Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Newly qualified ACA, where to go!

Newly qualified ACA, where to go!

Old Jul 9th 2011, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

hydrographer2004 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newly qualified ACA, where to go!

Hi there,

I am now exam qualified and will be out of my training contract 2012.

My boyfriend and i are looking to move away for 2/3 years maybe longer.

The countries we have been looking into are:
Oz
Canada
US
South africa
Carribean etc

Essentially english speaking countries

We've looked at the visa processes for each country and are at a bit of a loss of which will accept accountants (He's a web designer) and the time and cost of getting the visas.

From looking at it the easiest one to get to seems canada but accountants are no longer on the occupations list. Having travelled around oz we were initially applying there however don't really want to wait 5 years and spend £1000's to get the visa.

The last ditch option is get a working holiday visa but im well aware that the chance of us getting profesisonal work is limited.

Any help of quickets/cheapest visa systems and your experiences/advice would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks for your advice in advance
Old Jul 10th 2011, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newly qualified ACA, where to go!

Little to no chance of getting to the US independently, to get there you would need to get a job with a multinational in the UK and then seek a transfer.

You could keep watching the Canada list to see if accountant comes back on.

No idea why you think it would take five years to get Australia, took me 7 months and cost £2k. You are probably going to have to pay for any visa.

I believe you would need a job offer to get to anywhere in the Caribbean, if you are with one of the big four you could look for a transfer, lots of people came to Bermuda that way when I lived there.

The WHV is an option and you never know you might get luckly. Personally I would not employ someone on a WHV, however I have seen job adverts not that long ago on www.seek.com.au which specifically stated that WHV applicants were welcome.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

hydrographer2004 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newly qualified ACA, where to go!

yeah i noticed that us was impossible, may wait until next year to see if accountant goes back on the list.

Was looking at New zealand yesterday and accountants were on the long term list and the short term list so that seems a possibility.

If it took you 7 months for australia not sure why i thought it took years... was looking on the australian immigration web site yesterday and it said the fees were like $2000 and then $4000 for the skilled worker visa.

I went travelling around australia and really enjoyed it - just seems rarther steep for a visa.

Starting to panic because want to get it all sorted now so can just go, but its all so confusing!