Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Introduce yourself before posting

Introduce yourself before posting

Old Sep 26th 2010, 3:48 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Introduce yourself before posting

Originally Posted by JoburgExpat
Hi, I moved to South Africa (via Germany and the U.S.) a little over 6 months ago as part of our family's expat assignment. I've been busy blogging about our experience at <snip> and other than a sometimes almost insurmountable bureaucracy (which, on the bright side, gave me plenty of material to blog about) we have not encountered any problems. This has been a wonderful place for us to live.

Hi Joburgexpat

Welcome to BE.
You will see that some of your post has been snipped, taht's because personal details such as personal blog sites etc should be kept off of public forum. I would recommend you join the forum dedicated to Africa as I am sure you and many of the expats on that forum will have fun comparing notes!

I am glad to hear your are settling in well in South Africa. Personally I love South Africa having been there many times. Well actually I have loved all the African countries I have travelled to. Quite envious !
Hope you continue posting and enjoy the fun and banter

Dread - x
Old Sep 26th 2010, 3:52 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MariaKW
Hi everyone!

I'm Maria. I'm from South East London but currently living in Johannesburg (Midrand to be precise) with my South African husband and our 2 kids. We moved here about 18 months ago after years of debating whether or not to go - I can thankfully say we have no regrets. We are very settled and happy.
Hi Maria

Welcome to BE
I am glad to hear that you have settled well since your move.

Hope you continue to enjoy living in such a lovely country.

Dread - x
Old Sep 26th 2010, 3:58 pm

Hi Folks

OOPS - To those of you who I have advised to go onto the Agrica forum, apologies for not realising you already were ! I get advised by e mail when a new peerson posts, and because there is an identically titled thread opn the general welcome site, I automatically asumed that was the thread we were at.
Happy posting everyone - have fun.

Dread - x
Old Nov 15th 2010, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Flexo is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Introduce yourself before posting

Hello everyone, I am on a special quest looking for info on Robert Kay, June Kay, June Vendall-Clark and the Okavango delta(Botswana) Anyone know where I can get info or contact? I'm looking to write a bio. Hope someone can help.

bfn Flex.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

oboejane will become famous soon enough
Red face Re: Introduce yourself before posting

Hello from SA
Hi everyone,

My name is Jane. I am a Brit but now living in Pretoria, South Africa. I've been here a couple of years now and one of the things I miss most is the British pub, although I very rarely drink! Its the atmosphere and friendliness, as well as pub food, I miss and the darts and doms leagues.

I'm in the process of changing jobs, so as from the new year I'll be involved in lecturing in DNA forensics as well as carrying out research.

I'd love to hear from any ex Brits living this way.

Good luck all.

Jane
Old Nov 24th 2010, 1:10 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jane,

Welcome to BE. I hope you enjoy your time with us.

Sue
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:48 am
Milana

Milana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant future

Hi all,

I was born in London and spent a few years in Canada and Ireland during my early childhood, went back to London and then moved out to Australia at age 13, then to New Zealand at 15. At 18 I married my Johannesburg born husband Pieter, only to divorce two years later. While we were married we lived in Tanzania and visited SA often. I've got to know Johannesburg well, especially Sandton.

I'm keen to move to SA in the not too distant future, after a few years in London again. I'd love to live in Sandton. The people and the place are fantastic.

While married, I learned a lot about how South Africa has gone downhill since the 90s and fall of apartheid. I'm well aware of this and it is such a shame. My ex husband, a fifth gen British South African on his mother's side, now lives in Argentina and Kenya. We are still very close, as I am to his parents, and I often hear about the good old days. Hearing that, not only do I realise how good it was for whites, such as Pieter, I also realised how much they dislike the new South Africa. I think it's a bit scary for everyone to be honest.

Though I would love a house in Rivonia, I really doubt it'll happen for another few years. I'm not sure whether South Africa can change what it has become - a materialistic monster, as my former sister in law Anneliese calls it.

We shall see. I know that the way it used to be - fairly safe, stable, privileged and wealthy - would be an idyllic place for me to raise a family. But that's a fond memory of the old South Africa steeped in nostalgia. It doesn't exist anymore and I'm sad I never got to see it properly.

Cheers,

Millie
Old Mar 6th 2011, 9:59 am
Just Joined

tertiabutler is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

My name is Tertia Butler. I live in South Africa. I'm married with 2 children.

We found my grandparents old blue British passports and my mothers so we. Busy looking into getting her one renewed. Found this site so hoping to find answers.

Thanks.

Tertia
Old Mar 6th 2011, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

JoburgExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Milana_Rosemont
Hi all,

I was born in London and spent a few years in Canada and Ireland during my early childhood, went back to London and then moved out to Australia at age 13, then to New Zealand at 15. At 18 I married my Johannesburg born husband Pieter, only to divorce two years later. While we were married we lived in Tanzania and visited SA often. I've got to know Johannesburg well, especially Sandton.

I'm keen to move to SA in the not too distant future, after a few years in London again. I'd love to live in Sandton. The people and the place are fantastic.

While married, I learned a lot about how South Africa has gone downhill since the 90s and fall of apartheid. I'm well aware of this and it is such a shame. My ex husband, a fifth gen British South African on his mother's side, now lives in Argentina and Kenya. We are still very close, as I am to his parents, and I often hear about the good old days. Hearing that, not only do I realise how good it was for whites, such as Pieter, I also realised how much they dislike the new South Africa. I think it's a bit scary for everyone to be honest.

Though I would love a house in Rivonia, I really doubt it'll happen for another few years. I'm not sure whether South Africa can change what it has become - a materialistic monster, as my former sister in law Anneliese calls it.

