Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Car Crash Yesterday 8th sept - Need Urgent Advice

Car Crash Yesterday 8th sept - Need Urgent Advice

Old Sep 11th 2007, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

IAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to all
Default Re: Car Crash Yesterday 8th sept - Need Urgent Advice

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Its far more varied than that I think Ian. In Spain for instance you can keep your UK licence until it expires quite legally, so I could have a UK licence here unless I voluntarily change it, for maybe 16 years
Hi Mitzyboy. Spain is in the EU and Turkey is not.The 6 month rule applies here and at that point you must have a Turkish driving licence which I have got.If you do not have one then the Insurer will use that to wriggle out of paying out.

Tegwyn, Yes when I was working I used my UK Licence to drive but now I'm retired and living in Turkey then I have to have a TK. Licence. If not and I have an accident then they don't pay.

Sorry if the original post was not clear.

Ian
Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:15 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IAN.K
Hi Mitzyboy. Spain is in the EU and Turkey is not.The 6 month rule applies here and at that point you must have a Turkish driving licence which I have got.If you do not have one then the
Yes I know that, but I mentioned it because you said that you had driven all over europe and your understanding was that you could drive on your UK licence for 6 months, which is not always the case
Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:42 am
Just Joined

IAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Yes I know that, but I mentioned it because you said that you had driven all over europe and your understanding was that you could drive on your UK licence for 6 months, which is not always the case
Hi Mitzyboy. You are correct on that one.Some countries will only except an International Licence.

Ian
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Cosmos is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved to SA 4 months ago and looked into the driving licence situation when I got here to see where I stood legally.
If you do a search on the SA High Commission website it says you can drive on a UK drivers licence for 12 months only after entry. However you can only apply for a SA driving licence if you have permanent residence.
I am a PR but I don't have the green ID book - I've appllied but apparently it takes 6 -8 months to process. Once it arrives I need to go to the British High Commission in Pretoria to get a letter to say my UK licence is valid - I can then go to the licensing bureau and get a SA licence, they won't issue one without a green ID book.

Incidentally you don't have to give up your UK drivers licence, my husband just had to show it to the licencing centre (he already had an ID book). Although to be honest its no great shakes to give up your UK licence, it's not like a passport if you ever return permanently to the UK just call the DVLA and they will issue you with a new one. Infact they'll do it before you move back, but you need a UK address.

Which insurance company are you with? I'm with Outsurance and told them I had a UK licence and they didn't think it was valid and suggested I get an International one but I checked and assumming the high commission website is correct I'm OK for 12 months. I have no idea what an International licence is, I doubt you can get one in this country - I know they issue them in the UK but thought that was just if you needed your licence translated so you could hire cars in Europe etc.

Did you actually tell your insurance company you had a UK licence? They probably wouldn't ask and you don't have to supply copies to get insurance.

I realise this doesn't help you much, but the rules seem fairly clear to me.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

You can get an international licence from a driving organization like the AA or RAC. You have to show your own local licence in order to get one.

I think the only catch is that you need to get it in the country where your local licence was issued. So, for example, if your local licence is a UK one, you need to get the international licence in the UK.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 9:25 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 2moon2
Hi Everyone.

Having spent most of today trying to get the right info, I thought that i should share the outcome.

It is required to have a SA driving licence which can be used to drive in the UK temporarily.

I rang the DVLA in the UK, and they said that once you are no longer living in the UK, they will not issue you with a UK licence - although you can get a temp one when you arrive in the UK. Which to me sounds like a major pain if you are going over for a two week holiday - so how long would it take to get the temp one.??

I also spoke to the British High Commision in Cape Town, and they confirmed having to have a SA licence.

So my remaining question now is whether or not an insurance company / broker must have proof of your driving licence before they can insure you.

My broker says that they don't because they take it on "good faith and assume that you have the correct documentation" So my argument is that my Insurance company should take it on "good faith" that my claim is legit and I will duly get a SA driving licence,m thereby they should give me a hire car in so called "good faith", which under my fully comprehensive insurance, I am entitled to.

My ins.co. now stipulate that i must obtain a letter of confirmation that my Uk licence is valid (because they say that this country is full of fraud ones....yeah, go figure)

Then, I must go to a traffic department, with the "said letter", apply for a SA licence, which will of course take any number of weeks. I will be given a piece of paper with confrimation that I have applied, and then i must submit all this stuff to my insurance co. Then, the ins. co. MAY consider authorising the repairs, and unlikely to grant me car hire.

They say that car hire requires a SA licence which is bollocks because I have hired on my UK licence. I even bought my car, opened a bank account etc using my UK licence.

Does anyone have info on the legalities of what documents and identification requirments like driving licence an Insurance Company must legally obtain to issue the insurance???

Yes I know I'm ranting, but I have reached my limit with all of this. The brokeres and insurance co. all seem to be uncertain of the absolute legalities and it keeps going from dept to dept.

I need a SA Licence fast, by any means.. yeah, I know, not emtirely legal, but what the hell. Even the person I spoke to at the British Commision said that she knows of plenty of people who have aquired (bought) SA Licences.

How is it that insurance companies are allowed to **** us around so much in attempts to not pay out. There should be some law or something to protect us. I have been paying my monthly insurance for all this time, so they can take my money, and then refuse to pay out.

Ok, ranting over!
Thanks everyone.

:curse:
Try African style - R200 with your story, maybe for R400 get your licence backdated, R600 a PhD, R1000 and you can have a Mrs Mbeki ID, that way you can do what you want regardless.

I am impressed with all your energy and determination to take on what you believe is right.

Getting creative, if you can hire a car in SA with your UK licence I would go & do that , make sure that your UK licence is written into the docs that you sign to hire the car. Make an appointment to see on of the top brass at the insurance Co, and explain that you believe that all this confusion is something that the press in SA will enjoy and that the insurance ombudsman are perhaps out to lunch too frequently. Before you say that, I would make an anonymous call to the FSB (In Pretoria) and present your story to them. They are the insurance watchdogs (supposedly).

I believe that the insurance companies will have every gap plugged with small print or their legal departments to engage your lawyer in some costly exercise that you stand to lose even more money.

In essence, the fact that the insurance Co took your money means they should provide a service for the monies they have received and if you are not covered they should be made to at least return all the premiums they took from you.

It is probably a legal battle but I do know that around 2001 the disclosure act went through some pretty challenging changes and insurance companies had to make sure that their client’s FULLY understood the parameters of the contract that they were paying the premiums for.

Ultimately, you should have read the small print but it is worth a try for R36 k.

Good luck