Job prospects in Perth

Old Dec 10th 2005, 5:19 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Job prospects in Perth

For any beancounters coming to Perth this should ease your job fears.

I rang 5 agencies on Tuesday and they all wanted to see me asap, one even got me to meet up in the CBD that evening. I already have one interview lined up, 2 more to be arranged when the person is back in the state and several other hot irons in the fire. Admittedly I am Chartered with a very strong CV and experience in SAP and other systems which has helped a lot.

But when I told people what I was on in the UK but that I didn't expect to get anywhere near that out here they disagreed. Before I came out here I expected to get up to $70K+super. But they are saying $80K or more is very possible and that if I had some Australian companies on my CV I could be asking $100K+ with such strong systems experience.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 8:09 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job prospects in Perth

Originally Posted by worzel

I rang 5 agencies on Tuesday and they all wanted to see me asap, one even got me to meet up in the CBD that evening. I already have one interview lined up, 2 more to be arranged when the person is back in the state and several other hot irons in the fire. Admittedly I am Chartered with a very strong CV and experience in SAP and other systems which has helped a lot.

But when I told people what I was on in the UK but that I didn't expect to get anywhere near that out here they disagreed. Before I came out here I expected to get up to $70K+super. But they are saying $80K or more is very possible and that if I had some Australian companies on my CV I could be asking $100K+ with such strong systems experience.
Hi Worzel

Haven't been able to persuade my other half to contact any agencies yet - he kind of thinks he should get christmas out of the way first! We won't be stepping on your toes though as he will be looking for a job in Sydney.

Although CIMA qualified with 15+ years post grad experience he hasn't been employed in an "accounts" type role for the last 9 years approx. He moved on from basic payroll stuff to management information to managing the commissions team dealing with payments to partners (financial services), to managing relationships between outsourced service providers, to taking a risk management role and ad hoc project work etc etc. Do you reckon someone will employ him? I'm asking you because I only draw blank looks when I mention the word "WORK" to a certain someone!

Any thoughts?

Binbird - oh and good luck with securing the best job for you!
Old Dec 11th 2005, 10:41 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by binbird
Hi Worzel

Haven't been able to persuade my other half to contact any agencies yet - he kind of thinks he should get christmas out of the way first! We won't be stepping on your toes though as he will be looking for a job in Sydney.

Although CIMA qualified with 15+ years post grad experience he hasn't been employed in an "accounts" type role for the last 9 years approx. He moved on from basic payroll stuff to management information to managing the commissions team dealing with payments to partners (financial services), to managing relationships between outsourced service providers, to taking a risk management role and ad hoc project work etc etc. Do you reckon someone will employ him? I'm asking you because I only draw blank looks when I mention the word "WORK" to a certain someone!

Any thoughts?

Binbird - oh and good luck with securing the best job for you!
It all sounds familiar, not least the bit about being reluctant to find work

From what I have been told by the agencies (and interviews / job specs seem to back it up) having a speciality is a real bonus. I wouldn't say regular accountants are ten-a-penny but there aren't the acute shortages and employers may be more likely to recruit an Aussie for a role requiring local reporting rules / tax knowledge or managing lots of other Aussies. I would tell him to make contact with the agencies now safe in the knowledge he won't have to ruin his Xmas by working before then but having got the ball rolling to get stuck in after then new year.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

MarkO'G is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Job prospects in Perth

Hi Worzel,

Nice to hear the market is pretty buoyant and you've setled in well (I've read a few of your other posts). Hopefully, it will still be the same when we arrive, probably towards the back end of next year.

Are you going to take a contract role at first or stick it out for a permanant position? Is it like the UK, where the job market goes quiet in the summer? I was over in Perth a few years ago on a working holiday visa and ended up working on a contract role at Curtin University.

Keep us updated, the temptation at this time of year must be to put the work off a while longer and enjoy the summer. What was the Oasis gig like?

Good luck

Cheers

Mark
Old Dec 12th 2005, 9:10 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

It all sounds familiar, not least the bit about being reluctant to find work

From what I have been told by the agencies (and interviews / job specs seem to back it up) having a speciality is a real bonus. I wouldn't say regular accountants are ten-a-penny but there aren't the acute shortages and employers may be more likely to recruit an Aussie for a role requiring local reporting rules / tax knowledge or managing lots of other Aussies. I would tell him to make contact with the agencies now safe in the knowledge he won't have to ruin his Xmas by working before then but having got the ball rolling to get stuck in after then new year.
Thanks for that Worzel - I just need him back in work so I can fathom out where my next pair of shoes is coming from!

Binbird
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:00 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by MarkO'G
Hi Worzel,

Nice to hear the market is pretty buoyant and you've setled in well (I've read a few of your other posts). Hopefully, it will still be the same when we arrive, probably towards the back end of next year.

Are you going to take a contract role at first or stick it out for a permanant position? Is it like the UK, where the job market goes quiet in the summer? I was over in Perth a few years ago on a working holiday visa and ended up working on a contract role at Curtin University.

Keep us updated, the temptation at this time of year must be to put the work off a while longer and enjoy the summer. What was the Oasis gig like?

Good luck

Cheers

Mark
When we came back from our holiday down under 3 years ago I fell into a contract role. It was not something I was comfortable with at first but eventually realised it is nothing to be scared of. So for that reason; because I tend to do systems work which by its nature has an end point; and being the newby firms are more willing to take a punt on a pom as a contractor so I am expecting to do contract work initially.

In fact when agencies mention permanent work I am reluctant now as it makes me feel tied down and limits my chances to build networks / exposure to new businesses.

Curtin Uni would be ideal as it is only a mile or two away but I have discussed 10 roles recently and apart from one in Belmont the others are CBD. Half an hour on the train each way is fine as I can read my paper and do the crossword.

Oasis are a strange lot. We saw them in August at the V Festival too and they didn't seem to put their hearts into it either time. Like the Manic Street Preachers and Eminiem I have a lot of respect for them, like every song they do but struggle to listen to a whole album. Kaiser Chiefs and Foo Fighters were the stars for me but being cold and wet and having p1ssed up kids falling over me all the time put a little bit of a damper on the whole show, in more ways than one!
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:01 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by binbird
Thanks for that Worzel - I just need him back in work so I can fathom out where my next pair of shoes is coming from!

Binbird
Not disimilar to Sam. As well as the money she wants me out of the way so she can play Sims on the PC all day
Old Dec 17th 2005, 12:35 am
A former regular of BE

Just to repeat what I said on the Aussie Lifestyle forum. One interview = one job. It took 9 days from first contact with agencies to job offer and acceptance.
Old Dec 17th 2005, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of

Hiya,

Great to hear everything is going really well. We are hopefully on the plane in about 8 weeks, but heading Gold Coast way, hope they need Accountants with systems too

Judith
Old Dec 31st 2005, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

steve & Heather is a jewel in the roughsteve & Heather is a jewel in the roughsteve & Heather is a jewel in the roughsteve & Heather is a jewel in the rough

Hi Worzel

I have been looking through the various threads and would like some advice. I am currently submitting a visa application through an agent. I have noticed that some people have appiled to various areas for sponsership. i.e. Western Australia, Southern Australia. Is the the best way ahaed or do I just continue with the general visa application?

my assessment is now back and accepted.

We are looking to move to Perth but open to anywhere in that area.

heather