Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

TIPS to GET Accountant JOB in Australia

TIPS to GET Accountant JOB in Australia

Old Jun 4th 2009, 11:30 am
You will be mine in Hell.

Hellboy663 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: TIPS to GET Accountant JOB in Australia

Originally Posted by venkie
hi there,
i agree with Shiva we aren't paid very here.and mostly all of us no doubt looking for better prospects .......aren't we.
Please share your timelines so that we all look forward to meet in oz and have a nice effective net work which is mutually beneficial.

with regards,
venkie.

Best of luck to all of us..
You will be landing in Melbourne won't you? Melbourne currently have some job openings and though the market is soft now, things might pick up by the end of this year and most accountants do well for themselves here after about a couple of years. So when it comes to prospects there is a lot of it here but it also depends on the individual to work hard and make things happen for himself. I'm in NSW. You could pm me when you intend to come over.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

helloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant future

hi there,
i agree with Shiva we aren't paid very here.and mostly all of us no doubt looking for better prospects .......aren't we.
Please share your timelines so that we all look forward to meet in oz and have a nice effective net work which is mutually beneficial.

with regards,
venkie.

Best of luck to all of us..
Thanks a lot mates. I may get VISA in next 2-3 months. I am having comfortable job here in Zambia. But dont like to work long in Africa(tired of Safari now & staying behind the doors always kills).

May be in early 2010. By the way I am on your work. Still there is enough time we can share lot of Info.

Mean while u may get some exposure in MYOB & Quick Books( Trial version available in web) Let me know any difficulties

Pastel & great plains ( I dont have Idea about Trail version onthis ( It might useful in job hunting
Old Jun 4th 2009, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

helloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Hellboy663
You will be landing in Melbourne won't you? Melbourne currently have some job openings and though the market is soft now, things might pick up by the end of this year and most accountants do well for themselves here after about a couple of years. So when it comes to prospects there is a lot of it here but it also depends on the individual to work hard and make things happen for himself. I'm in NSW. You could pm me when you intend to come over.
Rightly said. May be need to compromise bit down in position and getting local exposure might help lot later in the path.

I know this question is bit general and includes loads of factor. Me and my wife both are accountants ( Can we make it savings of 35K in year exclsuive of all expenses like tax,insurance, housing etc..)

Might be after fewer hadrships both may get positions like Acc receivable/Payable/ Accountant etc.. even if not possible getting some odd jobs

Just a opinion plz. Just I am thinking whether its worth to migrate. Gross is always green in other side it should not happened to me.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

DPD83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi shiva,
I am venkatesh jaiswal from India, got my PR landing in Melbourne on july21st,
will please guide me with some local agents and some sample CVs presentable in Australian market.

Bye the way i am Chartered accountant, please suggest on the market.

with regards,
venkatesh
Hi venkie,
As per my knowledge Hays,Robert half,hudson and micheal page are the best. You can just contact them in advance before you come but still most of them prefer you to be in the country when applyn.
I'm in melb right now and as per my experience so far the job market here is not that good (the so called recession even though the politicians say that Aus has escaped frm it) AlospPresenting the CV in a nicer way matters a lot here.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jun 27th 2009 at 2:52 am. Reason: Do not post your email address on the open forum, use the pm facility
Old Jun 5th 2009, 4:56 am
Just Joined

venkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DPD83
Hi venkie,
As per my knowledge Hays,Robert half,hudson and micheal page are the best. You can just contact them in advance before you come but still most of them prefer you to be in the country when applyn.
I'm in melb right now and as per my experience so far the job market here is not that good (the so called recession even though the politicians say that Aus has escaped frm it) AlospPresenting the CV in a nicer way matters a lot here.
Hi DPD83,
thanx a lot for your reply hope its also helpful for other members of the forum.I am landing on 21st of july. If you could just let me know your where abouts in Mel i would like to see you in person as well.

I will keep yr advice in mind.
Regards
Old Jun 5th 2009, 4:58 am
Just Joined

venkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hellboy663
Hi Hellboy

Thanx for the info, i would certainly like to visit NSW sometime, once i get some job in mel. and settle a bit.

regards,
Old Jun 7th 2009, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by helloshivahere
Rightly said. May be need to compromise bit down in position and getting local exposure might help lot later in the path.

