Do we move back?

Old Jan 25th 2006, 7:29 pm
Britbabe

Britbabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do we move back?

My Husband & I have been living in Cape Town, South Africa for the past 14 months. We have a nice house and both are lucky enough to be working. Sounds idyllic doesn't it? No one can see how stressful the last 14 months have been. We arrived in November 2004, I am UK born, my husband a Capetonian, he has got UK residency (grandfather was British) he spent 8 years in the UK, we met in his 3rd year, got married in 2002, have got a 9 month old daughter. My husband always said he wanted to come back to SA to settle down, we were lucky enough to profit on the UK property market and bought our house in 2002 when prices were still reasonable. Our thoughts of returning to SA would be a better style of living (Weather wise), only one us would have to work as we are mortgage free, we could bring up our family and maybe start our own business.
It took my husband 6 months to find employment, when he eventually did the wages weren't even enough to pay the bills, eventually he got a better job (only through a family friend) I work 1/2 day, but neither of our jobs are 'secure' they could end tomorrow? We don't earn enough between us for anything other than the 'basics', I do realise we are 1000 times better off than the majority of people in Cape Town. I have read all of the statements and comments on these pages and am fascinated by the views, it's good to discover what other people have done or think. I have surmised that if you can return to the UK you should, there are so many people who would like to and can't. I understood about the crime & before I came out here and have been fortunate enough not to be affected by it (yet), I am/was and still am shocked by the violence that goes hand in hand with all the crime.
So many people say to tourists 'It's not as bad as 'they' make out' and true whilst enjoying several wonderful holidays here, I didn't think it as bad, but since living here, everyday is a reminder of the poverty and this is the cause of the crime & violence. I am seriously considering returning to the UK before it's too late, we would like to have another child, but cannot afford to have one here as we do not have medical insurance, we have to think about the schooling and how it will affect our child/children. Like I have already said our jobs are not that secure and we certainly couldn't survive without them? - If anyone has had similar experiences or is thinking of returning to the UK I would love to hear your thoughts & views.
Thanks - Beth.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Do we move back?

Originally Posted by Britbabe
My Husband & I have been living in Cape Town, South Africa for the past 14 months. We have a nice house and both are lucky enough to be working. Sounds idyllic doesn't it? No one can see how stressful the last 14 months have been. We arrived in November 2004, I am UK born, my husband a Capetonian, he has got UK residency (grandfather was British) he spent 8 years in the UK, we met in his 3rd year, got married in 2002, have got a 9 month old daughter. My husband always said he wanted to come back to SA to settle down, we were lucky enough to profit on the UK property market and bought our house in 2002 when prices were still reasonable. Our thoughts of returning to SA would be a better style of living (Weather wise), only one us would have to work as we are mortgage free, we could bring up our family and maybe start our own business.
It took my husband 6 months to find employment, when he eventually did the wages weren't even enough to pay the bills, eventually he got a better job (only through a family friend) I work 1/2 day, but neither of our jobs are 'secure' they could end tomorrow? We don't earn enough between us for anything other than the 'basics', I do realise we are 1000 times better off than the majority of people in Cape Town. I have read all of the statements and comments on these pages and am fascinated by the views, it's good to discover what other people have done or think. I have surmised that if you can return to the UK you should, there are so many people who would like to and can't. I understood about the crime & before I came out here and have been fortunate enough not to be affected by it (yet), I am/was and still am shocked by the violence that goes hand in hand with all the crime.
So many people say to tourists 'It's not as bad as 'they' make out' and true whilst enjoying several wonderful holidays here, I didn't think it as bad, but since living here, everyday is a reminder of the poverty and this is the cause of the crime & violence. I am seriously considering returning to the UK before it's too late, we would like to have another child, but cannot afford to have one here as we do not have medical insurance, we have to think about the schooling and how it will affect our child/children. Like I have already said our jobs are not that secure and we certainly couldn't survive without them? - If anyone has had similar experiences or is thinking of returning to the UK I would love to hear your thoughts & views.
Thanks - Beth.
Cant really tell you what to do, im an ex south african who left in 2001. We were also living quite comfortabbly at the time, owned a house with a small mortgage outstanding, two cars, nice jobs etc. So w hy did we leave... we wernt unemplyed, had not been hijacked or even burgled, had family and friends etc.