We shall see. I know that the way it used to be - fairly safe, stable, privileged and wealthy - would be an idyllic place for me to raise a family. But that's a fond memory of the old South Africa steeped in nostalgia. It doesn't exist anymore and I'm sad I never got to see it properly.

Cheers,

Millie
Hi Millie,

I hear a similar story from many South Africans about the former South Africa being a better place to live. And I don't doubt that for that particular group of people that might be the case. However, I feel it also helps to be here as a newcomer without being able to compare with the former South Africa (I've lived here for a year as an expat). That way you don't compare to how it was, you just compare to the other countries you've lived in. And in that comparison South Africa is looking good. Yes there are problems, but there are also many nice aspects. I'm from Germany and not sure if I'd want to live there again (bad weather, too crowded, unfriendly people). Our home base is now America and of course it has many advantages over South Africa, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy it here. You will find that most people are very friendly, the weather of course is wonderful, and there are great travel opportunities. Also, even though I don't deny there are still many structural and political problems, you can also argue that life for a great many people has gotten better, not worse, since the end of Apartheid. Some of the talk about South Africa on an expat forum such as this can be very negative, but in reality it is not like that. I have four kids and don't feel like I'm depriving them of anything by living here in South Africa, more like the contrary.

Good luck!
Old Mar 6th 2011, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

No Joburgexpat, you aren't depriving your kids of anything.
they are living pretty much the same priviledged life white South Africans lived before 1990.
raising that lots of previously disadvantaged are now living a better life is
facetious, your maid and gardener are still living the same kind of life their parents and grandparents did,unless you are paying them 3 times the going rate? that would be ZAR 60,000 a year?
each.
you paying that?

They now have the vote, but if they disagree with whats happening its as ineffectual as my family voting against the Ruling Party before 1994....

yes there is more running water and more electricity and better houses (for some) than they had before, but someone has to pay for it.

because the Municipalities that are providing the lights and the water are not getting paid for their usage.

and of 49 million people,17 million are aged 1-25, there are 5.2 million registered taxpayers but 1.2 million contribute 72% of the total income tax revenue.
I dont mean to attack you, but after a year in South Africa, I would have expected you to have learnt more.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:18 am
Just Joined

JoburgExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

That's exactly what I mean - Millie was just concerned about a safe, privileged place to live, and she will definitely find that here, there was no need to focus on all the negatives of South Africa. And to say nothing has changed is just so fatalistic. I don't think you'll find many people who want to go back to Apartheid days. Much more needs to change, you're right, but it will be a slow process. Millie, visit "South Africa - the good news", it's a nice change of pace if you are looking for good stories about South Africa.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 9:02 am
Just Joined

darrenshakespeare is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, I am a British citizen married to a South African citizen since May 2006 (almost 5 years). Looking into options for a move to SA at some point. We have family in Durban & Cape Town and numerous friends in Jo'Burg. I was married in SA and have been back many times since. I/We are acutely aware of the challenges of SA, but it's where family's heart is, so the pull is strong! Hope I can add some value on here and also get some answers to my own questions.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 3:31 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tertiabutler
Hi

My name is Tertia Butler. I live in South Africa. I'm married with 2 children.

We found my grandparents old blue British passports and my mothers so we. Busy looking into getting her one renewed. Found this site so hoping to find answers.

Thanks.

Tertia
Welcome to BE. I hope you enjoy using the site and participating in the forum
Old Mar 14th 2011, 2:56 pm
Mad Moo plus 2

Maddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Introduce yourself before posting

Hi

I'm a BE married to a South African. Been in Jo'Burg for 3 years and just had a baby here. I'm currently not working currently but am heavily into sport (particuarly netball), and am a qualified coach and umpire. I also coach and ref rugby (well in days gone by). I was an EA to a Global Exec in the UK and am currently looking to get back to work at a similar level of management.

I come from an international family of globe trekkers and our motto is home is only as far as the nearest airport.

Think that's about me.

Looking forward to joining in the forums.

M
Old Mar 31st 2011, 7:04 pm
Sueffun

sueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nice
Exclamation Re: Introduce yourself before posting

I emigrated to SA from the UK in 1980. I came out on holiday the previous year to compete in an international fencing competition, I fell in love with SA and started the process to emigrate almost immediately, I knew nothing of the politics and had never heard of apartheid.

I met my husband in 1984, we have three wonderful sons, 22,21 and 17, unfortunately for me they all want to leave SA when they have qualified as they see no future for themselves here. At the moment the eldest two are studying at Rhodes University in Grahamstown in the E.Cape, they are fairly sheltered there and they can even walk around the town after dark, which in SA is rarely done.

My best friend was hijacked and raped by two guys, we have had 4 robberies, all my neighbors have also been robbed, several at gunpoint, the worst was 8 armed men jumped over the fence, beat the dog and held the entire family which included two small children at gunpoint and proceeded to empty the entire house, they also took the two cars. My one son was walking on the beach in Port Elizabeth and he was held up by two knife wielding teenagers, who made him and his girlfriend strip to their underwear and they took everything, my son did have the cheek to ask if he could have his id book, simcard and student card back, which to his amazement they did.

Students at the UKZN university are pepperspraying the students that want to work and stoning cars because of this culture of entitlement, they want everything for free and if they don't get what they want they riot and toytoy. I can go on and on but I don't want to depress you all.

My husband doesn't like anything negative, so he wouldn't even listen to some of the stuff on here that I tried to read to him. I would leave tomorrow if I could, as long as my boys and animals came as well, anywhere but Africa and the middle east would do.

Hubby won't go, he seems happy with his rose tinted specticles, I just pray nothing bad happens to any of us.

Hindsight would have been a good thing, so maybe people thinking about moving to SA should read the posts very carefully before making that choice, especially if they have children, because we are giving you that "hindsight"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.