Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Cape town voted a top destination by travel guide!

Cape town voted a top destination by travel guide!

Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

6000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cape town voted a top destination by travel guide!

Originally Posted by Kitten24
Sorry, I've not been around but I am particularly negative about SA at the moment. My Dad was robbed again last night (the second time in two weeks) and they've taken everything they left last time, except his guns. (Which we are terrified they will come back for again as they couldn't get the safe open even with an angle grinder)

He is sick as a dog at the moment as his one kidney has failed and the other one is on it's way out too, and to come home and find you have nothing left is devastating. He is a broken man this morning.

I feel I cannot sit here and read someone spouting rubbish about how the crime isn't that bad, without getting very angry and saying something awful, so I am staying clear for a while. And to anyone who comes on here and says that my Dad deserved this... %*$£&!"%
This is a terrible story and this reply may sound a little heartless, but why is this relevant to this thread?
You posted this on it's own thread as well. Why both? It's a genuine question: I'm confused.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

"I feel I cannot sit here and read someone spouting rubbish about how the crime isn't that bad, without getting very angry "
I would say thats a good enough reason to reply to a thread that she was active in as well as.
IMO
Old Jul 4th 2007, 12:29 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 6000
This is a terrible story and this reply may sound a little heartless, but why is this relevant to this thread?
You posted this on it's own thread as well. Why both? It's a genuine question: I'm confused.

Bearing in mind what has happened, I would imagine that Kitten is very upset, reacted by posting it in the thread and then realising, started her own thread ...... is it really that important? And yes, it does seem heartless

Shall we get this thread back on track?
Old Jul 4th 2007, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Bearing in mind what has happened, I would imagine that Kitten is very upset, reacted by posting it in the thread and then realising, started her own thread ...... is it really that important? And yes, it does seem heartless

Shall we get this thread back on track?
Genuine question - genuine answers. Thanks.

But as for the "back on track" bit - I think it lost track on the third post!
Old Jul 4th 2007, 6:49 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

All very well, but I'm confused as to who is the troll here?!?

A perfectly reasonable thread about Cape Town being voted a great tourist destination (which it is), hijacked (pun intended) by someone trying to tell me I'll get mugged on Table Mountain. I could have sworn that Table Mountain was part of the Cape and a HUGE tourist attraction! It can also make you a very attractive target. Some unfortunate buggers have not been so lucky. I thought the recommendation that you bury your car keys somewhere before venturing around the mountain absolutely hysterical. That's a new slant on protecting your property.
Sure - I might, but it might also happen in Rio, London, Paris or anywhere else too. The muggings on the mountain are few and far between but attract a disproportionate amount of publicity. Of course these things happen everywhere, it's just that the issue of crime is taken more seriously and dealt with accordingly. The odds of the SAP being helpful to these people is....well....weak.

I don't think 80safrikan's response was at all well put, but I don't think he was the troll here. I live in Cape Town - it's not as bad as people are making out on virtually every thread on here. There really is no need for this hysteria.
There are a lot of Capetonians that live here in Western States that don't seem to share your point of view. There are a lot more of my friends that moved from Joburg to the Cape to get away from the high crime element and they are finding that they having to increase their security needs regardless. They're obviously seeing things you don't.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:52 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
There are a lot of Capetonians that live here in Western States that don't seem to share your point of view. There are a lot more of my friends that moved from Joburg to the Cape to get away from the high crime element and they are finding that they having to increase their security needs regardless. They're obviously seeing things you don't.
If anyone does visit CT then make sure you visit the Bokaap Museum. It's a brilliant insight into how apartheid wrecked people's lives.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 7:25 am
NTS
NTS

NTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant future

I guess there is a big difference between visiting cape town for 2 weeks, seeing table mountain, going to boulders beech, going to the V&A etc, and living there for 15+ years.

At the end of the day it is unlikely crime will happen to a careful person while visitng for 2 weeks, And I really believe that cape town is one of the must see places in the world. The natural part of cape town (not V&A - which I cant stand!) is so beautiful.

... And franschoek was great... especially Cabriere estate
Old Jul 5th 2007, 8:20 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NTS
I guess there is a big difference between visiting cape town for 2 weeks, seeing table mountain, going to boulders beech, going to the V&A etc, and living there for 15+ years.