I know this question is bit general and includes loads of factor. Me and my wife both are accountants ( Can we make it savings of 35K in year exclsuive of all expenses like tax,insurance, housing etc..)

Well, this question of yours is a little difficult to answer. It all depends on the state that you intend to settle in (places like Melbourne or Brisbane are relatively cheaper as compared to Sydney), your kind of lifestyle, your committments, whether you have kids or otherwise and if you do, whether you intend to send them to private school or public, whether you are paying mortage for a house and the amount depending on the cost of house and the state and suburb its in, the amount of cash that you're bringing over etc. I can however state that among the accountants I know of who have migrated are doing very well for themselves driving good cars and having purchased nice houses after being around for about 2-3 years. One may face initial hurdles in securing a role for the lack of local qualifications or local experience but the important thing is to be persistent, have the will to work hard, upgrade yourself and most importantly, build up your network. These are the things that see people through.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for Info. My Intention is to settle in WA - Perth only since I am SS applicant.

I know present situation is not so good but hope things will improve soon. I just bit worried its big move from a good earning source in Africa. But life is not so good as expected.

Let c how it goes

Last edited by helloshivahere; Jun 7th 2009 at 2:33 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 3:36 am
Just Joined

Hi DPD83,
thanx a lot for your reply hope its also helpful for other members of the forum.I am landing on 21st of july. If you could just let me know your where abouts in Mel i would like to see you in person as well.

I will keep yr advice in mind.
Regards
Hi Venkie,
I migrated here very recently and in Victoria. Let me know your email addy so that I can contact you. But unfortunately I'm still struggling to find a job too. I hope you guys will not face that situation if you already have the membership of a professional institute and if you have lot of experience in the industry. My case is a bit different to that. I came under spouse visa soon after my marriage and I have only 3years work experience out of which some are relating to Finance. So I still need to gain more experience to obtain my CIMA membership. Just in case I don’t find a job here ( at least a volantary one) I'm planning to go back to Sri Lanka to work, gain more experience for my membership.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Ramzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant future

Hi Venkie,
I migrated here very recently and in Victoria. Let me know your email addy so that I can contact you. But unfortunately I'm still struggling to find a job too. I hope you guys will not face that situation if you already have the membership of a professional institute and if you have lot of experience in the industry. My case is a bit different to that. I came under spouse visa soon after my marriage and I have only 3years work experience out of which some are relating to Finance. So I still need to gain more experience to obtain my CIMA membership. Just in case I don’t find a job here ( at least a volantary one) I'm planning to go back to Sri Lanka to work, gain more experience for my membership.
Hi DPD,

Are u from Sri Lanka? Me too... I am also a qualified accountant and hoping for visa very soon since all my docs are marked as 'met' in the online status..So hw long has it been since you moved and has it been very difficult to find a job? I am planning to undertake CPA programme from SL and i think that you also can start doing the same..(think you are a passed finalist in CIMA..

Regards,
Ramani.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 12:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ramzi
Hi DPD,

Are u from Sri Lanka? Me too... I am also a qualified accountant and hoping for visa very soon since all my docs are marked as 'met' in the online status..So hw long has it been since you moved and has it been very difficult to find a job? I am planning to undertake CPA programme from SL and i think that you also can start doing the same..(think you are a passed finalist in CIMA..

Regards,
Ramani.
Yep I'm from Sri Lanka too. I even considered doing a CPA subject but cant spend more months on that ( what if i still fail to find 1 even after doing CPA). All I want is to get my cima membership by working another year in the feild and get CPA too as per the new agreement. And the other thing is CIMA is gaining/already has gained itz recognition by this new agreement. I came here in Feb.Started looking for jobs since march and up to now have tried all the possible methods. I personaly dont belv of job agencies and specialy their way of selection.MAy be this is not the right time for me. And hope i will regain my confidence by working some more time in SL as the employers there always value the qualifications and capabilities of us unlike the employers n job agencies here.btw what ATO course u r undertaking?Send me the link if possible.thx.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

Ramzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant future

Yep I'm from Sri Lanka too. I even considered doing a CPA subject but cant spend more months on that ( what if i still fail to find 1 even after doing CPA). All I want is to get my cima membership by working another year in the feild and get CPA too as per the new agreement. And the other thing is CIMA is gaining/already has gained itz recognition by this new agreement. I came here in Feb.Started looking for jobs since march and up to now have tried all the possible methods. I personaly dont belv of job agencies and specialy their way of selection.MAy be this is not the right time for me. And hope i will regain my confidence by working some more time in SL as the employers there always value the qualifications and capabilities of us unlike the employers n job agencies here.btw what ATO course u r undertaking?Send me the link if possible.thx.
Hi DPD,

really sorry to hear this and how many interviews have you faced up to now and haven't any of them got back to you with any reply.. I have few friends who found work there recently..Have they given you any reason as to why they did not consider you?? not adequate experience or anything? I have 7 years of experience,3yrs in external auditing and 4 years as an accountant. but i also woner now whether i will able to find a job there...

What one of my friends told was that still there are vacancies for accountants but due to redundancies the competition for jobs have gone up. Therefore the employers prefer the experienced (i think australian experience) people than us. I sthis the case that you understood?? will hv think bit more befor i make my move then coz I have a very good job here and if i move I have a kid also to take care of...

Yes, your best way of doing it is to get the CIMA membership and then get CPA status through their MRA.

I am palnning to do OTA foundation exam in this October through distance learning. please see the attached link and closing date for October exams are over now (16th June) but late enrollment closing date is 23rd June and you will have to pay extra $100 if you apply after 16th June. Let me know if you require any more information with regard to this...

http://sep.taxinstitute.com.au/index...BA92C8CB612242

BTW are you staying there in your own (not with a friend or a family)?? If so or otherwise how much have you spent up to now without a job? sorry just want to see how it goes before i loose all my savings....

Regards
Ramani.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi DPD,

really sorry to hear this and how many interviews have you faced up to now and haven't any of them got back to you with any reply.. I have few friends who found work there recently..Have they given you any reason as to why they did not consider you?? not adequate experience or anything? I have 7 years of experience,3yrs in external auditing and 4 years as an accountant. but i also woner now whether i will able to find a job there...

What one of my friends told was that still there are vacancies for accountants but due to redundancies the competition for jobs have gone up. Therefore the employers prefer the experienced (i think australian experience) people than us. I sthis the case that you understood?? will hv think bit more befor i make my move then coz I have a very good job here and if i move I have a kid also to take care of...

Yes, your best way of doing it is to get the CIMA membership and then get CPA status through their MRA.

I am palnning to do OTA foundation exam in this October through distance learning. please see the attached link and closing date for October exams are over now (16th June) but late enrollment closing date is 23rd June and you will have to pay extra $100 if you apply after 16th June. Let me know if you require any more information with regard to this...

http://sep.taxinstitute.com.au/index...BA92C8CB612242

BTW are you staying there in your own (not with a friend or a family)?? If so or otherwise how much have you spent up to now without a job? sorry just want to see how it goes before i loose all my savings....

Regards
Ramani.
Hi Ramzi is it accredited by any Australian Accounting bodies ? Please some more info on this
Old Jun 19th 2009, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

annamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by helloshivahere
Hi Ramzi is it accredited by any Australian Accounting bodies ? Please some more info on this
Hi guys
I'm an accountant moving to Melbourne, was planning on going over in October but what's the general consensus for waiting and perhaps things picking up over there a few months later?
Old Jun 20th 2009, 1:18 am

Hi DPD,

Regards
Ramani.
The trouble is, its recession now so there are fewer jobs. Out of the every 10 job ads that you see, 5 of them may not be genuine jobs. They may be advertised by consultants just to test the market and generate candidates. 2 out of the other 5 may have cases where the employer would like to recruit someone from within the company itself but still goes through the motion of advertising just to show their management that they "could not get any outside candidate". The other 2 might have a case where the employer might decide to change his/her mind about recruiting a staff after advertising. That leaves with only 1 geniune vacancy for every 10 ads and at this time, due to the huge number of good people having been retrenched and looking for a job, youll have about 180-200 applications for an average job. In this case therefore, even people with good local qualifications and local experience find it an uphill task in looking for a job. So it is perfectly understandable if one has problems in getting a job now. There are talks however that the Oz economy might pick up at the end of this year or next year and in such a case, there will surely be more opportunities coming up. The only way is to go on trying and not get demotivated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.