Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Places to see in/around Jo'burg

Places to see in/around Jo'burg

Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Places to see in/around Jo'burg

My OH and I will be travelling to see his sister near Jo'burg in a few weeks. Was wondering if anyone here could recommend any sights to see? I've got a few travel books, but most of the info seems to be centered on the Cape.

I'd love to find a place where I could buy some local art & crafts, but I don't want to buy from some touristy gallery - I'd rather buy direct from the artist. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 8th 2009, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice
Default Re: Places to see in/around Jo'burg

Whenever we go back for a holiday, I always try to go to the Lion Park, you can normally stroke the cubs there which is cool. Last time we also went to De Wildt cheetah research centre (I think you may need to book before hand, not sure you can just turn up, but check it out on the web).

If you want something a bit different try a Soweto tour, Taste of Africa (PM me if you want his details) does really good ones either walking or in a taxi and Cedric does really good work in the area. I also really like joburg zoo, but that is because it was my favorite childhood treat, I can't get enough of it now! I still think its the best zoo in whole world, and I go to the zoo in every country I have visited.

Mostly I think what people do in Joburg is hang out in the malls, but there is other stuff to do if you look around. Haarties is also nice, so is going to the Magaliesburg there are quite alot of adventure tourism things there, what about Sun City and the Pilanesburg.

Not sure about buying things direct from the artist. I don't really think that you will find much of that to be honest, even the guys on the street corners don't really do the stuff themselves TBH. The did used to be a really cool rasta man who I used to chat to when I was walking to college or to the shops. He did make the stuff himself, but I doubt he is still there, lol. There always used to be a really big market on the way to Haarties - I am sure that is still there - also Rosebank used to do a big one but both will be really touristy. Driving around you will see peeps selling stuff on the pavement, mostly sh*te, but sometimes cool stuff. I have bought some wire and scrap metal sculptures over the years. Back in my student days I knew a lot of the guys in Melville and I had a few things commissioned (sounds more official that it was ) for me, but I doubt that would be possible if you were a tourist. My sis has bought several paintings from the same artist over the years from one of the sellers who used to be about, but I wouldnt know where to find her now.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 10:07 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Daydreamer is right - difficult to support the actual artists when buying local art and crafts as they are usual imported from Zim or Moz - Rosebank is still as good as any.

The website here is pretty good for things to do: http://www.jhblive.co.za/

A Soweto tour is always interesting and although a bit touristy, dinner at Wandies with drinks in a shebeen is good fun (make sure you use a recognised tour guide). Go and see Madiba's house too.

The cradle of humankind is a great day out, and de Wildt cheetah park (as mentioned above) is also nice for the kids - you don't need to book - or at least I didn't when I went last week. If you play golf there are a dozen great courses to play on - PM me if you do and I'll give some recommendations and phone numbers.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Joburg's not the greatest place for tourism, but there are some worthwhile places. Can you give us a idea of what you are looking for, and how far you're willing to drive?

Can't really help with with buying art. As a previous poster said, a lot of the commercial stuff is imported and sold in malls and markets.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we're going to be a bit of a distance away from Joburg - will be staying in Witbank which I understand is about an hour's drive. We'll be there for 2 weeks in early May. I don't mind seeing a few of the shopping malls, but I'm not travelling all the way from the US to shop (besides all malls are essentially the same, no?).

Love the idea of the Lion Park and the cheetah reserve. I think my OH has been to the zoo, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind revisiting. The Soweto tour sounds intriguing too. I'm the type that wants to learn some of the cultures and see museums, and places of historical significance when I travel. I don't deny I like to do some shopping (what woman doesn't) but that only makes up a very small amount of my time.

Are there any types of street markets (that are safe) that could have some local arts? I can handle not buying direct from the artist, I just like to support local. My MIL has this giant carved wood giraffe that she brought back to the UK from when they lived there, and I'd love to find something similar.

My husband and I will also be celebrating our 5th anniversary while there, and I wouldn't mind some suggestions for a nice romantic restuarant and hotel where we could stay.

Thanks for the link EEE, will check it out.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Laird is an unknown quantity at this point

From Witbank you may wish to go opposite direction, I mean Mpumalanga. Lots of waterfalls, Blyde River Canyon, Panorama Route, God's Window, Pilgrim's Rest and so forth.

Near Sudwala Caves you may book a hideout hotel, where you'll find yourself out of GSM coverage - really romantic
Old Apr 8th 2009, 7:06 pm
Banned

london52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to all

My dad used to work in Hillbrow in the 70s, said it was brilliant for pubs clubs etc.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 8:10 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london52
My dad used to work in Hillbrow in the 70s, said it was brilliant for pubs clubs etc.
Hillbrow was brilliant in the 70's. Has gone errr.......slightly downhill since then.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london52
Was he in Yorkshire at the time though, that's the question?
Old Apr 8th 2009, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

I'd give Hillbrow a miss too, I hope that London52 just doesnt know the situation and isnt trying to send the OP somewhere dangerous for a laugh!