At the end of the day it is unlikely crime will happen to a careful person while visitng for 2 weeks, And I really believe that cape town is one of the must see places in the world. The natural part of cape town (not V&A - which I cant stand!) is so beautiful.

... And franschoek was great... especially Cabriere estate
Cool. Like all the small funky towns on the way out to simons town. Good surfing at muizenburg too (and komikee?)
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:06 am
NTS
NTS

NTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
Cool. Like all the small funky towns on the way out to simons town. Good surfing at muizenburg too (and komikee?)
I am really upset at the lack of surfing in my life:curse:. In UK I used to visit croyde bay once a month. I was always definitely not a beginner, but not yet a solid surfer - somewhere in between. I wanted to use the time in South Africa to get good and surf some world class breaks, btu have only got round to surfing in Durbs 3 times in a year and a half. Going down to J-Bay in August, but I am thinking of sticking to the longboard bit. I am seriously out of practice. And supertubes look scary for someone who will spend the first session falling off!

Where is good in CT to surf for a few fun sessions for beginners (i.e. sandy bottom (so to speak), with not many sharks or rips or aggro locals) - I looked at Nordhoek last time and looked good but was V Big.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:24 am
Banned

Originally Posted by NTS
I am really upset at the lack of surfing in my life:curse:. In UK I used to visit croyde bay once a month. I was always definitely not a beginner, but not yet a solid surfer - somewhere in between. I wanted to use the time in South Africa to get good and surf some world class breaks, btu have only got round to surfing in Durbs 3 times in a year and a half. Going down to J-Bay in August, but I am thinking of sticking to the longboard bit. I am seriously out of practice. And supertubes look scary for someone who will spend the first session falling off!

Where is good in CT to surf for a few fun sessions for beginners (i.e. sandy bottom (so to speak), with not many sharks or rips or aggro locals) - I looked at Nordhoek last time and looked good but was V Big.

Muizenberg. I've been there several times and the waves are perfect for long boards. J-bay is not that scary most of the time and has a huge beach - really some good spots for learning (some of the locals are a bit tribal though). I was there about 2 months ago and spent a lot of time surfing magna tubes. Also Cape St Francis. Really good. Im probably at the same level as you. I bought a short board at xmas but I soon realised it was too early and went back to mini mal.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Hi Tegwyn

Foolish decision by your Jo'burg friends, since the Western Cape and Cape Town has a murder rate 1.5x that of the national average and the highest in the country!

I think that there are too many people on this board with "extremist" views - and that goes both ways: From the Daily Mail reading drama queens through to the out and out denailists. And they're as bad as each other. The former tend to be more vocal, the latter just don't see the problems.
And they should, because they are there.
My only point is that those problems should be kept in proportion. For every tourist that gets mugged, another few hundred go home having had a wonderful and safe holiday. Equally, for every person that comes on here reporting a crime in SA, there are millions that don't tell you that they didn't experience a crime in SA today. But those posts would get a little monotonous, n'est pas?

Me? I see myself in the middle. I "see things" - believe me, but I also realise that I have a life to live. I live in a beautiful country with beautiful people who (generally) have a magical outlook on life. It's an amazing place to live and it's an amazing place to visit on holiday.
And 2010 is going to be absolutely fantastic, before anyone asks.

Last edited by 6000; Jul 5th 2007 at 9:45 am.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
Muizenberg. I've been there several times and the waves are perfect for long boards. J-bay is not that scary most of the time and has a huge beach - really some good spots for learning (some of the locals are a bit tribal though). I was there about 2 months ago and spent a lot of time surfing magna tubes. Also Cape St Francis. Really good. Im probably at the same level as you. I bought a short board at xmas but I soon realised it was too early and went back to mini mal.
Regularly go body-boarding - esp out at Hermanus. Have had some superb experiences with dolphins in the waves beside me and whales 50m off shore, just outside the breakers.
Can't see myself progressing to surfing though - I'm getting a bit old for that and my sense of self-preservation kicks in when I see some of the larger waves.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 11:11 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

You see extremism. We see realism and experience.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
You see extremism. We see realism and experience.
See?
SEE?

I can look out of the window and "see" South Africa.
You?
Old Jul 5th 2007, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

See?
SEE?

I can look out of the window and "see" South Africa.
You?
I think that is something of an exaggeration unless you have very good eyesight and a very high window.

Pablo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.