Well even if we had jobs, the fact was, as you said, that if you were to lose your job, it would be really hard to get another decent one. Seeing friends struggle for 18 months to find employment is a real eye opener. Also, crime is prevalenbt, and althout as a tourist stying for a few weeks you are highly unlikely to encounter it, living in a country where you know collegues and friends who have been hijacked/ shot does make you think twice. It just isnt nice to be afraid in your own home. When you hear a noise at 2:00 am you should be irritated at the noise, not wonder if your time to be a crime statistic has come. We got up in the middle of the night to "check out" the house countless times, always double checking the doors were locked etc.
And we also thought about the long term, ie 10, 15 even 20 years down the line. We did not have second passports so it would not have been possible to up and go quickly if things turned sour. Is SA going to go downhill? It does not look that way in fact SA is doing rather well at the moment. However, when we considered the long term impact of rampant unemployment (50% plus), HIV/ AIDS and the impact that is going to have on the economy, increasing divergence between the havs and the have-nots, prospects of employment in an Affirmative Action setting, we just did not want to take the chance. Not saying things will go wrong, but if they did, we would not have had any safety net.

Thats just our thoughts, others will have a different take on things.

So, you have to make up your own mind. What is it you are looking for in the UK vs South Africa. For us, moving away was the right thing to do, and although we miss family and friend we will not return.

Hope you make the decision that is right for you
Old Jan 25th 2006, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Beth,

What you've experienced is not new. There are countless S.A. expats who returned to 'paradise', only to find themselves in the same situation you're in, or worse, and have left again after a short time. Those who could afford to leave and who didn't burn their bridges behind them, as some have done.

The majority of S.A.'s people live in dire poverty with no chance of ever getting ahead (the Minister of Finance himself stated last year that there is no solution to S.A.'s unemployment problems, ever), exactly like the Africa that you see on tv in the First World.

The middle class, such as it is, barely make it month-to-month on two salaries. They survive; not live. Big difference.

I won't even touch on the crime situation. If you've read my posts you'll know where I stand on the subject.

Ultimately, you'll have to make that decision. No one else can do it for you.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 3:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]My Husband & I have been living in Cape Town, South Africa for the past 14 months. We have a nice house and both are lucky enough to be working. Sounds idyllic doesn't it? No one can see how stressful the last 14 months have been. We arrived in November 2004, I am UK born, my husband a Capetonian, he has got UK residency (grandfather was British) he spent 8 years in the UK, we met in his 3rd year, got married in 2002, maybe start our own business.

Is there a particular reason why your husband didn't take out British citizenship when he lived in the UK?

UK residency is at risk as soon as one moves out of the UK, however if he returns within 2 years of leaving, he may be ok. Otherwise he'd need a returning resident entry clearance, or a new spouse or ancestry visa.
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk

Jeremy
Old Jan 28th 2006, 5:02 am
Britbabe

Talking Re: Do we move back?

Originally Posted by JAJ
Is there a particular reason why your husband didn't take out British citizenship when he lived in the UK?

UK residency is at risk as soon as one moves out of the UK, however if he returns within 2 years of leaving, he may be ok. Otherwise he'd need a returning resident entry clearance, or a new spouse or ancestry visa.
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,
My husband went as far to get his British citizenship but didn't know until it was too late that he had to ask permission to hold two passports and as we were planning to return to SA he decided that his SA citizenship was more important. Then a couple of months later they passed the new law that you don't have to have permission! We went through an agency in London to get his indefinite leave to remain and then after 12 months applied for British citizenship, I'm a bit miffed that they didn't advise us to apply for permission to have two citizenship's? - It's so hard to decipher all the info on the SA website.

I applied for my SA permanent residency in August 2004, the SA website says +- 30 days for processing!! and as you can't have documents older than 6 months didn't apply for it any earlier, and I am still waiting!
My husband has an ancestry visa (for the UK) and his 2 years away from the UK is in November this year so I guess we need to make our decision before then.

