Jobs for ACCA in Australia

Old Apr 3rd 2007, 1:54 am
You will be mine in Hell.

Hellboy663 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Jobs for ACCA in Australia

Originally Posted by JAJ
You need to check the rules of the state board. Most state boards look for a grade of 90, but the exam is generally open book (and not done under exam conditions).

If you're doing the AICPA ethics course, you should know that it's geared for both general CPD and state board requirements (different pass marks) so make sure you select the right test otherwise it will not be accepted by the state board.

Some state boards (eg California) have very specific ethics requirements and only accept particular tests so if you don't get a Colorado license and have to transfer credit, you may need to re-do this.
Thanks Jeremy.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 3:41 am

Hi again Jeremy:

Seems like CO board has just changed the ruling requiring a person applying for license to be a US citizen or be lawfully present in the US.
The relevant details could be found here:

http://www.dora.state.co.us/accountants/

There is no way that I could go and stay in the US, as I'm neither a US citizen, PR nor have any rights to work in the US. I do not want my efforts at getting the US CPA going to waste. Now I'm not sure if I could apply for CO license while being a foreigner. Do you think there is any way around this? Are there any other states I could apply to? My ACCA has been assessed by evaluators (Josef Silny and Associates) as being equivalent to a US bachelor's degree.

Thanks.

Last edited by Hellboy663; Apr 4th 2007 at 3:48 am.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:17 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hellboy663
Hi again Jeremy:

Seems like CO board has just changed the ruling requiring a person applying for license to be a US citizen or be lawfully present in the US.
Do you mean this affadavit:
http://www.dora.state.co.us/registra...ligibility.pdf

It appears that those not in the U.S. are exempt and fall under section 3b. Colorado seems to have implemented a federal law restricting the issuance of professional licenses to those illegally in the U.S.

But the law is drafted in such a way as not to affect those not physically in the United States. See the Federal law which Colorado's law refers to:
http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/08C14.txt

"Sec. 1621. Aliens who are not qualified aliens or nonimmigrants ineligible for State and local public benefits ....

(2) Such term shall not apply - ....
(C) to the issuance of a professional license to, or the renewal of a professional license by, a foreign national not physically present in the United States."
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:25 am

Thanks Jeremy.

Quite a relief. I was having butterflies in my stomach for a while. I understand their intentions to prevent the issuance of license to some of the illegals and overstayers. Makes perfect sense of not allowing them. Maybe other states could also follow this ruling.

I thought I had to be physically in the US for the license. I don't intend to be in the US for long. I'm just here on temp visa. I'm already making plans to go back to Singapore next week and tender my resignation so that I can move to Australia in May'07.

Thanks again.
Old May 29th 2007, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Victor1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
You need to check the rules of the state board. Most state boards look for a grade of 90, but the exam is generally open book (and not done under exam conditions).

If you're doing the AICPA ethics course, you should know that it's geared for both general CPD and state board requirements (different pass marks) so make sure you select the right test otherwise it will not be accepted by the state board.

Some state boards (eg California) have very specific ethics requirements and only accept particular tests so if you don't get a Colorado license and have to transfer credit, you may need to re-do this.
Hi,

I have a masters's degree in commerce(Major subjects-Accounts/Economics/Business Management/International Trade) from India(10+2+3+2 years of education) + 8 years working experience in middle east as accounting manager + CMA (IMA-USA)+ 1.5 years of articleship under a practicing CA in India. Now I am planning to go for higher studies either in ACCA or CPA. I am 32 and I am planning to migrate to australia in a year or two. I have few questions-

1) CPA OR ACCA- Which one is better and why?
2) Considering my above qualifications- what pay package I can get in Australia?
3) What is the value of CPA (USA or Aus) in UK or other European countries?
4) What is the difference in CPA(US) and CPA(AUS)?
5) For CPA(US), only for exams I have to go to USA and I can do my exam preparation at home. Does it same for CPA(AUS) also? Does my above qualification is enough to appear in CPA(AUS) exams or I have to pass any additional tests?
6) What is the value of CPA(AUS) in USA?

Thanks

Vic
Old May 29th 2007, 1:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor1975
Hi,

I have a masters's degree in commerce(Major subjects-Accounts/Economics/Business Management/International Trade) from India(10+2+3+2 years of education) + 8 years working experience in middle east as accounting manager + CMA (IMA-USA)+ 1.5 years of articleship under a practicing CA in India. Now I am planning to go for higher studies either in ACCA or CPA. I am 32 and I am planning to migrate to australia in a year or two. I have few questions-

1) CPA OR ACCA- Which one is better and why?
2) Considering my above qualifications- what pay package I can get in Australia?
3) What is the value of CPA (USA or Aus) in UK or other European countries?
4) What is the difference in CPA(US) and CPA(AUS)?
5) For CPA(US), only for exams I have to go to USA and I can do my exam preparation at home. Does it same for CPA(AUS) also? Does my above qualification is enough to appear in CPA(AUS) exams or I have to pass any additional tests?
6) What is the value of CPA(AUS) in USA?
1. U.S. CPA is generally more portable unless you were planning to live in the United Kingdom, where ACCA would open more doors.

