ICAA or CPA

Old May 30th 2006, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

HOSM has much to be proud ofHOSM has much to be proud ofHOSM has much to be proud ofHOSM has much to be proud ofHOSM has much to be proud ofHOSM has much to be proud ofHOSM has much to be proud ofHOSM has much to be proud ofHOSM has much to be proud ofHOSM has much to be proud ofHOSM has much to be proud of
Default ICAA or CPA

Hiya

I'm hoping someone can help me as I'm a little confused! (doesn't take much!)

I am ACCA qualified and have had my skills assessed by the NIA and my visa app is in.

What I would like to know, is what is the best way for me to convert my qualifications to the Australian equivalent?

I am quite keen to do the combined Australian Tax and Law paper but would need a letter from one of the above to say that the course is acceptable as the University of Queensland do not recognise ACCA.

If anyone could shed some light for me that would be great!
Thanks
Jill
Old May 30th 2006, 11:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ICAA or CPA

Originally Posted by HOSM
Hiya

I'm hoping someone can help me as I'm a little confused! (doesn't take much!)

I am ACCA qualified and have had my skills assessed by the NIA and my visa app is in.

What I would like to know, is what is the best way for me to convert my qualifications to the Australian equivalent?

I am quite keen to do the combined Australian Tax and Law paper but would need a letter from one of the above to say that the course is acceptable as the University of Queensland do not recognise ACCA.

Have you asked if they will accept your NIA skill assessment? NIA is a NOOSR skill assessment body since 2002.

However you also need to check that the course is accredited by the professional body you want to join. ICAA is more prestigious than CPAA so if you're going to have to re-do the final stage of your qualification, it should normally be your first choice.

You may be able to get the PNA designation from NIA by mutual recognition (ask NIA). PNA is not nearly as well recognised as CA or CPA but since 2005 the entry standard is the same, so it will likely "increase" in reputation over the next 10-15 years.
Old May 31st 2006, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

HOSM has much to be proud ofHOSM has much to be proud ofHOSM has much to be proud ofHOSM has much to be proud ofHOSM has much to be proud ofHOSM has much to be proud ofHOSM has much to be proud ofHOSM has much to be proud ofHOSM has much to be proud ofHOSM has much to be proud ofHOSM has much to be proud of

Thanks for your reply. Its confusing with all these different bodies! I can PNA from NIA but have been put off by people saying that CA/CPA is far more prestigeous. Do you know if I would have to re-do the entire final stage or just take the additional Australian Tax and Law papers? Not sure if I could go through all that again!
Old May 31st 2006, 12:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

. Do you know if I would have to re-do the entire final stage or just take the additional Australian Tax and Law papers? Not sure if I could go through all that again!

For CA or CPA you would have to re-do the final stage and complete mentored work experience, ACCA is only partially recognised in Australia, sorry.
Old May 31st 2006, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

Hi

ACCA is an internationally recognised qualification and you should not have much difficulty securing a permanent position in Australia. I work for a recuitment agency in the UK (based in Harrogate near York) and have found positions for South African and Australian nationals with the UK-equivalent quals who have not needed to 'convert' their qualification to the UK-equivalent. If you need more info the best thing to do is to contact one of my colleagues in Austrlais. Try Rob Emsley who is based in Sydney - you can find them on the web at www.hays.com and click on Australia - from memory his e-mail is [email protected].

Hope this helps
Wayne
Old Jun 1st 2006, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Thanks very much for your reply Wayne, its definately calmed me down a little! Was beginning to think that I spent how ever long completing my ACCA, which I always understood was internationally recognised, for it too now not mean a lot and I'd struggle to get a job with it over in Australia!

Crazy I know but with so much other stuff going on and the waiting for a visa, I think my minds gone a little hay wire!! Thanks again for your reply Wayne.

Hope this helps
Wayne[/QUOTE]
Old Jun 1st 2006, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

Thanks very much for your reply Wayne, its definately calmed me down a little! Was beginning to think that I spent how ever long completing my ACCA, which I always understood was internationally recognised, for it too now not mean a lot and I'd struggle to get a job with it over in Australia!