I just want to say thank you to the other guys that have replied, you get such a mixed reaction who ever you talk to, so I know it's ultimately our decision.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 1:31 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jeremy,
My husband went as far to get his British citizenship but didn't know until it was too late that he had to ask permission to hold two passports and as we were planning to return to SA he decided that his SA citizenship was more important. Then a couple of months later they passed the new law that you don't have to have permission!

As far as I know permission to naturalise in other countries is still required, what's not required is permission to hold a foreign passport.

We went through an agency in London to get his indefinite leave to remain and then after 12 months applied for British citizenship, I'm a bit miffed that they didn't advise us to apply for permission to have two citizenship's? - It's so hard to decipher all the info on the SA website.
With respect, you can't expect a UK agency to advise on South African law.

My husband has an ancestry visa (for the UK) and his 2 years away from the UK is in November this year so I guess we need to make our decision before then.
He must have indefinite leave to remain rather than an ancestry visa. Take a look at the information on returning residents at http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk

Jeremy
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

John J has a brilliant futureJohn J has a brilliant futureJohn J has a brilliant futureJohn J has a brilliant futureJohn J has a brilliant futureJohn J has a brilliant future

Hi Beth

You don't mention your professions in your post. Are you sure that you'll be able to land "better" jobs in the UK? Have you explored the job prospects in Jo'burg? With the current economic growth that SA enjoy you should be able to find suitable employment provided you've got the right skills and experience.

Having said that, I fully concur with your sentiments regarding crime and future prospects (or the lack thereof) especially for your children. Some of SA's problems are so deep rooted that it would take a decade or two before you'll see substantial improvements.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

From what I hear of the people returning to South Africa - a lot end up in Jhb even if it now where they really want to be eg. Cape Town, Durban. Jhb is were most of the better paid jobs are - so it is a reality in South Africa.

I guess it is a bit like the UK - lots of people work in London because that's were the money is.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 4:10 am
Britbabe

Originally Posted by John J
Hi Beth

You don't mention your professions in your post. Are you sure that you'll be able to land "better" jobs in the UK? Have you explored the job prospects in Jo'burg? With the current economic growth that SA enjoy you should be able to find suitable employment provided you've got the right skills and experience.

Having said that, I fully concur with your sentiments regarding crime and future prospects (or the lack thereof) especially for your children. Some of SA's problems are so deep rooted that it would take a decade or two before you'll see substantial improvements.
Hi John J,
My husband and I both worked in the hotel industry in the UK and thinking Cape Town to be such a wonderful tourist destination thought we would have no problem with a job, we have been to every agency and written to nearly all the hotels in Cape Town, both of us have been for lots of interviews in the past 12 months but neither of us getting anywhere. I've been told on many occasion how impressive my CV is as I have qualifications as well as years of management experience, but I'm either OVER qualified for most of the positions advertised or I'm not experienced enough in South African tourism for the Exec managers jobs? I've been on one occasion that I was unsuccessful because they think I'll get 'bored' and the job not challenging enough (Reservations Manager in a large 4 star hotel). My husband has ended up working as a supervisor for a construction firm. He loves the job but as it's a family friend who owns the business it's not a 'firm' permanent job. I work part time (1/2 day), but am trying to find full time employment. So in answer to your question, I don't worry about a job in the UK as knowing what hotels are like there I am quite happy to take any job, I think as you get older your needs change with the work expectations, especially if you have children.
My parents are here on holiday at the moment and they can see our life is nice and we 'manage' every month, they are just concerned about no safety nets, i.e what happens if your car breaks down or you get sick, with no medical and no savings you have no safety net, there are also so many people in SA who have no choice but to carry on working ALL their life as they can't afford to retire? We are happy here and it's still a very hard decision to make, the UK is not the land of milk & honey as a lot of people in SA seem to think, in reality it is just as difficult to live on a day to day basis making ends meet, but you do have some hope for the future. I think SA has some hope, but as you say it's going to take a little longer to get there, maybe not good for us or our kids, but fingers crossed for the grandchildren!!
Old Feb 24th 2006, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Piccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nice

