Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

10 best African cities to live in

10 best African cities to live in

Old May 17th 2009, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold
Default 10 best African cities to live in

http://realestate.msn.com/slideshow....entid=19711427

Forbes magazine: World’s 10 best places to live

How the cities stacked up in quality of life and infrastructure, and how their rankings compare to last year.

1. Vienna
2. Zürich
3. Geneva
4. (tie) Vancouver, Canada
4. (tie) Auckland, New Zealand
6. Düsseldorf, Germany
7. Munich
8. Frankfurt
9. Bern, Switzerland
10. Sydney

ok...(interesting to see no US cities)..

so I would say:
1. Cape Town
2. Lilongwe
3. Gaborone
4. Nairobi

Old May 17th 2009, 4:41 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 10 best African cities to live in

If I had a choice between Vancouver or Sydney it would be Sydney hands down. Absolutely loved the vibe of the place.
Old May 17th 2009, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

With the amount of African Refugees
London
Dublin
Galway
Old May 18th 2009, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

and your OH is canadian?...no loyalty gong fer ye woman

now what about your rating for african cities?- how is Lusaka?

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
If I had a choice between Vancouver or Sydney it would be Sydney hands down. Absolutely loved the vibe of the place.
Old May 18th 2009, 1:58 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Erm, my beloved is a born Scot. Still behaves like one too! Lived in Canada and it did not grab me so we headed south and ended up in the western states. If you could toss out all the criminals I would absolutely consider good old Cape Town. A beautiful bit of geography. We had once pondered a return on our retirement but I have decided that I am not that agile at dodging bullets or running from the latest thug so decided for a more sedate retirement somewhere warmer in the western states. We are considering a second abode somewhere in Spain for a European escape when I have had enough of this lot. Scotland is completely out of the question because it always has one huge big soggy cloud hanging over it.
Old May 18th 2009, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys... how are you all. I hope you don't mind if I add my fave African cities.

1) Bulawayo
2) Harare
3) Maputo
4) Luanda
5) Durban
6) Cape Town
7) Windhoek
8) Kigali
9) Addis Abeba
10) Lusaka

It's been a long winter... hugs to you all.
Old May 18th 2009, 8:26 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Well hello 'honey!!! Where have yer been??
Old May 19th 2009, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

wow nice list- so I remember now: you have the Canadian OH

Obviously this is not exactly scientific analysis but based more on experience and lifestyle, closeness of amenities etc. Interesting that CT only comes in at 6. Windhoek looks a definite (although I haven't been there).
Should be seeing Addis very soon. Never thought of Kigali.

but seriously...Bulawayo!!

Originally Posted by newshoney
Hey guys... how are you all. I hope you don't mind if I add my fave African cities.

1) Bulawayo
2) Harare
3) Maputo
4) Luanda
5) Durban
6) Cape Town
7) Windhoek
8) Kigali
9) Addis Abeba
10) Lusaka

It's been a long winter... hugs to you all.
Old May 19th 2009, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys... missed y'all. I dip in from time to time to see how you're doing but I'm a long, long way away these days (some might say in Narnia) and I don't feel qualified to opine much on current African events any more as it's sometimes just too depressing.

As with any list of this kind, it's down to personal tastes and prejudices... if I have to live in a city then I am happiest in smaller-scale places with parks and squares and public gardens where people can mingle and share ideas - where there's a cafe culture of intellectual debate, open-air music, sculpture and art. And easy access to the great outdoors because I love to hike... or just be under those wide wonderful skies (can you tell how much I miss this?). For proper enjoyment of all the above I would add a warm, sunny and dry (rather than tropically humid) climate.

So my choices are not a scientific list, just a list of places I've enjoyed the most... CT, while beautiful, comes way down because of my perception of insecurity there, because I felt so uneasy at the huge disparity between the 'nice' areas where rich whites lived compared to the rest and because it gets really cool in winter (oh the irony, now that I'm in the land of perpetual snows). It's also a bit big and surrounded by too many burbs (I am being polite here).

B'wayo (on behalf of Matabeleland) is because of the people, climate, its smaller scale than Harare and ease of access to some of the most fabulous places on the continent (especially Vic Falls, Kariba and the parks). It's easy to see how one day, when the Zanu tyranny is long forgotten and the scars are healed, a little urban planning and tlc will restore its glory. Harare ditto but has more sprawl and townships and is a longish drive from the above-mentioned glories.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

edited post: well, no surprises here...

Harare 'worst city to live in'

1.Vancouver,
2.Vienna
3. Melbourne,
4. Toronto,
5. Perth,
6. Calgary,
7. Helsinki and
8. Geneva, with
9. Sydney and Zurich.