Reload this Page >

Help - lost my UK driving licence

Help - lost my UK driving licence

Old Nov 21st 2010, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

london_irish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help - lost my UK driving licence

Hi,

Hope someone can point me in the right direction. I've lost my drivers licence or to be more precise my son lifted it from my wallet and disappeared it!

I can't see any pointers on the dvla website- has anyone got ideas on what I need to do to get a new one posted out here?

Thanks
Old Nov 21st 2010, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - lost my UK driving licence

Originally Posted by london_irish
Hi,

Hope someone can point me in the right direction. I've lost my drivers licence or to be more precise my son lifted it from my wallet and disappeared it!

I can't see any pointers on the dvla website- has anyone got ideas on what I need to do to get a new one posted out here?

Thanks
The UK DVLA will only send licences to UK addresses. They will not send one abroad and if you tell them you are not resident in the UK they will not let you have a new licence.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

change your Domicile to your BiL, SiL, best friend address with the DVLA,
once done, aply for a new licence to be posted to that address, have them courier it on to you.
Ply whomever has done the favour with lots of Booze.
smack son.
Hard.
get an International drivers licence.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:03 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Pablo is correct. I seem to remember there is a licence agreement between UK and SA, although I did think you had to exchange after a period of time (may be wrong there).

When I moved to Spain I changed my licence to a UK address where I could receive mail. If I lose it, then the new one will go there.

Daxk, I have a feeling from past threads and comments that an International Driving Licence has to be backed up by a valid "country" licence, and cant be used on its own

As Daxk suggests, get yourself a UK address immediately, call the DVLA, tell them you have lost your licence, at the same time advise them that you have changed your address for the licence to be sent to. Take care, if you tell them you dont reside in the UK any more .... you dont want to end up taking a new driving test!
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 4:32 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Pablo is correct. I seem to remember there is a licence agreement between UK and SA, although I did think you had to exchange after a period of time (may be wrong there).
Yup - it's a year. I posted a while back about my driving licence story. An absolute balls up.

You are limited to exactly a year from getting residency to convert your UK to an SA licence without taking a test. You need an SA ID book to convert. Getting an ID book takes more than a year from when you get your residency.

Ergo, you have absolutely no chance of getting the conversion. Faultless logic from the what laughingly passes as the DVLA here. You can drive on a UK licence and getting stopped with one is usually a benefit as it is far too much like hard work to try and process miscreant drivers who are on a licence the fuzz don't recognise.

Found it: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659603

Get your licence sent to a friend in the UK as mentioned earlier. It's important - if for no other reason than keeping a continual address registered in the UK which will really help if you ever return to the UK. (getting finance without this will be very tricky).

Last edited by ededed; Nov 22nd 2010 at 4:37 pm. Reason: Found it....
Old Nov 24th 2010, 2:08 am
Just a Realist...

vx999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ededed
So what happened? You never updated your other thread after your appeal?
Old Nov 24th 2010, 2:33 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vx999
So what happened? You never updated your other thread after your appeal?
Bugger all happened. Surprisingly. Still waiting, still driving illegally - technically.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

still driving illegally - technically.
No, not "technically". Just illegally. Which means your car insurance isn't valid.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Pablo
No, not "technically". Just illegally. Which means your car insurance isn't valid.
Well, luckily they paid a pretty hefty claim last year when a taxi nailed me and drove off - and it is noted on the policy that I am driving on a UK licence.

Clearly they must have paid the claim "illegally" too.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Clearly they must have paid the claim "illegally" too.
No doubt. Clever you.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Yup - it's a year. I posted a while back about my driving licence story. An absolute balls up.

You are limited to exactly a year from getting residency to convert your UK to an SA licence without taking a test. You need an SA ID book to convert. Getting an ID book takes more than a year from when you get your residency.

Ergo, you have absolutely no chance of getting the conversion. Faultless logic from the what laughingly passes as the DVLA here. You can drive on a UK licence and getting stopped with one is usually a benefit as it is far too much like hard work to try and process miscreant drivers who are on a licence the fuzz don't recognise.

Found it: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659603

Get your licence sent to a friend in the UK as mentioned earlier. It's important - if for no other reason than keeping a continual address registered in the UK which will really help if you ever return to the UK. (getting finance without this will be very tricky).

And just to let you know, (rub salt in wound) when you arrive in Australia and have ID and your UK license, you just go into a Transport Office and they change it for an Oz license there and then, for a small fee. Less than an hour. They do the photo and everything.

They even give you your UK license back.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Pablo
No doubt. Clever you.
*sigh*
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Alfresco
And just to let you know, (rub salt in wound) when you arrive in Australia and have ID and your UK license, you just go into a Transport Office and they change it for an Oz license there and then, for a small fee. Less than an hour. They do the photo and everything.

They even give you your UK license back.
Please do me a favour and go.....
Old Nov 24th 2010, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

oboejane will become famous soon enough

Hi Ededed!

I was told that after November 1st you could convert your licence up to 4 years after getting residency. Like you - I was never informed my residency permit had come through and by the time I got my ID 18 months had lapsed but at Centurion I was told to come back after Nov 1. Needless to say I haven't as yet done so and I've been trying to find out whether this is now a reality.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 4:06 pm

Hi Jane, interesting! I have checked enatis website and it still says a year - I'll email my contact at the department of transport and see if they know anything. Mind you, it could still take 4 years to get it organised!

Appreciate the post, thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.