Harare experiences please!

Harare experiences please!

Old May 26th 2011, 12:11 pm
Yve
Forum Regular

Yve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Harare experiences please!

Originally Posted by dfjordan
Have you thought about what kind of future your small child may have? Mixing with locals sounds great and looks nice when you see travel programs on the TV, but is that the culture you want your child to grow up in?
OK, one day Mugabe has to die, but even if a miracle were to happen and the country was able to revert to its pre Mugabe days, having a place like Zimbabwe on your CV doesn´t count for much when you´re looking for a decent job somewhere else and you should bear in mind that maybe your child wont want to stay in Zim when he becomes an adult.
Thanks we'll keep that in mind.
Old May 27th 2011, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest, a few years back now, I wondered about returning to Zim as I had lived there in " the good old days" before Mugabe, and found it to be the nearest thing to paradise. However I had to leave because of the terrorism problems at that time. A friend of mine, who I think is still there, recommended that I didn´t even set foot in the country as a tourist as he said it had got so bad. I think he was right, as I needed to to bring myself back to reality, and rather live with the wonderful memories I have than to visit the place and feel so disillusioned. I do believe there´s a lot of money to be made living in Angola, but once again, not with any children. Good luck
Old May 27th 2011, 3:45 am
Yve
Forum Regular

Thanks
Old May 27th 2011, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Originally Posted by dfjordan
Just out of interest, a few years back now, I wondered about returning to Zim as I had lived there in " the good old days" before Mugabe, and found it to be the nearest thing to paradise. However I had to leave because of the terrorism problems at that time. A friend of mine, who I think is still there, recommended that I didn´t even set foot in the country as a tourist as he said it had got so bad. I think he was right, as I needed to to bring myself back to reality, and rather live with the wonderful memories I have than to visit the place and feel so disillusioned. I do believe there´s a lot of money to be made living in Angola, but once again, not with any children. Good luck
Agree with dfjordan... I grew up in ZIM, also before the rogue Mugabe arrived - it was heaven back then, yes... it was most definitely the closest thing to paradise! I am very close to friends still living there who are plagued daily with shortages and problems. Even the crematoriums cease to operate as they run out of gas and bodies pile up as they wait for the next delivery of gas. Or you can pay $600.00 and have the body shipped to another part of the country with a working crematorium.

Power cuts, water cuts, pot holes, no street lights and no traffic lights that work are the norm. Shops are fairly well stocked, but everything is very expensive.

Do go and have a look before you do anything. If you really have your heart set on moving to Africa, consider taking a look at South Africa. It also has its problems and safely issues but you may enjoy it more. I have friends and family there living a good life - if you can live with the crime. Best of luck.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

stanno is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yve
My husband and I are planning on moving to Harare. We lived in Kenya 10 years ago and visited Zimbabwe during that time amongst the Mugabe turmoil.
We've heard that since the US dollar has been introduced things are on the up again and desire to relocate to Africa again but this time with our small son.
I do have some questions.
How easy is it to get a work permit and permission to stay. My husband does IT.
How available is good healthcare and how costly?
Is there malaria in Harare?
Can you wear basic Jewellery like an engagement ring? Go out at night? Crime against foreigners, is it on the increase? Burgularies?
Compare living prices to the UK. Houses to rent, food, car, home tutoring. What would you need? $1000/2000 US per mth.
Are things better than a few years ago.
All experiences would be great please. Good or bad.
hi yve i have to travel to harare on business but im wary of travelling there could you let me know if you have managed to make it there if so wat was it like. and is there any advice you could give me b4 i go there
Old Jul 13th 2011, 11:57 pm
Yve
Forum Regular

We haven't moved there yet, we are still thinking about it. We should be going for a visit in the spring and then I'd have a better idea.
Sorry can't have more info as yet.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

As above. I was there about a year ago - Harare and Bulawayo - on business. Things have improved quite a lot from the depths they plumbed before they converted to the $ US, but I really couldn't recommend it. I remember the country in "the old days", although I'm not Rhodesian/Zimbabwean. It's still beautiful, and it's more relaxed than SA, but there are still a lot of problems. No-one is sure what will happen when Mugabe goes. I interviewed some local businessmen and journalists and they were, shall we say, a bit apprehensive.

I have a close friend in SA with a brother in Zim. He stayed, and doesn't plan to leave, but I get the impression he's well connected and has a pretty good life.

