Reload this Page >

Introduce yourself before posting

Introduce yourself before posting

Old Mar 15th 2012, 6:06 am
Just Joined

damon.shurville is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Introduce yourself before posting

Hi Sue,

Not really gone into Jo'burg properly yet, am working in Sandton. Its got a huge mall thats easy to get lost in and I'm finding it a bit warm with a suit on having left 8 degree temperatures in the UK to 28 degrees in Sandton.

Should be better once I get used to it :-)

Are you here too?
Old Mar 15th 2012, 6:29 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by damon.shurville
I like Scuba diving, Rugy, Baseball and travelling and am looking forward to doing all of these over here :-)

:-)
Hey Damon, welcome to South Africa!

Plenty of scuba diving (not so much in Joburg - we're 700km inland), far too much rugby for a civilised country and I have never seen anyone play baseball. Lots of baseball bats though. It's a great country for travelling and exploring - you'll have a jol. (that's a daft local word for party, pronounced "jawl").

Let us know if you have any specific settling questions - driving licence (good luck) home affairs, residency, renting / buying houses or cars, and - most importantly - what to take to a braai. Here's a hint, don't take burgers. You will be laughed at....no point in you making the same mistakes when settling that we made.

Good luck

Ed
Old Mar 15th 2012, 8:09 am
Mad Moo plus 2

Maddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of light

Hello everyone,

I moved to the Jo'Burg area on 12th March so have been here less than a week so far.

Moved from Ascot in the UK, small place but most people have heard of it due to the Racecourse there.

Moved out to South Africa with work as I am fed up with Britain - weather, over charged for everything, politics, Euro laws etc..... Love our heritage, history and countryside though :-)

Working for an independant financial consultancy - largest in the world. I deal with Offshore investments, moving UK pensions (not state pension though) to an offshore tax free environment, long term savings/investments, funds and financial planning. I can deal with people of any nationality but have some great products for expats and a consultation with me is FREE! So if you are an expat or local who wants to invest internationally then give me a shout.

I like Scuba diving, Rugy, Baseball and travelling and am looking forward to doing all of these over here :-)

:-)
Welcome. Make sure you get out of Sandton every now and then!! SA's not for sissies you'll either love it or hate it, but there are much nicer parts than Sandton.

Good luck with the new job. I've been contacted by your company before, interesting products but not for me. Thanks for the offer though.

As Ed said, if you need any advice on life here just give us a shout or post a thread in the Africa Forum (under rest of the World). Happy to help.

Enjoy!! Madz

PS Check out Dischem and Clicks for offers on Sun Lotion at the moment if you're in need of protecting your lovely English Skin! Get it now whilst we head into winter it's a lot cheaper.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sue,

Not really gone into Jo'burg properly yet, am working in Sandton. Its got a huge mall thats easy to get lost in and I'm finding it a bit warm with a suit on having left 8 degree temperatures in the UK to 28 degrees in Sandton.

Should be better once I get used to it :-)

Are you here too?
Hi Damon and Welcome to BE.

Sandton Rocks. Joburg Central is not so great.

Charlize Theron was born in Benoni! http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000234/bio

Sue lives in the US somehwere as does Charlize.

Originally Posted by ededed
Hey Damon, welcome to South Africa!

Plenty of scuba diving (not so much in Joburg - we're 700km inland), far too much rugby for a civilised country and I have never seen anyone play baseball. Lots of baseball bats though. It's a great country for travelling and exploring - you'll have a jol. (that's a daft local word for party, pronounced "jawl").

Let us know if you have any specific settling questions - driving licence (good luck) home affairs, residency, renting / buying houses or cars, and - most importantly - what to take to a braai. Here's a hint, don't take burgers. You will be laughed at....no point in you making the same mistakes when settling that we made.

Good luck

Ed
You took burgers to a braai! Tsk tsk tsk. Did the beers make up for it?

Originally Posted by Maddyjvn
Welcome. Make sure you get out of Sandton every now and then!! SA's not for sissies you'll either love it or hate it, but there are much nicer parts than Sandton.

Good luck with the new job. I've been contacted by your company before, interesting products but not for me. Thanks for the offer though.

As Ed said, if you need any advice on life here just give us a shout or post a thread in the Africa Forum (under rest of the World). Happy to help.

Enjoy!! Madz

PS Check out Dischem and Clicks for offers on Sun Lotion at the moment if you're in need of protecting your lovely English Skin! Get it now whilst we head into winter it's a lot cheaper.

Last edited by Alfresco; Mar 15th 2012 at 10:32 am.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 12:18 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
You took burgers to a braai! Tsk tsk tsk. Did the beers make up for it?
Yes. Yes they did.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed
Yes. Yes they did.
You're a disgrace, man, burgers indeed!
Old Mar 15th 2012, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by MartynK
That was 12 years ago. I still lie awake thinking about it! Never again. That's why I gave the warning...
Old Mar 15th 2012, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

damon.shurville is an unknown quantity at this point

There has been a lot of advice on what NOT to take, so what do I take to a Braai? Steak? If so, which ones - beef, kudu, ostrich???? So much choice of meat out here.

Which domestic beer is best as well, not a fan of Castle?
Old Mar 15th 2012, 1:31 pm

There has been a lot of advice on what NOT to take, so what do I take to a Braai? Steak? If so, which ones - beef, kudu, ostrich???? So much choice of meat out here.

Hansa Marzen Gold - or Windhoek. Windhoek lite if you are driving isn't bad.

And steaks, ribs or chops. Some chicken if you are a vegetarian. The bigger the better. Don't take your own tongs, and don't offer the man of the house advice on when the fire is ready or if something is burnt. Just stand around while he cooks and tell him how good he is. Get ready to pour your beer on the fire if the flame gets too big.

And no, I'm making none of this up.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Rump steak and boerewors and the prettiest girl you can find.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daxk
Rump steak and boerewors and the prettiest girl you can find.
and if you want to get really clever,marinade, lemn juice, crushed garlic, mixed herbs, brown sugar and worcester sauce.
chuck it all together in a tupperware for the half hour journey.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 7:32 pm
Mad Moo plus 2

Maddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MartynK
ironic really considering I'm married to a modern day 'Burger' I take him everywhere.....

(confused - check your history books on SA my dears)
Old Mar 15th 2012, 7:33 pm
Mad Moo plus 2

Originally Posted by Daxk
and if you want to get really clever,marinade, lemn juice, crushed garlic, mixed herbs, brown sugar and worcester sauce.
chuck it all together in a tupperware for the half hour journey.
when are you coming over for a braai then Daxk?
Old Mar 15th 2012, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

ironic really considering I'm married to a modern day 'Burger' I take him everywhere.....

(confused - check your history books on SA my dears)
in most cases the R is silent and the the G drags out into almost a double g sound
Old Mar 15th 2012, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

when are you coming over for a braai then Daxk?
The problem I find here is that the meat is too "young" so I buy Aldi Sirloins and marinate them to age them.
My gas barbecue is "aged" and connected year long and I get lots of hints from Irish friends
old trick I learnt when I waitered/cooked/managed/owned a piece of a steakhouse when I was at Varsity.(Father paid for 1st year,I paid for the repeat)
Lemon Juice and Demerara sugar for Steaks, Coca Cola for Pork Chops with a rough grain mustard paste, Syringe with garlic and olive oil and peri-peri for Chicken.
Hungry yet? Maddy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.