Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

E3 for Financial Analyst & Tax related

E3 for Financial Analyst & Tax related

Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

neilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really nice
Default E3 for Financial Analyst & Tax related

Hi Guys,

I have done my Bcom and my Mcom (both in Accounting and Finance) and Currently doing my CIMA (Strategic Level). I am an Australian Citizen and currently wanting to know if I can get E3. I have worked for American Express (2yrs), CBA (2yrs) and for a UK bank here for almost a year.

I wanted to know if anyone from Finance profession has gone to the US recently and how to go about searching for jobs. If you can share some experience that will be really appreciated.

Also, the other question I have and I am a bit worried about this and will be a huge concern in taking up any job in US. I am married and have a mortgage here. If I move to US I will have to rent this property out. This will certainly mean -ve income i.e. my mortgage payments more than the rental income. Now if I were in Australia, this would mean a negative gearing and deductible from my salary income. But if I move to US, there will be outlay of around 1000-1300 AUD per month in negative. Add to that I will have to pay rent in the US. Does anyone know of tax concessions AU citizens get working in US? Can someone suggest ? I dont intend to sell my home a. becuase recently bought b. I will be coming back to AU.

It would be really appreciated if I hear your views.

Thanks in Advance.

Neil
Old Jul 4th 2008, 2:17 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E3 for Financial Analyst & Tax related

You've posted the same question in at least four different places - not a good idea to get sensible responses.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

neilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really nice

JAJ,

I have mentioned that I have posted the same on different thread. More so because I am new here and an getting around where to post it.

Sorry for that...
Old Jul 5th 2008, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

lastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nice

Originally Posted by neilk
Hi Guys,

I have done my Bcom and my Mcom (both in Accounting and Finance) and Currently doing my CIMA (Strategic Level). I am an Australian Citizen and currently wanting to know if I can get E3. I have worked for American Express (2yrs), CBA (2yrs) and for a UK bank here for almost a year.

I wanted to know if anyone from Finance profession has gone to the US recently and how to go about searching for jobs. If you can share some experience that will be really appreciated.

Also, the other question I have and I am a bit worried about this and will be a huge concern in taking up any job in US. I am married and have a mortgage here. If I move to US I will have to rent this property out. This will certainly mean -ve income i.e. my mortgage payments more than the rental income. Now if I were in Australia, this would mean a negative gearing and deductible from my salary income. But if I move to US, there will be outlay of around 1000-1300 AUD per month in negative. Add to that I will have to pay rent in the US. Does anyone know of tax concessions AU citizens get working in US? Can someone suggest ? I dont intend to sell my home a. becuase recently bought b. I will be coming back to AU.

It would be really appreciated if I hear your views.

Thanks in Advance.

Neil
what is E3?
where in US are you looking? things are very different here by region.
honestly, nobody gives a damn about degrees unless they're from top 10 (even 5) US bus schools. they're more interested if you can hit the ground running.
working in a com. bank in US is not something prestigious.
expect to start entry-level no matter what you worked. good way would be to find smth through Amex if you worked for them b4. be warned everything is frozen here esp. in banking and might be so for the foreseeable future.

all in all not a good move now if you ask me.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Lastere,

Thanks for your response.

E-3 is a special visa for Australian Citizens. Much like H1B visa (as I understand) however, the quota is 10,500 pear year and not even 1/10th of that get filled.

Anyway, regards to degrees, well that is a pre requisite for E3 and thats why I mentioned it. Understand that it will be much easier to work through an employer.

Regards to areas then Finance and Banking makes me think Los Angeles, San Diego, Seattle, Phoenix, Boston, Miami, Chicago, New Jersey and New York.

Also understand the time/climate at the moment in banking.

Still trying to get information and know what can be possible... ....
THanks
Old Jul 6th 2008, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

lastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nice

Originally Posted by neilk
Hi Lastere,

Thanks for your response.

E-3 is a special visa for Australian Citizens. Much like H1B visa (as I understand) however, the quota is 10,500 pear year and not even 1/10th of that get filled.

Anyway, regards to degrees, well that is a pre requisite for E3 and thats why I mentioned it. Understand that it will be much easier to work through an employer.

Regards to areas then Finance and Banking makes me think Los Angeles, San Diego, Seattle, Phoenix, Boston, Miami, Chicago, New Jersey and New York.

Also understand the time/climate at the moment in banking.

Still trying to get information and know what can be possible... ....
THanks
get accounts on monster and careerbuilder and set-up auto agent. it will send you the openings bi-weekly. i know people who got jobs through them.
however, some 80% will be just individual recruiters collecting resumes, so be selective. good luck
Old Jul 6th 2008, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

Lastere,

Thanks for that. Will give that a go.

Very interested in moving to the USA