Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

ICAA Skills Assessment Questions

ICAA Skills Assessment Questions

Old Mar 24th 2010, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

travellin_canuck is an unknown quantity at this point
Question ICAA Skills Assessment Questions

Hello all,

I realize that this is a British Expats forum - but I'm hoping some Canadians might be lurking - or maybe someone who has gone through the ICAA Migration Skills Assessment process might be able to help.

I am currently getting my documentation together for the ICAA Migration Skills Assessment. I will be having my Chartered Accountant designation from Canada assessed. I had a couple of questions about required documents that I posed to ICAA; however, their response didn’t exactly provide the requested clarification, so I’m hoping someone out there has done the process and can offer advice/suggestions.

1. Required: Examination results/mark sheets (certified copy) (including corresponding paper names) - (SAICA members are exempt from this requirement)

In Canada we complete the UFE (Uniform Evaluation) in order to qualify for a CA and it is pass/fail – there are no marks given. I have a diploma/certificate that indicates that I passed the exam; however, the response from the ICAA was that this was not sufficient and that “evidence of results are required as stated”. Okay – so what is that evidence? Do I request a letter from my Institute indicating that I successfully passed the exam?

2. Required: (a) Current CV or brief employment history (certified copy)
(b) Letter(s) of reference from employer(s) (certified copy) (members of MICPA only) - The letter(s) should detail the position held, tasks performed, start and finish dates and should indicate whether you were employed full or part-time.

I didn’t understand why I couldn’t just provide my current CV and why a copy needed to be certified. Their response indicated that it wasn’t the actual CV that needed to be certified, but the documentation supporting the CV, e.g. letters of reference. Does this mean that although it says letters of reference are only required from members of the Malaysian Institute, I need to get them regardless to support my listed work experience?

3. Expiration dates. I didn’t ask about this one, but now that I’m realizing that it’s going to be more difficult than I thought to get the documentation together – do things expire? I’ve seen through my research that the actual skills assessment is good for 5 years, and I believe IELTS results are good for 1 when it comes to the actual application for a visa – but what about the supporting documentation? If I get letters of reference from my various employers and one is dated March and another one in May – is that going to cause problems?

Sorry for the wordiness – any help will be GREATLY appreciated!
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ICAA Skills Assessment Questions

I did my ICAA skills assessment this time last year, I am not Canadian though.

I sent the following:

Membership certificate

Letter of good standing

Listing of modules / subjects studied - this was quite hard to get as I finished my exams in 1995, the syllabus has changed since and the system had kind of overwritten some information in the old syllabus format. From memory it said pass each subject but did not give actual results.

I sent a CV, although I had an agent at this point and I am not sure if they actually used it or whether that was just the agent.

I definitely DID NOT send employer references for ICAA skills assessment.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 2:30 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I would expect that ICAA would understand how the UFE works. If they don't, get a letter from CICA or your provincial institute/ordre explaining the nature of the results.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 11:36 am
Just Joined

travellin_canuck is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much for the replies! I have gathered up all of the required documents for my skills assessment but I just realized that it is ONLY Accountant (ASCO Code 2211-11) that is considered to be on the CSL with 7.0+ IELTS results, not the other accountant codes. I am currently an external auditor with a Big 4 and have been since I graduated uni. If I apply to be assessed as Accountant 2211-11, are they likely to assess me as an External Auditor anyway?

I REALLY don't want to be an external auditor anymore but it is required by my current US work visa, so I can't change jobs just to have my skills assessed. I had been considering applying for a 175 and then going to Oz on a WHV to get some much needed Oz work experience with contract/temp work...but maybe I will need to do that before even getting my skills assessed if I want to obtain a visa in a reasonable amount of time
Old Apr 7th 2010, 1:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by travellin_canuck
Thanks so much for the replies! I have gathered up all of the required documents for my skills assessment but I just realized that it is ONLY Accountant (ASCO Code 2211-11) that is considered to be on the CSL with 7.0+ IELTS results, not the other accountant codes. I am currently an external auditor with a Big 4 and have been since I graduated uni. If I apply to be assessed as Accountant 2211-11, are they likely to assess me as an External Auditor anyway?
The ICAA requirements for the two occupations are exactly the same and if you apply for 2211-11, they will assess you as 2211-11.

Work experience is a different issue, will be assessed by DIAC if/when you apply for migration. Also note that rules for migration are changing constantly.