board, normally I post on the ME section. I'm Dutch but hold a USA passport as well. Born there, but grew up in Europe. I've lived and worked near Durban, S. Africa in the late 1980's. Left SA just before Mandela was released from prison. "Hell's December" as it was then nicknamed by a lot of expats because of the murdering and stealing going on by locals made me resign. Having ram bars built onto my jeep (despite my protests) was one thing. (Okay, admit to the trick of the five shotgun shells in the window with a lamp above it at night time as a warning to thieves.) But being asked by my then employer, to drive around with a loaded shotgun lying on the back seat? And to actually use it if needed? That for me was the straw that broke the camels back. Not even an extremely well paid expat job was worth that to me. Resigned and left South Africa on 20-12-1989 for good, never to return.

Dutchie

Last edited by Dutchie; Aug 20th 2008 at 10:40 am.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

loup1103 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everybody,

My name is Lou and I was hoping that somebody might be ale to give me some advise!

I'm 23 and my boyfriend is Afrikaans. I want to move out to South Africa to be with him. I have a BSc in Geology but i now work at a PR agency (long story!). Will they let me move to south africa?!! Do they only except skilled workers? i want to stay in PR but i dont think i can just move over there and get a job in ths field. i'm at a bit of a loss of who to get in contact with to answer my questions!

Can anybody help?

Lou x
Old Sep 15th 2008, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

El_Chango has a brilliant futureEl_Chango has a brilliant futureEl_Chango has a brilliant futureEl_Chango has a brilliant futureEl_Chango has a brilliant futureEl_Chango has a brilliant futureEl_Chango has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by loup1103
Hi everybody,

My name is Lou and I was hoping that somebody might be ale to give me some advise!

I'm 23 and my boyfriend is Afrikaans. I want to move out to South Africa to be with him. I have a BSc in Geology but i now work at a PR agency (long story!). Will they let me move to south africa?!! Do they only except skilled workers? i want to stay in PR but i dont think i can just move over there and get a job in ths field. i'm at a bit of a loss of who to get in contact with to answer my questions!

Can anybody help?

Lou x
Welcome X. My advice is if he's not proposing marriage, move on to another challenge. There is no humor or ill will in my advice. Good luck.

PS: If he has proposed, congratulations and good luck.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:58 am
Just Joined

CathieG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone

I'm living in Johannesburg, South Africa, have been here for 27 years. Great lifestyle, love the climate - hate what is happening to this beautiful country. My partner & I are looking at returning to the UK to retire - we both have kept up our UK pensions. We're visiting the Uk on holiday soon and will try and assess if we really could live there again. However, when it comes to your life and security I suppose there's no argument......
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:47 pm
annapl

im welsh and living in uk, my partners south african and is based out of Durban, but travels a great deal, im considering living between to places, starting a biz that will operate here and there so will almost be in uk half month sa the other.. I have to say, i love the place, yes it has problems, in every sense, crime is shocking and the constant news stories are scarey, but pick up a paper or switch on the news anywhere and you can see how anywhere can appear the same (although i now SA is in overdrive) i know plenty of people who have moved away, and plenty who have stayed for varying reasons, none right , none wrong i guess its all down to the individual and how they perceive things..

Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Anna, I agree you should percieve things for yourself.
is there a factory somewhere??
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

ebgbs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I AM COMPLETELY MENTAL WITH A DEATH WISH AREN'T I?!

I am white, British, with a 4 year old & a 2 year old considering moving to Cape Town because I have met a man who is everything I could dream of for my boys and I. HOWEVER my S.A. man is very much needed by his family back home (we're currently in the UK) and although we are besotted with one another it is looking like unless I go to Cape Town with my 2 boys then we are going to loose one another forever. If this was (pretty much) anywhere else in the world this would be a no brainer-BUT-when I read some of the horror stories it makes me feel that I am crazy considering this for me & my little ones!
I have read the stats, I have read the horror stories. I have visited Capetown and met people that haven't been affected by crime but it seems there a lot more that have. I am afraid to go, then again, I'm afraid that if I stay and loose this wonderful person that I will regret it forever! So-here I am, sharing, researching, hoping, wondering etc etc! Please share your thoughts!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi ebgbs, we cant talk to you here on the introduce yourself thread, post in the main body and you will get lots of comment.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 11:25 am
Account Closed

SabsLee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

My name is Sabrina, Im from the UK but have lived and studied in South Africa for 4 years. Ive been back in the uk for 2 years and now ive just ben offered job in Cape Town. I absolutley cant wait to go back. Will be good to chat to you all.

But first.....the South Africa High commission. Oh heaven help me the schlepp of it all. I need to get a South Africa Police clearance. I have a CRB check for the uk, but how do i go about getting this without it taking forever so i can get to CT and start work in Mid-Jan. Im really freaking out bout this one piece of papaer. I have everything else in including x-rays etc.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Sabrina
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of

Hello all,
My name is Graham.
We (the parents & bro's) moved out to CPT in 1969
We lived in Plumstead, just by the blocks of flats, Alphendale, Oakdale etc.
I went to Plumstead Primary and into Std 5.
From there I went to Plumstead High.
Still having a great time.
I left at Std 8 to do my electrical apprentischip.
Eventually my parents moved back to UK, and I stayed on for another year.
Just having too much fun.
So many women, so little time, (sorry girls).
Any way, I moved back to UK also the following year.
I lived in the UK for 20 years, then got divorced, and then married a SA girl.
We decided to buy a house in CPT, for the extended holidays that I could enjoy.
Typically, work for myself, and take a 3 month holiday in CPT.
So, now I am living in UK and in Oslo. Oslo has great wages. I am just following the money.
Busy saving to buy another house in the Northern suburbs, I like up on the hill looking towards Table Mountain. not as far as Paarl, but between CPT and Tygervalley
So, that me.
Hopefully in another 12 months, I will have bought another house in CPT, and just be making some savings for retirement.
Yup, Not waiting till I am old and grey, if you want me, you can find me on the beach.
I am going to be a beach bum.
Oh, and when me and the wife go back to CPT, we are going to drive our Toyota Land Cruiser there.
It will probably take us 3 months.
There will be about 4 ~ 6 vehicles doing the trip.
Some will drive back, some will container back, but I will stay there.
I am looking for prices to get a 40 foot container priced up to ship to CPT.
We will be taking all our furniture and electric stuff etc.
Graham

Last edited by uk_vette; Nov 19th 2008 at 5:20 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.