Generic questions!

Old Nov 10th 2007, 1:43 pm
amb
Forum Regular

amb is a jewel in the roughamb is a jewel in the roughamb is a jewel in the roughamb is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Generic questions!

I will def keep my ear to the ground with regard to news, thank you for that idea.

Chavs concern me more because of the general lack of respect and values children seem to have these days. While I realise teenagers will be teenagers, it's lovely to see how shocked all the South African's I've met are with the attitude you get everywhere. Of course I realise this is not worth such a great sacrifice to live in fear.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amb
I will def keep my ear to the ground with regard to news, thank you for that idea.

Chavs concern me more because of the general lack of respect and values children seem to have these days. While I realise teenagers will be teenagers, it's lovely to see how shocked all the South African's I've met are with the attitude you get everywhere. Of course I realise this is not worth such a great sacrifice to live in fear.

On Chavs, you need to earn some decent money, live in a good area, send your kids to private school, and then you can forget about them. You'd have to do exactly the same in SA, except there, even with living in a good area, private schooling, etc. you wouldn't be safe. The latest dinner party talk in SA is how moms are being hijacked on the school run. Easy pickings, apparently.

If safety is not a concern, then don't worry. If it is, then SA is not for you. (One Brit on this list said he'd rather take the risks and enjoy the sunshine. Fine. I can respect that. What I can't respect is those who just try to pretend there isn't a crime problem).
Old Nov 10th 2007, 2:00 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pablo
On Chavs, you need to earn some decent money, live in a good area, send your kids to private school, and then you can forget about them. You'd have to do exactly the same in SA, except there, even with living in a good area, private schooling, etc. you wouldn't be safe. The latest dinner party talk in SA is how moms are being hijacked on the school run. Easy pickings, apparently.

If safety is not a concern, then don't worry. If it is, then SA is not for you. (One Brit on this list said he'd rather take the risks and enjoy the sunshine. Fine. I can respect that. What I can't respect is those who just try to pretend there isn't a crime problem).
Happened to the wealthiest S.A. man's wife the other day.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 2:07 pm
amb
Forum Regular

amb is a jewel in the roughamb is a jewel in the roughamb is a jewel in the roughamb is a jewel in the rough

Is the sunshine the only thing to bring people in? Frankly I rather taking the dogs for a brisk walk around the farm in winter, hence why NZ is my next prefered option. Or is it all too much effort, feel like I'm taking for granted what a blessing being born in this country is. I'm not in the slightest bit convinced I can avoid chavlife, as for being able to afford private school, ha! What a dream! Rent is a struggle as it is, probably with SA is appealling in some lights!
Old Nov 10th 2007, 3:28 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by amb
Is the sunshine the only thing to bring people in? Frankly I rather taking the dogs for a brisk walk around the farm in winter, hence why NZ is my next prefered option. Or is it all too much effort, feel like I'm taking for granted what a blessing being born in this country is. I'm not in the slightest bit convinced I can avoid chavlife, as for being able to afford private school, ha! What a dream! Rent is a struggle as it is, probably with SA is appealling in some lights!
The cost of living is very high in S.A. The majority of people struggle from paycheck to paycheck.

You pay a fortune to have your kid in a regular government school in S.A., and they'll get a sub-standard education. Yes, you do pay for regular schooling over there. So you have to go the private school route there anyway, and the costs are exorbitant.

Rent is high, plus, you have the additional costs of armed response, and other security that you have to pay.

You pay a fortune for medical aid every month, as you have to go private. Going into a government hospital is a no-no.

Petrol/food/etc..is exorbitant, and sub-standard unless you shop at Woolworths, which is more upmarket.

It is very expensive to live over there. Car insurance, etc..is also expensive. No public transportation to speak of.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Errol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Redlippie
The cost of living is very high in S.A. The majority of people struggle from paycheck to paycheck.

You pay a fortune to have your kid in a regular government school in S.A., and they'll get a sub-standard education. Yes, you do pay for regular schooling over there. So you have to go the private school route there anyway, and the costs are exorbitant.

Rent is high, plus, you have the additional costs of armed response, and other security that you have to pay.

You pay a fortune for medical aid every month, as you have to go private. Going into a government hospital is a no-no.

Petrol/food/etc..is exorbitant, and sub-standard unless you shop at Woolworths, which is more upmarket.

It is very expensive to live over there. Car insurance, etc..is also expensive. No public transportation to speak of.

I left South Africa in 1974, returned for a two week family issue in early 1995 and was shocked at the prices. 2007 is a far cry from 1995, but at the time I got R3.00 to the US$. I recall buying coffee "Wimpey Bar" and being presented with a bill for R3,00 which was $1.00!

I suggest finding the compensation you will be paid in Rands for your type of work. I would take the low range, the mid range and the high range (Do not convert it into any major currency)

Take that figure and deduct taxres which you should be able to locate from the internet, but I think 40% is common. Deduct from that rent, food utilities that you have to pay. Deduct these costs from your take home pay in rands and that's what you have before medical, car maintenance and insurance.