Crazy I know but with so much other stuff going on and the waiting for a visa, I think my minds gone a little hay wire!! Thanks again for your reply Wayne.

Hope this helps
Wayne
[/QUOTE]

No problem - hope the move goes well. I'm going to NZ in August and it's not easy but I think a move is worth it. It's easy to worry but if you're committed it should work out! All the best...
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Hafan is on a distinguished road

Hope this helps
Wayne
[/QUOTE]

I'm ACCA qualified and am doing the combined Tax and Law paper at The university of Southern Queeensland - you can do it if you state on the application form that you are aware that ACCA is not recognised for the CPA/CA conversion.
I don't intend to convert to cpa/ca but state that I am ACCA qualified and have passed the exams in Tax and Law through the university. This seem good enough for most employers...
good luck
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

I'm ACCA qualified and am doing the combined Tax and Law paper at The university of Southern Queeensland - you can do it if you state on the application form that you are aware that ACCA is not recognised for the CPA/CA conversion.
I don't intend to convert to cpa/ca but state that I am ACCA qualified and have passed the exams in Tax and Law through the university. This seem good enough for most employers...
good luck[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply, theres definately plenty for me too think about! I think for now I will just focus on waiting for my visa!
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 3:28 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Hafan
good luck

ICAA will recognise ACCA as at least equivalent to a bachelors degree and hence enough to enter the CA Program, if you do the tax/law conversion.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of

Hi there, I'm ACMA and am doing the Combined Tax & Law at USQ having been advised by the ICAA that this would suffice (along with a auditing paper), for entry to the CA Program. It then looks like another 3 years of mentoring and study to get the ICAA qualification.

I have to say at the moment I can't see how another 3 years study will benefit me as all the position I applied for recognised CIMA and the only issue was the tax & law which to be honest I wanted to study to fully understand the impact in my career.

I was offered all jobs bar one I applied for (Gold Coast & Brisbane), so I don;t think CIMA will go against me, I'll just have to see how it all fits in. Also I now have a young family as well, which I didn't have in the long long days agao of studying CIMA.

Good luck in whatever you choose.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 4:18 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by sonictigger
Hi there, I'm ACMA and am doing the Combined Tax & Law at USQ having been advised by the ICAA that this would suffice (along with a auditing paper), for entry to the CA Program. It then looks like another 3 years of mentoring and study to get the ICAA qualification.
It should not take 3 years to pass the CA Program, you probably only have 3 or 4 papers to pass. You might need 3 years work experience, another issue.

The CA Program is only the final stage of the qualification, most of the overall qualification program is subsumed into a bachelors degree, which you're already given credit for.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 4:34 am
bru
Forum Regular

bru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JAJ
It should not take 3 years to pass the CA Program, you probably only have 3 or 4 papers to pass. You might need 3 years work experience, another issue.

The CA Program is only the final stage of the qualification, most of the overall qualification program is subsumed into a bachelors degree, which you're already given credit for.

JAJ,
Do you know how many papers and timeframe needed for a Member of NIA to complete the CA program?
Thanks
Old Jun 8th 2006, 5:01 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by bru
JAJ,
Do you know how many papers and timeframe needed for a Member of NIA to complete the CA program?
Thanks
First step is to look at the ICAA website: http://www.icaa.org.au
Old Jun 8th 2006, 6:25 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sonictigger

I have to say at the moment I can't see how another 3 years study will benefit me as all the position I applied for recognised CIMA and the only issue was the tax & law which to be honest I wanted to study to fully understand the impact in my career.

I was offered all jobs bar one I applied for (Gold Coast & Brisbane), so I don;t think CIMA will go against me, I'll just have to see how it all fits in. Also I now have a young family as well, which I didn't have in the long long days agao of studying CIMA.

Good luck in whatever you choose.
Can you let me have details of the USQ course please? I must be perverse but I actually enjoy Tax and Law!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.