Even if you are in Witbank, the places I mentioned are still good to get to, and some other really brilliant suggestions. There is loads of shopping everywhere, so dont worry about fitting some of that in, and you should find it quite cheap too.

I had forgotten about the the Cradle of Humankind, I am a sucker for caves!! I am not familiar with places in Witbank, but if you are looking for somewhere super romantic to stay for your anniversary, why not have a look at Toadbury Hall, its a small hotel in Muldersdrift. We got married there 5 years ago, and try to go and spend a night whenever we go back on holiday. It's lovely, good food and they can organise romantic picnics next to the river if the weather is good!

The people you are staying with will be able to tell you where the best markets are, I havent been back for a couple of years so not sure what is current, also not too familiar with the area that you will staying in.

I can't speak highly enough of the Soweto tours that I have been on, check out this site for details of the ones we have done http://www.tasteofafrica.co.za/
Old Apr 8th 2009, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

ausmartin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New selling point of SA

So it appears as if the "new selling point of SA" is to visit shebeens in Soweto. Guess you could then hop over to Alexandra etc. Just looked up a site and it states "The South African Townships are the true jewels of the country" WOW my idea of Africa has always been to visit one of these. Forget the lions, leapords, rhinos and elephants. Forget God's Window, The three rondavels, the potholes, Drakensberg. I mean forget Lost City.Nah that is old school boring. Visit a shebeen in Soweto, Kwa-Mashu and Kayalitcha. Thats the way to have a good time in SA. Drinking in a shebeen.
I seem to remember that I saw a Ad here in Aus promoting SA tourism and did not see anything about shebeens in Soweto or Townships. Maybe the animals and the "untouched scenery" still outways the shebeens. I am only glad that I am not the person taking the recommendation to visit a township. No thank you. You guys can enjoy it all yourselves.

I must admit the Rosebank Sunday market used to be pretty nice - not sure if that changed. I am also pretty sure that there are nicer things and places to see if you just head out JHB a bit. I mean the Drakensberg is only 3 Hours away. Lost city only an hour? Pilgrims rest and all those nice scenery, couple of hours East. Suppose that does not ring the same as spending time enjoying the "SA culture in a Township shebeen"
Old Apr 9th 2009, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Whats your problem? We have all made suggestions, the OP can take them or not as she see's fit. But each and every person who made a sensible suggestion included something of the wildlife and natural scenery.

No one is asking you to spend a day in a township, however many people do this, it is an accepted and popular day trip in SA now. I have done it several times in Soweto and to be honest I absolutely loved it. The girl who took us was about my age and grew up in Soweto, I found talking to her extremely interesting. Of course this would not be of interest to everyone, but they are merely suggestions.

Joburg is not always that interesting to visit as a tourist, and if you are staying with family it is not always possible to go anywhere too far away, so we were just giving ideas of things we have done and found good. Personally I dont drink, so going to a shebeen would not suit me, but that does not mean that many other people have done it and enjoyed it. Other than visiting a shebeen there is still plenty of interest to see in Soweto, we went to visit a local school and community centre, Mandela's house etc and saw The Black Madonna at Regina Mundi and also met loads of local, all very interesting, but probably not for everyone.

Many of your suggestions are also good and would make for an enjoyable day out.

Last edited by Daydreamer123; Apr 9th 2009 at 12:16 am.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 12:25 am
Just Joined

ausmartin is an unknown quantity at this point

I did not ask you if you had a problem or attack you. Seeing that you guys have the right to voice your opions of visiting a place I probably have the right to voice an opinion of not visiting a place. Doesn't each story have two sides? It's Ok to tell someone how"lovely and fun" something is( thats only your own personal opion) but it is not OK for someone else to give their personal Opinion that does not match yours. Sure hope these forums dont become "only write and hear what You want to hear"
Old Apr 9th 2009, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

You are right, of course you are entitled to your own opinion. Perhaps I just misunderstood the tone of your thread.
It really is a good day out though and the OP was looking for suggestions that of things that may be bit off the beaten track ie wanting local art etc. Not just the normal guide book stuff.
Hope I didnt upset you
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:12 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

I've got to confess that the suggestion of a tour into Soweto I did not take seriously. I for one would absolutely not consider it an option. I suppose if someone is looking for the history of the place would have an interest but to me, the risk to your well being would be a significant deterrent. Cannot see how they can guarantee anyone's safety.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.