Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

CPA Membership & Skilled Migration Assessment

CPA Membership & Skilled Migration Assessment

Old Aug 11th 2015, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

mgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond repute
Default CPA Membership & Skilled Migration Assessment

The accounting section seems fairly quiet so I thought I would give an update on my time frames having just done both membership application and skilled migration assessments through CPA Australia. I know I found similar threads very useful in the nursing forum for my partner!

I am a newly qualified CIMA member with a degree in accounting and 6 years finance work experience (5 post degree) and I am intending to emigrate to Australia early 2016 with my partner (a nurse).

Due to the timing of when I had the relevant documents I first applied for CPA membership through mutual recognition with CIMA. Then separately (not linked) a week later I submitted my Skilled Migration Assessment.

CPA Membership (CIMA Mutual Recognition)
This part was fairly straightforward, I simply sent off a copy of my degree + transcript, my CIMA certificate (which I had got that day) and transcript along with a letter of good standing (I emailed CIMA for this and got it next day), and my ID, all of which were certified by a colleague at work who was a full CIMA member.

I sent this on 6th July, on the 8th July I got a phone call from the CPA London office to take payment in GBP£, and on the 14th July they emailed to confirm I was now a CPA Australia member and my certificate would be with my in 8 weeks (I still do not have this).

This part was not needed for the migration or visa but I did it now anyway.

Skilled Migration Assessment
Separate from the above as I did not have all of my work experience testimonials I filled in the online form and made payment (AUD$) for the Skilled Migration Assessment on 9th July, I then submitted the required documents via email on 14th July.

I submitted:
  • Degree + transcript
  • CIMA certificate + transcript
  • IELTS certificate (I had sat this in April)
  • A testimonial from each employer and job description
  • My CIMA work experience log book (this is not needed but I included it for added detail)
  • 90 page degree course outline!
  • Again all of this was certified by the same colleague as above, a full CIMA member
When I emailed the above I got an instant reply saying the time frames are updated on the website and I would hear back shortly, the time frame was currently 10 working days. After 15 working days I checked back and this had changed to say 10-15 working days.

I had no contact until 5am today (20 working days) when I received a successful skills assessment, however this was not dated and there was no mention of my work experience, a quick email and both of the above were fixed in under an hour.

They advised only 4 and a bit years work experience would count as 1 year was part of my degree and even though this is the same if not higher level than some of the other work they have approved it won't count being pre degree completion, and also my first 9 months post degree was accounts payable invoice processing which is not a high enough level. As I have said previously I only received my CIMA certificate a week before I did the application so all my work experience is post degree not post CIMA.

I've now submitted my EOI with 60 points (today), however I am trying to increase my English score to band 8's to bump this to 70 points as I am unsure if I will get in on 60 points.

Hopefully the above will help someone, I was looking for something similar myself but could not find anything recent.

Last edited by mgreaves; Aug 11th 2015 at 6:19 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2015, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

PratikKothari is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CPA Membership & Skilled Migration Assessment

Hi

I am currently completing my CIMA qualification with 5 years of work experience so far.

From your thread I needed some guidance.

Does this mean that for CPA they do not consider any work experience that is obtained during the course of CIMA. As we have to gain 3 years work experience to complete CIMA.

I have all my 5 years experience gained while I was doing my CIMA qualification.

Thanks
Pratik
Old Dec 11th 2015, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

mgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PratikKothari
Hi <br />
<br />
I am currently completing my CIMA qualification with 5 years of work experience so far.<br />
<br />
From your thread I needed some guidance.<br />
<br />
Does this mean that for CPA they do not consider any work experience that is obtained during the course of CIMA. As we have to gain 3 years work experience to complete CIMA.<br />
<br />
I have all my 5 years experience gained while I was doing my CIMA qualification.<br />
<br />
Thanks<br />
Pratik
<br />
<br />
It will depend what you are having assessed. If CPA do a skills assessment against your CIMA qualification, then none of your work experience will count for the skilled visa, as work experience has to be post qualification.<br />
<br />
If you have a finance degree and CPA assess this then your CIMA qualification does not matter, so as long as your work experience is at the right level it will all count.
Old Dec 14th 2015, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

PratikKothari is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I spoke to CPA Australia and CA Australia and NZ. Their reply is as below

Dear xxx ,

Thank you for your email.

As long as your experience in accounting is relevant to the nominated occupation, we can assess any experience from the date you completed your degree as long as your degree is comparable to an Australian Bachelor degree. It does not need to be an accounting degree.

Migration Team

Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand
33 Erskine Street, Sydney NSW 2000
GPO Box 9985, Sydney NSW 2001 Australia
T 1300 137 322
F +61 2 926212
E [email protected]