Reload this Page >

1,000,000 Chinese in Africa

1,000,000 Chinese in Africa

Old Jul 7th 2010, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

whalewatcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 1,000,000 Chinese in Africa

And here's an interesting addendum from this article:
The stop-and-go quality of major Chinese farming deals and the strong feelings that they’ve produced suggest that the honeymoon between the Chinese and Africans may not last long. During the course of my trip, land issues seemed to bring out the ugliest biases in the people I spoke to. “If you gave this land to Chinese people to work it, this place would be rich overnight,” said one Chinese woman immigrant, a middle-aged trader in southern Congo: “They’re too lazy, these Africans.” Many Africans, for their part, were intensely wary of Chinese immigration; Daniel told me that this was a particularly raw issue among many of his friends. Conspiracy theories echoed frequently. In Dar, for instance, rumors had spread that the new national sports stadium was part of a secret deal to grant land to Chinese farmers in Tanzania.
Looks like the nineteenth century in Africa is gearing up for an Asian-style remake. Remember, the European colonies began as mission-stations and trading posts. It took a few decades to turn into military control and absolute government.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 1:14 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whalewatcher
Hamba kakuhle, uTroll!
Hamba Kakuhle ? Where did you get this from, the Lion King ?
Seriously what does this mean in your native African tongue ?
Old Jul 7th 2010, 1:18 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
I'll start to fall for all of this when I begin seeing fairies trotting around the bottom of the garden...... The only thing that will happen to Africa when the Chinese get a good foothold on it is the disappearance of the African face. They are not into sharing and they don't share the western value for human life either. Means we will be reading about the tribal man in text books and discussing how they became extinct like the dinosaur.
My brother, people have tried to wipe out Africans for many, many , many years, but they are still going strong, and are so spread out around the globe now. I think this nullifies your future insights.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 1:22 pm

And here's an interesting addendum from this article:
The stop-and-go quality of major Chinese farming deals and the strong feelings that they’ve produced suggest that the honeymoon between the Chinese and Africans may not last long. During the course of my trip, land issues seemed to bring out the ugliest biases in the people I spoke to. “If you gave this land to Chinese people to work it, this place would be rich overnight,” said one Chinese woman immigrant, a middle-aged trader in southern Congo: “They’re too lazy, these Africans.” Many Africans, for their part, were intensely wary of Chinese immigration; Daniel told me that this was a particularly raw issue among many of his friends. Conspiracy theories echoed frequently. In Dar, for instance, rumors had spread that the new national sports stadium was part of a secret deal to grant land to Chinese farmers in Tanzania.
Looks like the nineteenth century in Africa is gearing up for an Asian-style remake. Remember, the European colonies began as mission-stations and trading posts. It took a few decades to turn into military control and absolute government.
Interesting, if rather bleak observation. Lets just hope Africa has learned her lesson from the past and seeks advice from the President of Zimbabwe as to how to deal with these leeches. Maybe the chinese just have good hearts and we are looking to deep into this. After all they to are the scattered children of the Mother land.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by pgtips
Hamba Kakuhle ? Where did you get this from, the Lion King ?
Seriously what does this mean in your native African tongue ?
I'll translate it into your native tongue if you want...cockney perhaps?
Old Jul 7th 2010, 1:45 pm

I'll translate it into your native tongue if you want...cockney perhaps?
wad du u mean mayte ?:

Nah, I am just like you, all different kinds of blood flowing through my veins.
what really is native to us nomads ?
Old Jul 7th 2010, 2:12 pm

Going back to the Chinese investment in Africa. The Chinese openly admit that they are not doing all of this for nothing and part of the deal is they will be able to extract and export back to China precious minerals in the future. They have also stressed that they are not interested in African lands and this is not part of the deal.

Now surely being open and honest is a much better deal for Africa than the sneaky way the Europeans crept in.

I think the Chinese and Africans will be just fine, both brothers working together for the better of all.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 2:39 pm
Account Closed

I think the Chinese and Africans will be just fine, both brothers working together for the better of all.
Just like Tibet. As Confucius said, "Never give a sucker an even break."
Old Jul 7th 2010, 3:13 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Aw PG, Tegwyn is a FEMALE name... Nothing brotherly about me.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 3:18 pm

Just like Tibet. As Confucius said, "Never give a sucker an even break."
How can you compare Chinese interest in Tibet with their interest in Africa ?
Tibet is on China's border. The British were trying to establish a stronghold there as were the Indians and Russians. The Chinese stepped in and claimed sovereingty as a precaution to national security. Just the same way Britain or America would step in if the Russians or Chinese were trying to establish a stronghold on their borders. Just look at the crisis that Cuba caused a few decades ago.

Please do not try and distort the facts and attempt to confuse the less informed. A lesson has been dispensed today, and for goodness sake just cherish your African roots.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
Aw PG, Tegwyn is a FEMALE name... Nothing brotherly about me.
Well my precious sister, welcome back into the family.

Oh I should have known as the name Tegwyn, it sounds Welsh but means beautiful African princess.

Last edited by pgtips; Jul 7th 2010 at 3:32 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm enjoying PGtips's legpulling.
The Egyptian's were basicallya backward tribe with no real history or language until they were invaded by the Sumerians. et Voila!
Old Jul 7th 2010, 7:22 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Well my precious sister, welcome back into the family.

Oh I should have known as the name Tegwyn, it sounds Welsh but means beautiful African princess.
I'll forgive you for not understanding Welsh. However Tegwyn means fair and white. More like redhead and pale.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 2:54 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back Pablo - it's been a while. Was worried for a bit that you had decided to come back to SA - and someone had done away with you in Hillbrow....

Another great African thread - this is why I generally keep away now....

Anyway - can't stop - got to teach my wife how to ride a bike.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 3:02 pm
Nuts and Bolts

That's hard work Ed, training wheels do just fine....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.