Reload this Page >

American School of Marrakech/Life in Gueliz

American School of Marrakech/Life in Gueliz

Old May 2nd 2012, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Looolabella is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile American School of Marrakech/Life in Gueliz

Hello everyone,

I have just become a member here as my partner has accepted an offer of work at the above school, starting in August.

I just wondered if anybody on here has worked/works there too and if so, could you give us any insight into life there?

I am also interetsed in hearing about life in Gueliz, the area where our apartment will be.

Any repsonses welcome!

This is the first forum I have ever joined in my whole life, so please forgive me if I get any etiquette wrong!

Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you
Old May 2nd 2012, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

MarrakechAndy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: American School of Marrakech/Life in Gueliz

My girlfriend also just got a job for next year at the school and she's moving to Marrakech from Scotland in the summer. I have been living here in Morocco for nearly 3 years and know plenty of the teachers at the school. Gueliz is a pretty handy part of the city for shopping, restaurants and nightlife and not too far a walk to the Medina (old city). I'm sure you'll have a great time here but beware as it's going to be hot in the summer when you arrive! Also, it can get surprisingly chilly in the winter but you'll have plenty of time to prepare for that.

Let me know if there's any more info I can help you with.

Andy
Old May 2nd 2012, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

Ah thanks for that Andy. I have heard it will be extremely hot - my mum and stepdad visited for a holiday in August last year! We think Richard is going go on ahead of me as some close friends of ours are getting married in September - I will probably stay at home to 'represent' for both of us at the wedding and then come out to join him afterwards.

Do you have any knowledge of what it's like to teach at the school at all? It seems like a decent place but it's quite hard to find out much more than that.

Well, I guess Richard and your girlfriend will meet as colleagues anyway! He teaches English; what does your girlfriend teach?

Thanks again for your reply,

Louise
Old May 2nd 2012, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

MarrakechAndy is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as I'm aware, it's a pretty good place to work at and I have made plenty of friends with the teachers there so I'm sure he'll settle in well.

Catherine's a primary teacher but I'm sure their paths will cross. We'll be living at the same apartments as you guys too and they're in a good part of gueliz.
Old May 2nd 2012, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Oh that's great - very reassuring stuff! See you in a few months then probably!

Louise
Old Jun 30th 2012, 11:52 am
Just Joined

zouhairuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Looolabella
Hello everyone,

I have just become a member here as my partner has accepted an offer of work at the above school, starting in August.

I just wondered if anybody on here has worked/works there too and if so, could you give us any insight into life there?

I am also interetsed in hearing about life in Gueliz, the area where our apartment will be.

Any repsonses welcome!

This is the first forum I have ever joined in my whole life, so please forgive me if I get any etiquette wrong!

Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you
My Son will go next year to the ASM, we just moved from London I have visited the school am sure you partner will enjoy working there.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

lisajane07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I have just applied for a job at the american school for the special needs teaching position. I currently work as a high school teacher in the UK but I am moving to Marrakech in the summer. I was wondering if you could tell me how long it took for you to hear anything back from the school when you applied for the jobs there? Any info would be much appreciated.

Lisa
Old May 3rd 2013, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

nrgaunt1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I hope your first year in Marrakesh has gone well. I have just accepted a job at the American School of Marrakesh and will be flying out with my wife, toddler and what will be a newborn. I was wondering if we could make contact so that you could let me know things that you have discovered over the past year. I am intrigued as to the number of teachers there are with young families, other non-working spouses that my wife can hang out with, lifestyle that the salary affords you, and quality of the apartments. It is really hard to get all of the information I want without feeling like I am badgering the HR guy at the school.

I hope to hear back from you,

Nick
Old Aug 11th 2013, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

carimac is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi nrgaunt1,

My husband and I are coming to work for the school this year as well. Wow for coming to Marrakech with a newborn! We are coming with a 2 and half year old. I'm the same, not wanting to pester the HR guys about info, but I will let you know anything we discover. We're arriving in Marrakech the 20th.

Can't help with non-working spouses as we'll both be teaching, but I do know there's a shop like IKEA called KITEA in Gueliz that will have useful household and baby items for the first few weeks until you figure out how to shop more like a local Since all the housing is in the same area, I'm sure we'll meet soon.

Also, we'll need a nanny for the orientation week, so if you find out about any other non working spouses who'd like to make a bit of extra money, please pass on the info!

Good luck moving!