Hi John J,
My husband and I both worked in the hotel industry in the UK and thinking Cape Town to be such a wonderful tourist destination thought we would have no problem with a job, we have been to every agency and written to nearly all the hotels in Cape Town, both of us have been for lots of interviews in the past 12 months but neither of us getting anywhere. I've been told on many occasion how impressive my CV is as I have qualifications as well as years of management experience, but I'm either OVER qualified for most of the positions advertised or I'm not experienced enough in South African tourism for the Exec managers jobs? I've been on one occasion that I was unsuccessful because they think I'll get 'bored' and the job not challenging enough (Reservations Manager in a large 4 star hotel). My husband has ended up working as a supervisor for a construction firm. He loves the job but as it's a family friend who owns the business it's not a 'firm' permanent job. I work part time (1/2 day), but am trying to find full time employment. So in answer to your question, I don't worry about a job in the UK as knowing what hotels are like there I am quite happy to take any job, I think as you get older your needs change with the work expectations, especially if you have children.
My parents are here on holiday at the moment and they can see our life is nice and we 'manage' every month, they are just concerned about no safety nets, i.e what happens if your car breaks down or you get sick, with no medical and no savings you have no safety net, there are also so many people in SA who have no choice but to carry on working ALL their life as they can't afford to retire? We are happy here and it's still a very hard decision to make, the UK is not the land of milk & honey as a lot of people in SA seem to think, in reality it is just as difficult to live on a day to day basis making ends meet, but you do have some hope for the future. I think SA has some hope, but as you say it's going to take a little longer to get there, maybe not good for us or our kids, but fingers crossed for the grandchildren!!
Well you know South Africa is a huge country and you could perhaps find
hotel/hospitality work in some of the smaller and safer towns. For example my husband and I love Swellendam which has lots of small hotels and B & B's no high fencing around properties and quite a large artist community. Was once very Africaans but now has lot of British moving in and other Europeans.
Property prices were low although moving up. Whilst out walking around a residential area we watched a little girl ( white) set up a little play shop outside her house and playing quite happily selling pretend things to passerby black and white. All extremely normal. We have friends in the little village of Mc Gregor outside Robertson and they say crime is not a problem. Day to day living is also cheaper. Good luck with what ever you decide.

We have recently found an old friend living in Wales who has been back in the UK from South Africa after 30 years there and wants to return to Joburg where her family are, even with the troubles.
Old Feb 25th 2006, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Cosmos is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Beth
Really interested to read your experiences as I'm about to be in a similar position to you.

Husband is South African, we met in the UK and are planning to move back to SA in about a years time. I applied for my permanent residency in May 2005 and like you have not heard a thing - last time we checked with our agent there was a backlog of 14,000 applications and they were at a stand still. If it doesn't turn up within the next 6 month then I'm probably going to apply for a temporary resident visa but my understanding was that I couldn't work on this visa?

From reading your experiences it seems that the biggest problem is financial. I can't really offer any advice as I don't know the area or your line of work, but fingers crossed on your job hunt - you just need to persevere with it but can understand your frustrations. Whilst I agree that the UK has its own problems, lack of jobs is not one of them and I know if ever I was to lose my job I could get a temping job straight away. I hope it works out for you both. Have you spoken to your husband about this - how does he feel? I don't think you need worry about your husband getting his British residency, we are fairly lax about that mind of thing and can't imagine he'd have a problem.

We've bought a house in Jhb that we're renting out at the moment, husband works in telco and is fairly confident he'll find work (maybe overly so). I'm not so sure especially with the visa problem - I work in a specilised area of marketing which doesn't really exist in SA. I'm quite keen to study for a masters though if husband can afford to support us both. If not might have to do 3 months in the UK for the first couple of years until visa (eventually??) turns up.

PM me if you want to chat - quite interested i hearing about your experiences settling in etc.

Take care
Old Mar 5th 2006, 8:59 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - Beth.
I don't know you or sth africa, only what I have heard about it over the years. It sounds to me that the transition of power hasn't worked as well as some hoped and that in many cases now whites are disadvantaged and that the economy still struggles.

