Reload this Page >

Possible job offer in Nigeria....Lagos

Possible job offer in Nigeria....Lagos

Old Sep 19th 2016, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Sannxoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possible job offer in Nigeria....Lagos

Hi All

I may be in a position to take a job in Nigeria, working for a large multi national company, my existing employer.

I currently live in the UK and would need to re-locate with my wife and two children.

Questions:

What is live like for expats - you can assume the usual relocation package / benefits a large company would offer.

Schools for children - how good are they and the quality of education

Recreational facilities - what parks / things to do for the children outside of school and as a family

My wife, typically what do the wives of expat workers do.

It would be really good to hear of your experiences. The job is a good opportunity. I'm concerned of living predominantly in a compound and not being able to go to the park with the children or even the beach.......I have never been there, so appreciate I may have a blinkered view.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Sannxoo; Sep 19th 2016 at 7:47 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Possible job offer in Nigeria....Lagos

Wow.....no one is able to give a view on Lagos. Come on guys & girls this is the point of a forum!!
Old Sep 20th 2016, 11:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sannxoo
Wow.....no one is able to give a view on Lagos. Come on guys & girls this is the point of a forum!!
I don't think BE has too many members inLagos........
Old Sep 21st 2016, 6:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

1) Re-read Site Rule 13 pls.

2) Search the forum to see what's been said about Lagos in the past, and it's unlikely there are many (any?) members living there. I have a friend that was sent on an expat assignment there, said it was worse than living in Beirut and Afghanistan and a complete @£!*hole!
Old Sep 21st 2016, 10:32 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

There's a poster on the Canada forum called Pizzawheel who I'm pretty sure used to live and work in Lagos. You could PM him.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Charl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Lagos 2012 to 2014.

It's not all that bad as long as you arrive there with no expectations and an open mind.

Depending on where you stay will also make a difference. I didn't have any children in school but it is my understanding that the American School is rather good, if you can get an opening.
Many expats hire a boat over a weekend to visit the beach, a good couple available, white sands palm trees, however very dirty with rubbish on the beach. Not ideal to swim in the sea, bad currents etc.

Parks , again which area you looking at staying?
Old Sep 21st 2016, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply charl. I would be looking at ikoyi or bananna island
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

I may be in a position to take a job in Nigeria, working for a large multi national company, my existing employer.

I currently live in the UK and would need to re-locate with my wife and two children.

Questions:

What is live like for expats - you can assume the usual relocation package / benefits a large company would offer.

Schools for children - how good are they and the quality of education

Recreational facilities - what parks / things to do for the children outside of school and as a family

My wife, typically what do the wives of expat workers do.

It would be really good to hear of your experiences. The job is a good opportunity. I'm concerned of living predominantly in a compound and not being able to go to the park with the children or even the beach.......I have never been there, so appreciate I may have a blinkered view.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance
You dont say why you think it is a good opportunity? For a family man, and from what I read, its not a place where you dan expect to go and actually have a pleasant life. No doubt you are thinking short term, and hoping to stick some money in the bank, but if so, is it worth it ? What do you plan to do, once your time there is up?
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been to Lagos but I know several people who have lived/worked there and none of them have had anything positive to say about it, apart from a former colleague who worked for the local office of a British insurer in the early 70s.

There are quite a few challenges. Look here for more info: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-and-security. I assume you also know the 419 scams take their name from Section 419 of the Nigerian Criminal Code (fraud) and that victims have been kidnapped for ransom?

Why don't you ask your employer to fly you out for a recce? A couple of days should be enough to make your mind up.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 1:39 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

I went there. Once. *shudder*

Let's just say Johannesburg looks like Dubai or Miami in comparison. Good luck.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply.....the posting is for approx 3 years. So not insignificant, given the challenging location you're normally well looked after.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Lagos and in Ondo Stae in the 1970s. Nothing to recommend it - and I did 17 years in Saudi Arabia!
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

MrsMosquito is an unknown quantity at this point

It may be too late, but I am in Lagos and am happy to answer any questions!
Old Mar 4th 2017, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsMosquito
It may be too late, but I am in Lagos and am happy to answer any questions!
Hi there

Thanks for replying. Just wondering what life is like in general, with children is it safe in expat areas to take a walk around etc.

Still not moved looking at a number of oops.

Thanks
Old Mar 4th 2017, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

MrsMosquito is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been here for 3 years and enjoy my life here, though it is fair to say that some do not. Some expats love it and some hate it! Those who are happy are generally realistic about the pros and cons, and enjoy the benefits - which usually include a decent salary package, frequent flights home, a short flight to Blighty, no time difference, so easy communication with family back home, etc, etc... There is a range of schools available, of variable quality; however most children are very happy here. Some compounds are as large as a village - such as Ocean Parade on Banana Island. Generally you don't walk around - as much due to the traffic and lack of pavements as to any perceived or real security threat. However it is possible to walk and cycle and run on Banana Island. Shopping is more limited than the UK bur really not too bad if I am honest. All together I am very happy here.