Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Job descriptions, cv's and references for application

Job descriptions, cv's and references for application

Old Aug 12th 2005, 9:09 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Job descriptions, cv's and references for application

Here is some advice I have had from my agent a few months ago for those of you who are accountants by profession but have been working outside of the purer accounting roles.

Case Officers are clerks who have little knowledge of what accountants do. Most people think of an accountant as someone who prepares / audits accounts for an accountancy firm whereas many of us work in industry / public sector doing systems work / treasury / analysis / financial control etc.

The first thing to try and achieve is a job title with "Accountant" in it. Not always possible but may be easier for a contractor. If the CO sees that they will probably look no further.

Failing that they will read your job description (provided with references) and compare that to the ASCO definition (see other thread). So:

*try and mirror the phrases used therein
*stress the purer accounting parts of your role (but don't lie) and list them first
*try and ensure your reference / job title / cv line up as far as possible.

It worked for me!
Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:13 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of
Default Re: Job descriptions, cv's and references for application

Originally Posted by worzel
Here is some advice I have had from my agent a few months ago for those of you who are accountants by profession but have been working outside of the purer accounting roles.

Case Officers are clerks who have little knowledge of what accountants do. Most people think of an accountant as someone who prepares / audits accounts for an accountancy firm whereas many of us work in industry / public sector doing systems work / treasury / analysis / financial control etc.

The first thing to try and achieve is a job title with "Accountant" in it. Not always possible but may be easier for a contractor. If the CO sees that they will probably look no further.

Failing that they will read your job description (provided with references) and compare that to the ASCO definition (see other thread). So:

*try and mirror the phrases used therein
*stress the purer accounting parts of your role (but don't lie) and list them first
*try and ensure your reference / job title / cv line up as far as possible.

It worked for me!
Was just about to say that my agent gave me the same advice then remembered we had the same agent!

But it is very good advice and it also worked for me.