FWIW, violent crime is less prevalent, and less murderous, than in SA.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Yve
Thanks Sherry that has surely given us food for thought!
My husband's dream is to return to Africa and it's been 10 yrs since we were there and he's itching to return and we thought Harare could be one of the safest and more developed places in Africa to set up home with a child. Do you know any other places?
We actually live in Canada but don't intend to stay. It's not for us. If I need more specifics I'll pm you. Thanks
I lived in Canada for 23 years (after moving from South Africa) and never cared for it either would you believe. What about an alternative to Zimbabwe in Latin America or the Caribbean where you can have a similar lifestyle. Many Europeans and North Americans move to places such as Argentina, Uraguay, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Panama, etc.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 1:48 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

I think it speaks volumes about the situation in Zimbabwe that millions of Zimbabweans have fled to SA, the UK etc. Surely that has to tell you that something is badly wrong! to take a child there seems to me incredibly irresponsible and reckless.
Old May 7th 2012, 11:40 pm
Yve
Forum Regular

We took the plunge, visited end of last year for a month and are planning our move this autumn.
We loved it!
Everyone has to see Zimbabwe for themselves.
No place is perfect, and it has some positive aspects.
Old May 8th 2012, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Congratulations. Not been in Zimbabwe since the late 80's when Harare was comparable to a European city...almost. I lived in Mozambique at the time, so anywhere slightly more developed looked like heaven.

Good luck in your adventure, though I can't say I envy it.
Old May 8th 2012, 10:26 am
Just Joined

sherry_d is an unknown quantity at this point

Good on you Yve, I can see why you are doing it.

Out of interest how do you plan to make a living in Zimbabwe? That's what most of us are scared of.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Rick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really nice

Originally Posted by Yve
We took the plunge, visited end of last year for a month and are planning our move this autumn.
We loved it!
Everyone has to see Zimbabwe for themselves.
No place is perfect, and it has some positive aspects.
Good luck, I lived there last from 2008 to August 2011. Ignore the likes of Pablo and his hatred, but do take note of some of the more important comments that have been made. My advice:

Health care, forget Cimas you should sign up with Northern. They have a much better record of paying back claims and gave some very good doctors on their list. PM me if you want a GP recommendation. You cannot take a risk with healthcare, at all.

Schooling, you will by now I am sure know of the best schools, not just International but St Johns. Outside you have Peter house and Ruzai as well.

Areas to live, as much as you think you might want to be in a certain area for whatever reason, there is in Harare only two reasons now to pick a place to live - Zesa (electricity) and a borehole. Do not compromise on those two things, you will regret it. Make sure you check out the areas where the Ministers live, fewer power cuts and you will find if a junction blows it will get replaced far quicker.

Safety, to be honest Harare is not bad compared to many Africa cities and certainly nothing like SA. But still realise that what ever you do, you will be the victim of petty theft. Realise it sooner so you do not get upset about it.

Cost of living, I do not think it has changed,much in the last 10 months, my fiancees family and many friends are still there - it is a fair bit higher than you might expect. Some food items locally produced are shockingly double the cost of the imported ones. There is such a small market in reality for luxury foods that prices are not competitive especially as Spar has a monopoly on the market. Fuel is cheaper than the UK but that is about it unless you are going to live on bottled coke. I reckon we spent around £1500 a month on living expences not including fuel for generator and rent as we owned a house.

Jobs, you mentioned IT well it completely depends what you are going to do. Two good ways would be to be a consultant if you have the qualifications to Telecel or Econet the phone companies. Also if you have means, inport export and get contracts to supply embassies and NGOs. I did this successfully mainly for the reason many Zimbabweans working in the sector do not understand European and International expectations. If you can get past that, there is plenty of work, you just need to make the contacts.

PM me if you have any questions or if you need Company set up advice, accountant advice etc.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rick b
Ignore the likes of Pablo and his hatred
...Hatred of tyranny and lies, and of spinning boosters who seek to deceive others, often concealing their own monetary vested interest.

Aren't you the same person who was predicting the land of milk and honey in Zimbabwe just before the last bloodbath? The one who turned out to be promoting his own business?

Last edited by Pablo; Jul 1st 2012 at 7:52 am.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Rick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pablo
...Hatred of tyranny and lies, and of spinning boosters who seek to deceive others, often concealing their own monetary vested interest.

Aren't you the same person who was predicting the land of milk and honey in Zimbabwe just before the last bloodbath? The one who turned out to be promoting his own business?
Ah more Pablo nonsense, if you disagree just lie and slander.

No Pablo, I have not ever promoted my business on here. For starters my business in Zimbabwe was aimed at NGOs, Embassies and Internationals - not Expats who have left!! I had run ins with you because you know nothing about what Zimbabwe is like now, you simply keep spouting the same nonsense again and again.

If you want to remember facts, I am the guy who arranged for the female reporter who used to be on here to go to Harare over the elections in 2008 who also said she had no issues and was surprised at how welcoming it was.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.