Groundnuts Scheme

Old Sep 16th 2016, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Groundnuts Scheme

In my 20s I remember flying out to Lusaka and sitting next to someone who had worked on the Groundnuts Scheme in Colonial Tanganyika. I have also over the years met many involved in the Central African Federation. Now when I look abck and think on my years in Africa on the ODA/OSAS programme I realise that I too am part of history and will soon be dead and forgotten - like all those on previous colonial and neo-colonial developments.

Should I write me memoirs ? It will soon be too late.

Overseas
Service
Aid
Scheme
= OSAS

was the Ministry of Overseas Development scheme that seconded British nationals to work in newly-indepedent Commonwealth states. I was in Zambia 1973-1977
Old Sep 16th 2016, 6:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groundnuts Scheme

Presumably brought to you by the same committee that was asked to design a horse and instead came up with a camel.

I remember my father telling me about the east African ground nuts fiasco.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I was not admitted to the Upper Echelons that designed OSAS. Undoubtedly staffed by all those Colonial Office types who needed a new billet. You know - Gussie Ffistteleton-Twykes and his pals. The foot-soldiers on the ground - like myself and the other humble "Education Officers" (vulge "Teachers") did a reasonable job.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 4:11 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
In my 20s I remember flying out to Lusaka and sitting next to someone who had worked on the Groundnuts Scheme in Colonial Tanganyika.
Should I write me memoirs ? It will soon be too late.
My father-in-law, now almost 90, arrived in Tanganyika in 1950 as a member of the then Colonial Service. The ludicrous groundnut scheme was about to be finally abandoned but not quite yet, that was in early 1951. My wife was born in Nachingwea later that same year.

He's now on his last legs, but in Sept. this year he attended the very last meeting of former members of the Service in Windemere. There were 19 attendees, down from several hundred a decade ago.

So, yes, now is probably a good time to write your memoirs.
Old Dec 4th 2016, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I will set to this as soon as I can recruit a female amanuensis who can take shorthand and prepare a drinkable cup of tea. Hard to find good staff these days.
Old Dec 4th 2016, 4:32 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I will set to this as soon as I can recruit a female amanuensis who can take shorthand and prepare a drinkable cup of tea. Hard to find good staff these days.
You'll just have to get off your Bute.
Old Dec 4th 2016, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I plan to do that on Monday. All the excitement of a day trip to the large island that is close to Bute. I am reminded of the minsiter jere who regularly included in his prayers "the people of Bute and the neighbouring island of Britain"
Old Dec 4th 2016, 9:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I plan to do that on Monday. All the excitement of a day trip to the large island that is close to Bute. I am reminded of the minister here who regularly included in his prayers "the people of Bute and the neighbouring island of Britain"
I hope that the weather on Monday will be conducive to travel and that Britain isn't cut off by fog.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Imperial folly did not end with the Groundnuts Scheme. It has continued to the present day in any number of ill-conceived plans for "Foreign Aid". I saw it in my line of work as the British Council moved from encouraging the teaching of English and facilitating the study of British Culture to the new field - of "Gender Equality".

Last edited by scot47; Jul 20th 2017 at 12:22 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 12:19 pm

Imperial folly did not end with the Groundnuts Scheme. It has continued to the prsent day in any number of ill-conceived plans for "Foreign Aid".
Meanwhile the pillaging of natural resources has been taken over by the Chinese.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Chinese Road to Capitalism is now under construction, comrades ! The East is no longer Red !
Old Jul 20th 2017, 12:52 pm

The Chinese Road to Capitalism is now under construction, comrades ! The East is no longer Red !
However "capitalism" should not be confused with "democracy".
Old Jul 20th 2017, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Of course not. What a strange idea !
Old Jul 20th 2017, 7:48 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Pulaski
However "capitalism" should not be confused with "democracy".
Have you been reading George Monbiot?

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ian-capitalism
Old Jul 20th 2017, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Have you been reading George Monbiot?

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ian-capitalism
No, I don't read the Grauniad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.