Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

UK ACCA wanting to study CPA (USA)

UK ACCA wanting to study CPA (USA)

Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:39 pm
Tasha

Nia63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK ACCA wanting to study CPA (USA)

Hi guys,

Im currently studying for the ACCA (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) qualification in the UK (im also a british citizen). I am currently at the end of Level 2 of the exams. Prior to that i have graduated with a First Class Honours Degree in Mathematics with Computer Science.

Now the problem is that i am planning to get married (after I qualify as an ACCA - hopefully by June 2008) to a US Green card holder (hes not a US citizen but hes a canadian citizen) and then reside in Texas.

Ive got a few queries, which i hope you can help me with:

After obtaining the ACCA qualification, I will have to study for the CPA qualification per the Texas Board and also find a job in Texas.
a) Would you know if i would get any exemptions from the CPA exams? or will i have to give all 5 exams? will the employers in Texas recognise my ACCA qualification?

b) where is the best place for me to start looking for a job? (unfortunately Texas is totally new to me and i don't even have any relatives there who can advise me) Would you recommend any good websites? How easy/difficult will it be for me finding a job in Texas?

c)Do the employers over there in USA sponsor the students for obtaining the CPA qualification? (for example I'm sure you're well aware that here in the UK, employers do sponsor students to obtain the ACCA quali)

d) once i get married, what is the best way for me to come to the USA to work and study for the CPA exams? Would i have to obtain a work permit? If yes, then how can i obtain one and how long will it take to get it?

your help will be greatly appreciated.

thank you so much
Old Jun 26th 2007, 2:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK ACCA wanting to study CPA (USA)

Originally Posted by Nia63
Hi guys,

Im currently studying for the ACCA (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) qualification in the UK (im also a british citizen). I am currently at the end of Level 2 of the exams. Prior to that i have graduated with a First Class Honours Degree in Mathematics with Computer Science.

Now the problem is that i am planning to get married (after I qualify as an ACCA - hopefully by June 2008) to a US Green card holder (hes not a US citizen but hes a canadian citizen) and then reside in Texas.
Is your future husband eligible for U.S. citizenship? If so, he ought to apply for naturalization because otherwise it will take many years for him to sponsor you for a green card.

Ive got a few queries, which i hope you can help me with:

After obtaining the ACCA qualification, I will have to study for the CPA qualification per the Texas Board and also find a job in Texas.
Are you planning to work in public accounting? (auditor, tax preparer etc)?
If not, then bear in mind that if you don't meet the requirements of the Texas State Board, you can choose another state board that with requirements that suit you better, eg Colorado.

a) Would you know if i would get any exemptions from the CPA exams?
or will i have to give all 5 exams?
No exemptions from the Uniform CPA Examination, sorry. But it's only 4 papers, not 5.

will the employers in Texas recognise my ACCA qualification?
No, sorry - they will usually only recognise U.S. CPA.

c)Do the employers over there in USA sponsor the students for obtaining the CPA qualification? (for example I'm sure you're well aware that here in the UK, employers do sponsor students to obtain the ACCA quali)
It's a matter for negotiation with an employer.

d) once i get married, what is the best way for me to come to the USA to work and study for the CPA exams? Would i have to obtain a work permit? If yes, then how can i obtain one and how long will it take to get it?
Ask on a U.S. immigration forum but it's hard to see how you will be able to get any kind of permit. Your best hope is for your fiance to become a U.S. citizen and sponsor you for a green card after marriage.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:58 am
Tasha

Nia63 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok thanx jaj - i'll look into it
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:07 am
Just Joined

ReadandAsk is an unknown quantity at this point

The Public Accountancy Act, promulgated by the Texas Legislature, sets the requirements for the CPA Examination.

1. Be of good moral character.
2. Meet specific education requirements.

The Board of Accountancy will determine that each applicant approved to take the CPA examination meets these requirements. There are many other requirements and if you want any more details you could visit the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy.

http://www.readandask.com/
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ReadandAsk
The Public Accountancy Act, promulgated by the Texas Legislature, sets the requirements for the CPA Examination.

1. Be of good moral character.
2. Meet specific education requirements.

The Board of Accountancy will determine that each applicant approved to take the CPA examination meets these requirements. There are many other requirements and if you want any more details you could visit the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy.

Well yes, but just because the original poster is planning to live in Texas doesn't mean he has to become a Texas CPA, unless planning to work in public practice.

Many Americans find it more convenient to become a CPA from another state and for those working in industry, employers usually don't care.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Checkmate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Well yes, but just because the original poster is planning to live in Texas doesn't mean he has to become a Texas CPA, unless planning to work in public practice.

Many Americans find it more convenient to become a CPA from another state and for those working in industry, employers usually don't care.
So JAJ, Could I - once I've finalised my ACCA Studies and fully qualified -, in effect, be based in Canada, but just jet into Colorado to take the exams?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:08 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Checkmate
So JAJ, Could I - once I've finalised my ACCA Studies and fully qualified -, in effect, be based in Canada, but just jet into Colorado to take the exams?
You can take the U.S. CPA exam in any of the 55 U.S. jurisdictions. You do not need to take the exam in the state of which you are a candidate. So you can do the exam as a Florida candidate (for example) at an exam center in New York state.

Some states have a residence requirement to take the CPA exam, Colorado is not among them.

Are you admissible to the United States?

Separately, as an ACCA to be based in Canada, do you plan to become a Canadian CGA under mutual recognition?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Checkmate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
You can take the U.S. CPA exam in any of the 55 U.S. jurisdictions. You do not need to take the exam in the state of which you are a candidate. So you can do the exam as a Florida candidate (for example) at an exam center in New York state.

Some states have a residence requirement to take the CPA exam, Colorado is not among them.

Are you admissible to the United States?

Separately, as an ACCA to be based in Canada, do you plan to become a Canadian CGA under mutual recognition?
Thanks a lot JAJ - V. helpful.

I'll be going to Canada at the end of this year, at which point i should (touch-wood) have my ACCA done, dusted and my experience all signed off. By "admissable" to the United States, I guess my answer is no - I do not have a student visa or any other document which allows me to stay in the US in any status other than a visitor (Im a UK Citizen).
I am planning to look into the CGA, but my understanding is that the CPA holds higher prestige in Canada...am I correct? My understanding is that CGA is a second-rate qualification, much like how the ACCA is second tier to the ACA here in the UK? That's why I thought that I should look into CPA. It looks as though Colorado may be my best bet judging by what you've said above...

cheers!
Old Mar 29th 2008, 3:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Checkmate
I'll be going to Canada at the end of this year, at which point i should (touch-wood) have my ACCA done, dusted and my experience all signed off. By "admissable" to the United States, I guess my answer is no - I do not have a student visa or any other document which allows me to stay in the US in any status other than a visitor (Im a UK Citizen).
You can sit the CPA exam as a visitor - are you admissible to the U.S. in that capacity?

I am planning to look into the CGA, but my understanding is that the CPA holds higher prestige in Canada...am I correct? My understanding is that CGA is a second-rate qualification, much like how the ACCA is second tier to the ACA here in the UK? That's why I thought that I should look into CPA. It looks as though Colorado may be my best bet judging by what you've said above...
The status of CGA in Canada is similar to that of ACCA in the U.K.
However, I would recommend obtaining both CGA (under mutual recognition) as well as U.S. CPA.

Have you got a university degree?

You will need to investigate thoroughly the different U.S. state education and experience requirements to become a CPA - these are required in addition to the CPA exam and do vary from one state to another.