Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

UK CTA experience relevant for Aus employers?

UK CTA experience relevant for Aus employers?

Old Jan 8th 2012, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

freemilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK CTA experience relevant for Aus employers?

Hi

My husband is a CTA qualified tax manager working in house for a large company. I am a CA and we are hoping to emigrate some time in the next four years, once our youngest is a bit older. We will be able to get a visa under my name but are worried that my husband won't be able to find any work at his level since all his experience and qualifications are in the UK.

Given that he doesn't need to get a CA qualification for visa purposes, is there a course that would give him all the Australian tax knowledge he would need for employers in Australia. Or would they still dismiss him even if he did have the Australian tax qualification but not the practical experience? Would he be better trying to gain an International Tax qualification (Master of Tax over here) instead?

Grateful for any insights. Thanks
Old Jan 9th 2012, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

JOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really nice
Default Re: UK CTA experience relevant for Aus employers?

Check out the Tax Institute of Australia on http://www.taxinstitute.com.au/

He can do the exams while still in the UK, and it is far much cheaper than a Master of Taxation (Average cost is at least $25k, even while on PR). Upon completion, he will be eligible for exemptions to a Masters at the UNSW School of Taxation.

Regarding the jobs, tax is country specific but I believe there are multinationals which could use his experience. My employer is listed in the LSE and we have a colleague who does the UK corporate tax out of Perth.

Last edited by JOE2010; Jan 9th 2012 at 9:02 am.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

freemilly is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the info. The options for exams on that website are much better than the Masters of Tax. I can't believe how much that costs! If he can get some more international experience under his belt then that would probably help as well.

thanks again
Old May 31st 2012, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

JOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by freemilly
thanks for the info. The options for exams on that website are much better than the Masters of Tax. I can't believe how much that costs! If he can get some more international experience under his belt then that would probably help as well.

thanks again
With this new development I think your OH will be able to transfer his CTA qualification to Australia without having to do exams, or not having to do all papers.

"Until this year the Chartered Tax Adviser designation was held only by members of the UK’s prestigious Chartered Institute of Taxation, but it has been extended in a bid to recognise and promote the highest standards of tax advice internationally. The Tax Institute is only the third tax body to be granted the ability to designate its members as Chartered Tax Advisers."

See details in the link below;

http://www.taxinstitute.com.au/CTA

Last edited by JOE2010; May 31st 2012 at 7:43 am.