From my research, I have found properties for sale in Rands that are on a par with the US Dollar (taking $1 to R1) but it's so tempting to take a R1,500,000.00 home overlooking those magnificient beaches converting that into dollars or pound sterling and the price becomes what might be available for space one tenth of the size in a not so acceptable part of a US or UK city. Even the maintenance costs look extremely attractive, but the salaries for many positions aren't very attractive even in rands

It is my opinion the US Dollar will strengthen next year (It was $2.60 to the GP Pound in the early years of the Thatcher government, shorly followed by $1 to the GP Pound) I am certainly not predicting equality, but what goes up comes down)

My point is, despite of the weak dollar and South African interest rates which aren't low, the South African exchange rate to the major currencies isn't that great. When the dollar rebounds, will the South African Rand devalue, so I wouldn't count on repratriating your assets out of South Africa at today's rate. You may do better, but don't count on it

From what I observe salaries are rising barely at the inflation rate, which South Africa isn't alone so that might not be a determining factor, but if they are rising to provide an increasing standard of living it compensates for having to endure (which crosses all races, income levels and areas) the high crime rate.

Errol
Old Nov 10th 2007, 8:27 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by amb
Hi everyone, I'm lucky enough to be dating a Safa at the moment and it's becoming more and more apparent that it could be a long term thing. He is currently in the UK and I have lived here all my life and very much a middle England sort of girl! I've yet to visit SA so I only have the opinions of a native which naturally are all positive!
So I'm hoping to have some more opinions from those who have some experience comparing things to the UK. I really don't know diddly about living in any country to be honest as I've just graduated and all this mortage stuff is still far off and daunting.
I'm certainly not convinved I want to be in the UK for long, not to have chav children anyway, but I hadn't imagined SA being the ideal place to live, Aus/NZ maybe, but if someone could perhaps explain the major pros and cons (preferable in simple terms as all the visas/considerably low wages/hijacking is totally alien) I would be thankful and I can start to figure out my options a bit more clearly!
Simple,

If SA is so great why is he in the UK
Old Nov 10th 2007, 8:40 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by amb
NZ is certainly a "safer" bet in terms of crime but they do have their problems on the rise too.

NZ salaries are shocking, if you are seriously looking at NZ I would negotiate ( hard) your package before coming over. Of course that depends on your skills.

NZ housing is very expensive and poor mostly quality.

It is a great country to bring up kids from the freedom perspective but the “chav” culture, known as hoons here is on the increase.

Mamby, pamby politicians that do not want to deal with the obvious are running this place as has many a great country over the last few decades.

I would look at Australia, the climate can be quite daunting, depending where you are situated but I like the sunshine.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:33 pm
don't worry be happy

DIANE UK is just really niceDIANE UK is just really niceDIANE UK is just really niceDIANE UK is just really niceDIANE UK is just really niceDIANE UK is just really niceDIANE UK is just really niceDIANE UK is just really niceDIANE UK is just really nice

I too met and married a South African here in the Uk. We were considering moving back to S A mainly because his family all live there. We gave everything a LOT of thought and have now decided against the big house with the pool and are settling for a small bungalow near the sea on the Isle of Wight.
I did look forward in a way to the move to S A. I have never been to a country more beautiful, the sights are awesome. But at least with the move to the IOW i know when my husband goes out to work in the morning i will not have to lock all the doors behind him and worry myself silly being alone.
I know that may be a bit over the top but i was scared about living there.

You must certainly go to South Africa for a holiday to experience the wonder of the country. I have stayed just outside Jo'burg and more recently have been to the Cape which i love. I will still go for holidays.....but to live there, no sorry, i value my freedom and my life too much.

Best of luck with whichever decision you make.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 8:05 pm
amb
Forum Regular

Campbells be nice; everyone is allowed to be young a travel the world once! It seems like the sensible option anyway with all these negative views on the SA economy. Thanks though for your views on NZ, it seems a better option weather wise over Aus but no doubt my better half would disagree!
Diane is nice to hear that it can work out one way or another, I'm also staying near Jo'burg so I will see how the holiday goes first. Either way we will have to live there for 6 months - 1 year as there's no way at all to keep hm in the country as far as we can tell!
Old Nov 11th 2007, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

amb? near Jhbg?
Old Nov 11th 2007, 8:49 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Pity you have to stay near Joburg at all Amb as it is not the better part of S.A. Crime wise, it is the hottest part of the country.

Diane, I loved the little of the Isle of Wight I saw. Was in my late teens and my Aunt and her partner lived there for a number of years. Pretty part of the country. I am sure you shall enjoy it. I repeatedly said before that SA is one of the most beautiful countries in the world and worth seeing. However, the days of living there and feeling safe to go about the business of living are long over.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 9:56 pm
amb
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Daxk
amb? near Jhbg?
Yes?
Old Nov 11th 2007, 10:14 pm
amb
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
Pity you have to stay near Joburg at all Amb as it is not the better part of S.A. Crime wise, it is the hottest part of the country.

Diane, I loved the little of the Isle of Wight I saw. Was in my late teens and my Aunt and her partner lived there for a number of years. Pretty part of the country. I am sure you shall enjoy it. I repeatedly said before that SA is one of the most beautiful countries in the world and worth seeing. However, the days of living there and feeling safe to go about the business of living are long over.
There was a chance of staying near the coast, but it doesn't sound sensible to stay in SA long term so might as well stay at his place rent free than get settled elsewhere!
Old Nov 11th 2007, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry amb, I meant where near Jhbg, I lived there for 2/3rds of my life so know it pretty well ,was last there 18 months ago and am in daily contact with family and friends who still live there
If you tell me the suburb or area I can at least give you some idea

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.