Accra, Ghana

Old Nov 15th 2012, 10:48 am
Just Joined

MHMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accra, Ghana

Hi there,

I am hoping to secure a new position where I'll be based in Ghana and would like to hear from people working in Ghana.
My company will provide accommodation and the office is in the Airport area.

Should I get a car or am I ok to get by using taxis?

Thanks
MH
Old Nov 18th 2012, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

misterno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Accra, Ghana

I always prefer taxis in new citys
Old Nov 24th 2012, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Pete Steri is an unknown quantity at this point

welcome to Ghana.

taxis in Accra are now expensive, for those of us who live and work here, get paid in local cedis, taxis are cheaper that UK.
Beware the they will fleece you, if your a new comer, depending where your travelling to, they charge higher because of the traffic, bumper to bumper, her you pay not only for the distance you travel, their time stood in traffic, Plus they try to charge you if you put items in the boot. all taxis are negotiable, if you've done the same route before and they charge you higher **** em off, it works. an walk away mostly they will bargain.
BE-WARNED there are crooks driving taxis, if you get in an empty taxi and your having a droop in DO NOT let him stop to pick any one else, if he stops look around quickly, see if there's people come down both sides of the taxi front or back. they'll jump in both side pin you in the middle.
if he takes a route where theres nother vehicle going, it could be an ambush.
I'm sorry to say this but Ghana ain't like it was 5 -10 years a go
How long you staying?

Trotros are cheaper you need to get to know the stations, the mates will help you as some drivers will, tell them where your going and will stop where your going if changing trotros they point you to the other vehicle.

carry money in all pockets not in one pocket, pick pocket are around. what your phone.

Beware where you stick your pencil!!!

Anything else drop me a mail. I live in Koforidua,

Debi means no, if they pester you just say D.D.F.D (My phr) they will look at you, what does that mean, DEBI DEBI ****ing DEBI they go work every time. i've told many of the girls here to say that if boys pester them, now many people use it in k'dua.

dink bottled water if your not sure, ICE COOL, 'Special' is good also the sachet ok, PURE WATER, some have a lot of chloride in don't drink or if it's tastes earth.

eating out , stick to place you see a lot using until you get used to things, they ain't particular where the water comes from when cooking.

you'll be on malaria tablets, keep on them for a while.
owt else contact me.

you into buliding?

Pete
Old Jan 13th 2013, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

manuel.b is an unknown quantity at this point

I will be also moving to Ghana soon, and working close to the airport as well. The company will not provide me with a car so i will have to rely on public transport and taxis but i have been told these are fine. Pete is that not the case?