Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Applying for a South African ID book in the London

Applying for a South African ID book in the London

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Question Applying for a South African ID book in London

Has anyone had to go through this ordeal?

From the dept of home affairs website it says I need:-
  • A certified copy of Birth Certificate (certified by?)
  • Marriage Certificate (doesn't say whether copy, certified or not)
  • Two photographs of self
  • Can only apply in person between 9-11 am Mon to Fri
  • Can't download form in advance.
http://www.home-affairs.gov.za/service_detail.asp?id=1

Any caveats or usual difficulties to expect?

Last edited by Alfresco; Aug 2nd 2010 at 9:28 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for a South African ID book in the London

All sorted now.

Thanks for all the replies, it's been great help!
Old Aug 14th 2010, 12:11 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
All sorted now.

Thanks for all the replies, it's been great help!
Hi Alfresco, glad you got sorted but must be honest and tell you I have not had to deal with that stuff in years. Have no plans on returning so a moot point and thus useless to you anyway. I will do holidays to visit family but that is about it.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
Hi Alfresco, glad you got sorted but must be honest and tell you I have not had to deal with that stuff in years. Have no plans on returning so a moot point and thus useless to you anyway. I will do holidays to visit family but that is about it.
Thanks. I had to apply for a barcoded one in order to transfer house sale money out the country using my Foreign Investment Allowance. For that you have to have a barcoded ID book. Old one won't do.

Anyway all done now and Tax Clearance Certificate has been issued and I'm in the process of transferring all my money to Oz.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

Alfresco, how long did it take to get your ID book?

My dad needs to move some money, but I am not sure if he has the new id book or not. Just saw your thread and it made me wonder.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 6:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Daydreamer123
Alfresco, how long did it take to get your ID book?

My dad needs to move some money, but I am not sure if he has the new id book or not. Just saw your thread and it made me wonder.
They allowed me transfer the cash on proof that I had applied for the ID book in London from the S.A. High Commision. I need to send them a certfified copy of the new ID book when I receive it.

The ID book itself can 2-3 months so I asked them to send it to Australia rather than London as I won't be here.

Last edited by Alfresco; Aug 17th 2010 at 6:56 am.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

Cool - I will ring him this week and see if he has what he needs.

He has done a fair bit of research, but may not realise that there is a difference between the old ID's and barcoded ones. I didn't know there were different ones, but I have a feeling I can remember a barcode in mine, but my dads is so old, he still has hair in the photo

I am sure he will love to add a trip to SA House into his pre-holiday agenda!

Its pretty good they will send it to Oz for you, when do you get here?
Old Aug 18th 2010, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Daydreamer123
Cool - I will ring him this week and see if he has what he needs.

He has done a fair bit of research, but may not realise that there is a difference between the old ID's and barcoded ones. I didn't know there were different ones, but I have a feeling I can remember a barcode in mine, but my dads is so old, he still has hair in the photo

I am sure he will love to add a trip to SA House into his pre-holiday agenda!

Its pretty good they will send it to Oz for you, when do you get here?

Good luck with it all.

I had hair on my old book photo too. I was 18. Things have gone downhill since then.

We arrive in Brisbane on 3rd September - the start of spring.

Can't face another freezing cold winter like the last one here.