Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Finance qualifications to get to USA

Finance qualifications to get to USA

Old Oct 2nd 2012, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

lampez is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Finance qualifications to get to USA

Hi guys. I graduated with an Economics degree from a UK university last year and need some advice on finance qualifications that are transferable to the USA. I studied a year abroad in San Diego, CA during uni and me and my partner are desperate to move to California permanently ASAP (ideally 5 years or less). I'm interested in accountancy or finance related careers but am not set 100% (I don't want to waste years qualifying if it won't help me get to USA). Any advice on the best route to USA and transferable careers/qualifications??
Old Oct 4th 2012, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

JOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really nice
Angry Re: Finance qualifications to get to USA

Originally Posted by lampez
Hi guys. I graduated with an Economics degree from a UK university last year and need some advice on finance qualifications that are transferable to the USA. I studied a year abroad in San Diego, CA during uni and me and my partner are desperate to move to California permanently ASAP (ideally 5 years or less). I'm interested in accountancy or finance related careers but am not set 100% (I don't want to waste years qualifying if it won't help me get to USA). Any advice on the best route to USA and transferable careers/qualifications??
I think you need to determine what exactly you want to do - finance and accounting are very different.

Next is to get a job and work experience, qualifications are good, but real life experience is very crucial.

If by any chance you select a career in finance, then I would recommend CFA, it is an American qualification and considered the gold standard in investment management. Recognised everywhere and fairly inexpensive at about $3,000 for 3 levels. Check out www.cfainstitute.org.