Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

HELP NEEDED! USA ACA or something else??

HELP NEEDED! USA ACA or something else??

Old Apr 19th 2013, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

lampez is an unknown quantity at this point
Question HELP NEEDED! USA ACA or something else??

Hi. nearly 2 years after I graduated from The University of York and so far failing to get a job on a ACA/CTA scheme and I'm stuck for options of where to go next. My main goal is to live in California. I did a study abroad year at UCSD as part of my degree and fell in love! Luckily my partner has the same goal, but I'm really struggling to think of how best to make the dream a reality.

My degree is in Economics and I'm interested in Tax and Accountancy, but at this point I would be happy to pursue any career that would get me to America. It's more important to me to be living over there in a decently paid job that I can challenge myself in than it is to work in any specific sector.

So really my question is: should I start to self fund the ACA with the hope that I then get a job in this area and get to America, or is there a better idea that I've not thought of??

Any advice is appreciated because I'm really stumped!

ps. my partner is a British citizen and not American (unfortunately) and works in recruitment (which we are hoping is pretty transferable)
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

JOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really nice
Default Re: HELP NEEDED! USA ACA or something else??

If I were you I would do the CA, get some decent experience then relocate.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

do you have any idea as to how difficult it is to get into the Us even with a good qualfication? Accountants are two a penny in the US and your chances of getting a sponsor are about nil. Your best bet would be to get the ACA with a big outfit, then see if you can get say a two year transfer to the US office and take it from there. The only reasonably "easy" way I know of is to go in on an L1 but you need to be in a managerial position for some time with the UK office before being accepted as being transferred to their US office.I dont know if the US still holds the regular lottery for green cards. Your chances of winning are slim, but is free, and you never know your luck.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lampez
Hi. nearly 2 years after I graduated from The University of York and so far failing to get a job on a ACA/CTA scheme and I'm stuck for options of where to go next. My main goal is to live in California. I did a study abroad year at UCSD as part of my degree and fell in love! Luckily my partner has the same goal, but I'm really struggling to think of how best to make the dream a reality.

My degree is in Economics and I'm interested in Tax and Accountancy, but at this point I would be happy to pursue any career that would get me to America. It's more important to me to be living over there in a decently paid job that I can challenge myself in than it is to work in any specific sector.

So really my question is: should I start to self fund the ACA with the hope that I then get a job in this area and get to America, or is there a better idea that I've not thought of??

Any advice is appreciated because I'm really stumped!

ps. my partner is a British citizen and not American (unfortunately) and works in recruitment (which we are hoping is pretty transferable)
Follow the career you want to follow. If you want to be an accountant then keep plugging away until you get your break.

It is incredibly hard to get into the US, it is probably where I would have wanted to go but I never quite made it. If you do pursue accountancy, then the only realistic way you would get to US is if you work for a multinational with a big US presence and you manage to wangle a transfer.

It is very unlikely that you are going to get there anytime soon, so get on with your life and your career and put this on a back burner.

If you were born in UK, you are not eligible for the US green card lottery.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 3:05 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts

If you were born in UK, you are not eligible for the US green card lottery.
If you are born in Great Britain you are not eligible, but you are eligible if you were born in Northern Ireland.