2. Take a look at the Hays salary survey at http://www.hays.com.au
You'll obviously need a migration visa first.

3. Neither are recognised officially. Unofficially, US-CPA is worth more.

4. US-CPA is part of the Global Accounting Alliance, Australian CPA is not
http://www.globalaccountingalliance.com

5. The Australian CPA program is only offered in Australia or some SE Asian states, as far as I know. Check the rules at http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au
If your degree is equivalent to an Australian bachelors, then your CA will be accepted once you do Australian tax/law bridging studies.

Bear in mind that if you do US-CPA, and get your qualification from a state which offers a practising license (ie not just a certificate) then you have a good chance of becoming an Australian Chartered Accountant by mutual recognition.

6. Americans won't understand Australian CPA so on that basis it's worth very little in the U.S. There is some mutual recognition with AICPA/NASBA but many of those who have originally come from outside Australia don't get the benefit of this.
Old May 30th 2007, 9:13 am
Just Joined

Victor1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
1. U.S. CPA is generally more portable unless you were planning to live in the United Kingdom, where ACCA would open more doors.

2. Take a look at the Hays salary survey at http://www.hays.com.au
You'll obviously need a migration visa first.

3. Neither are recognised officially. Unofficially, US-CPA is worth more.

4. US-CPA is part of the Global Accounting Alliance, Australian CPA is not
http://www.globalaccountingalliance.com

5. The Australian CPA program is only offered in Australia or some SE Asian states, as far as I know. Check the rules at http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au
If your degree is equivalent to an Australian bachelors, then your CA will be accepted once you do Australian tax/law bridging studies.

Bear in mind that if you do US-CPA, and get your qualification from a state which offers a practising license (ie not just a certificate) then you have a good chance of becoming an Australian Chartered Accountant by mutual recognition.

6. Americans won't understand Australian CPA so on that basis it's worth very little in the U.S. There is some mutual recognition with AICPA/NASBA but many of those who have originally come from outside Australia don't get the benefit of this.
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your help. Few more queries-

1)CPA (US) can convert to CPA (AUS)? Can you give me a hint on Exemptions, Additional studies, Additional Work Exp?

2)CPA (US) can convert to CA (AUS)? Can you give me a hint on Exemptions, Additional studies, Additional Work Exp?

3)Demand of ACCA in other European countries?

4)CPA(US) or ACCA(UK) which one is more tough (for a working professional-60hours per week) in terms of study hours, study material etc

5)"If your degree is equivalent to an Australian bachelors, then your CA will be accepted once you do Australian tax/law bridging studies"- I need some clarifications.

a)From where can I check if my degree is equivalent to an Australian bachelors degree or not? What is the procedure?

b)Does it mean that if Australian authorities accept my degree as Australian bachelors degree, I only have to finish Australian tax/law studies to get my CA(AUS)

c)Here we are talking about my bachelors degree or masters degree?

Thanks

Vic
Old May 30th 2007, 2:24 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Victor1975
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your help. Few more queries-

1)CPA (US) can convert to CPA (AUS)? Can you give me a hint on Exemptions, Additional studies, Additional Work Exp?

2)CPA (US) can convert to CA (AUS)? Can you give me a hint on Exemptions, Additional studies, Additional Work Exp?

3)Demand of ACCA in other European countries?

4)CPA(US) or ACCA(UK) which one is more tough (for a working professional-60hours per week) in terms of study hours, study material etc

5)"If your degree is equivalent to an Australian bachelors, then your CA will be accepted once you do Australian tax/law bridging studies"- I need some clarifications.

a)From where can I check if my degree is equivalent to an Australian bachelors degree or not? What is the procedure?

b)Does it mean that if Australian authorities accept my degree as Australian bachelors degree, I only have to finish Australian tax/law studies to get my CA(AUS)

c)Here we are talking about my bachelors degree or masters degree?

Thanks

Vic
1 and 2. Use the websites http://www.icaa.org.au and http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au

3. Outside the Republic of Ireland probably not very high as the professional structure is different. If you are a citizen of an EEA state you can get recognition from the local equivalents.

4. The exams are totally different.

5. a. The AEI-NOOSR Country Education profile for your country.
b. NO!
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Cyrus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am going to do my CPA from Australia in Jan 08. I want to know about my prospects on returning to India with a CPA degree from Australia ?

Thanks.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 12:01 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Cyrus
Hi, I am going to do my CPA from Australia in Jan 08. I want to know about my prospects on returning to India with a CPA degree from Australia ?
What has that got to do with the thread title? You will get more responses if you start your own thread, not hijack another one.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:22 am
gak
Forum Regular

gak is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cyrus

Thanks.
It is not a very popular qualification in India. If you need a decent income, you need to be a memeber of Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI). ICAI do not recognize australian CPA. So, if you are planning to retrun to Inida, it is not worth the effort.

gak