I have no liking for what went on in sth africa before but unless it starts showing real fruit I wouldn't place it on my list of things to do, which is a shame as I also understand it's a beautiful country.

Bottom line: If I was you, I'd be booking tickets to heathrow (one way).

Good luck
Old Mar 6th 2006, 6:57 pm
Britbabe

Originally Posted by Cosmos
Hi Beth
Really interested to read your experiences as I'm about to be in a similar position to you.

Husband is South African, we met in the UK and are planning to move back to SA in about a years time. I applied for my permanent residency in May 2005 and like you have not heard a thing - last time we checked with our agent there was a backlog of 14,000 applications and they were at a stand still. If it doesn't turn up within the next 6 month then I'm probably going to apply for a temporary resident visa but my understanding was that I couldn't work on this visa?

From reading your experiences it seems that the biggest problem is financial. I can't really offer any advice as I don't know the area or your line of work, but fingers crossed on your job hunt - you just need to persevere with it but can understand your frustrations. Whilst I agree that the UK has its own problems, lack of jobs is not one of them and I know if ever I was to lose my job I could get a temping job straight away. I hope it works out for you both. Have you spoken to your husband about this - how does he feel? I don't think you need worry about your husband getting his British residency, we are fairly lax about that mind of thing and can't imagine he'd have a problem.

We've bought a house in Jhb that we're renting out at the moment, husband works in telco and is fairly confident he'll find work (maybe overly so). I'm not so sure especially with the visa problem - I work in a specilised area of marketing which doesn't really exist in SA. I'm quite keen to study for a masters though if husband can afford to support us both. If not might have to do 3 months in the UK for the first couple of years until visa (eventually??) turns up.

PM me if you want to chat - quite interested i hearing about your experiences settling in etc.

Take care
Hi Cosmos,
Sorry I'm only replying now. My advice to you & your hubby is get a job before you come over, even if it means your husband coming out before you, unless you have funds to keep you supported. I applied for my permanent residency in August 2004 (we came over Nov 2004) as I said it still hasn't come through, apparently they are waiting for a clearance report from special intelligence, the last time I phoned I could be waiting another 18 months?!

I got a temporary residents permit in London when I applied for my permanent residency, you can apply for jobs, once you get a job offer you can apply for a work permit but only when you have a job offer in writing, they also require a letter from your husband supporting your decision to work and proof of residence (title deeds) and 3 months bank statements, then once you have all that they make you wait 40 days whilst they process the application, then you receive a work permit, but only for the specific job you have the contract for, so if in 6 months time you want to change jobs you have to apply for a new work permit - crazy I know. I have found alot of the agencies won't even consider me for jobs as employers don't want the hassle of sponsoring someone without a work permit because they have to prove why they are giving the job to you and not one of the other 1000's of applicants!! - I was VERY lucky to have got my 1/2 day job, I think my boss was sympathetic as he's a British Expat! - very lovely man. Anyway I would love to PM (but don't know how?) maybe you could PM me if you have questions and I can reply to it?
Old Mar 24th 2006, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

yep, the beauty may be in CT but the money is in Jo'burg and a lot of people won't live there so they end up leaving the country.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

capetonian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shellfish
yep, the beauty may be in CT but the money is in Jo'burg and a lot of people won't live there so they end up leaving the country.
This all depends on your profession. I worked for 3 years in the UK on an ancestral to pay down a flat in the Cape Town. I have found that I can find work rapidly in Cape Town (I have had two jobs in 11 months) at a minimum of 15kpm ZAR - my current salary is 18k ZAR pm. This affords me a good lifestyle in Cape Town - I am far from struggling.

In Johannesburg I can find work at a minimum of 20kpm ZAR and probably at 25kpm ZAR. There are many jobs available.

I work in the IT industry with 10 years experience.

I was glad to see the ancestral will not be abolished but that it is now a 2 / 3 year visa to IDLR with 6 years to permanent residency. Its unlikely that I would live permanently in the UK (unless there was a major political upheavel - which is looking increasingly unlikely) - but its good to know I can go contract in London if I want a change of scene.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.