Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

UK to US - CPA (courses and sponsorship)

UK to US - CPA (courses and sponsorship)

Old May 12th 2008, 11:44 am
Just Joined

jk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to US - CPA (courses and sponsorship)

I'm from the UK and am considering doing an extension course at UCLA in California to gain a certificate in accounting. They state that this would fulfill the requirements to sit the CPA exam, as I also have an undergrad degree in Economics from the UK which should fulfill the the other requirement. I do not have any actual experience in accountancy. I would also be eligible to go on OPT for a year following completion of the course which would go some way toward fulfilling the work experience requirement. I was just wondering if anyone knew anymore about taking this path towards working as a CPA in California. I must also add that I would be looking to be sponsored for an H1-B visa following OPT and was wondering if anyone knew whether this all sounds feasible?
Old May 14th 2008, 1:19 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to US - CPA (courses and sponsorship)

H1-B is a difficult visa because there is a quota and it's well over-subscribed. Also, the pathway to a green card is difficult.

I would recommend the following route:

1. Get your U.K. degree, if you can do a Masters it won't hurt;

2. Train as a Chartered Accountant, preferably in a Big Four firm.

3. If you do well in a Big Four firm, you could be transferred to the U.S. on an L visa (although getting a green card might still be a challenge)

4. Unless you plan to practise public accounting in the United States, it doesn't matter very much which state you get your CPA designation from. Some states may be more straightforward than California (exam is the same, other requirements may differ).
Old May 15th 2008, 6:52 am
You will be mine in Hell.

Hellboy663 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JAJ
H1-B is a difficult visa because there is a quota and it's well over-subscribed. Also, the pathway to a green card is difficult.

3. If you do well in a Big Four firm, you could be transferred to the U.S. on an L visa (although getting a green card might still be a challenge)

4. Unless you plan to practise public accounting in the United States, it doesn't matter very much which state you get your CPA designation from. Some states may be more straightforward than California (exam is the same, other requirements may differ).
Just curious here Jeremy. You've said that getting a green card could be a challenge. Which means are there cases where some people could have been denied the green card after being in H1B? I'm aware however that the process takes years.
Old May 15th 2008, 11:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hellboy663
Just curious here Jeremy. You've said that getting a green card could be a challenge. Which means are there cases where some people could have been denied the green card after being in H1B? I'm aware however that the process takes years.
The main "challenge" is the timescale, and the chance that something could go wrong with the job in the meantime (company downsizing etc).

Third preference employment based green card, EB-3, which is the usual option for H1-B, does take a long time. However some H1B qualify for second preference, EB-2, which is a lot quicker.

Those born in mainland China and India face longer waits (because of per-country limits) unless they can claim chargeability to another country
Old May 15th 2008, 11:58 am
Just Joined

jk22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ

Thanks for your advice. So basically does i boil down to the fact that getting an H1-B visa is a little bit of a lottery because of the quota? So even if I manage to find a company that can sponsor me, it just depends on whether they can get the application in within the quota limit?
Old May 16th 2008, 3:57 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by jk22
Thanks for your advice. So basically does i boil down to the fact that getting an H1-B visa is a little bit of a lottery because of the quota? So even if I manage to find a company that can sponsor me, it just depends on whether they can get the application in within the quota limit?
I believe so, yes.

And if you were lucky and got a H1-B visa, there would likely still be a long pathway to a Green Card (with plenty of risk that it would all go wrong meanwhile - many people spend years on H1B and then have to leave).

But ask on the U.S. immigration forum or do some research online about the H1B if you want to know more.