British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Accountants (https://britishexpats.com/forum/accountants-87/)
-   -   CPA Aus. & CPA US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/accountants-87/cpa-aus-cpa-us-829442/)

DDV Mar 24th 2014 4:07 am

CPA Aus. & CPA US

Hi Guys !!
I am a qualified chartered accountant from India, and finished my bachelors in commerce (3 Year), have 2 years of post qualifications experience.
I moved to HK (Post Marriage), but I see that there are 2 issues in finding a job: Language & Education from India.
Now I am planning to go for further studies, and because of budget constraint I cant afford to go for a regular MBA or Masters course in Hongkong So I found 3 options :
CPA Aus, CA Aus & The most wanted CPA US.

Can somebody guide me as which out of these 3 have the most value and can I actually pursue (Eligible) any of them sitting in HK (I can appear for Xams in other country too).
Or Please advice me any other course which has less stringent rule unlike US.

Regards,
DDV

JOE2010 Apr 19th 2014 3:16 am

Re: CPA Aus. & CPA US

Originally Posted by DDV (Post 11187571)
Hi Guys !!
I am a qualified chartered accountant from India, and finished my bachelors in commerce (3 Year), have 2 years of post qualifications experience.
I moved to HK (Post Marriage), but I see that there are 2 issues in finding a job: Language & Education from India.
Now I am planning to go for further studies, and because of budget constraint I cant afford to go for a regular MBA or Masters course in Hongkong So I found 3 options :
CPA Aus, CA Aus & The most wanted CPA US.

Can somebody guide me as which out of these 3 have the most value and can I actually pursue (Eligible) any of them sitting in HK (I can appear for Xams in other country too).
Or Please advice me any other course which has less stringent rule unlike US.

Regards,
DDV

Where do you want to work?

You only need to sit the Capstone module of the Australian CA, they have an agreement with the Indian one (assuming you became a CA through study and work experience).

I wouldn't bother with the Australian CPA.

Why are you considering the American CPA?

DDV Jul 22nd 2014 4:11 am

Hey Joe,

Thanks for your response !! And Apology for my late query.

To be honest, I am not really sure as where I am finally going to settle down :(
thats why I am looking for something which has some global recognition.

As far as I know about the MRA in ICAI & Australian CA, they have a condition -- which says that you have to be and stay in Australia for 6 months for final module test.

ICAI has MRA with CPA Aus as well, where I will be required to give 2 modules and I will get the membership but not the members right.
I am not sure if this is worth doing or not.

CPA US - I dont know I have applied to see If I am eligible for it but not sure I f I will get something positive and then again what I read is that its not easy to crack this exam. :(
So confused with my career, what to do and how and when. :(

janiejones Jul 22nd 2014 9:00 am

Have you considered CIMA? They have a global designation which is recognised in a number of countries. Your Indian qualification might give you some exemptions, have a look at CIMA - Chartered Institute of Management Accountants.

DDV Jul 22nd 2014 9:18 am

Janie,

Thanks for your response, well CIMA, I considered that course when I was pursuing CA back in India, but I found that Member of ICWAI gets lot of exemptions then a member of ICAI.

Is CIMA better than CPA? As mentioned I got married recently, so somehow we are in HK but we can either move to Australia, US or may be India who knows....thats why I want to see something which is more global and has value offcourse !! Rest is all Luck I understand !!

CA from India is one of the toughest course and its was very discouraging to see that ppl in HK do not recognize it. I am still struggling hard to find a job here, consultants are biased too... I dont want to face similar situation in any other country...it lowers down my confidence.... :(
Well Just called CIMA ppl in HK they asked me to write down a mail with details and expect a reply by end of next week with details of exemption.

thanks...Hoping to find out a path soon

Bermudashorts Jul 24th 2014 10:15 pm

I don't think any of the western accounting qualifications are more valued than any other. It is simply a product of where you live. Unfortunately as you have found, the accounting qualifications from a non western country don't tend to be viewed that highly in the western nations.

I think I would find it a bit "odd" for someone to have CPA Australia or CPA USA without having lived in either country. I would probably recommend one of the qualifications that are more global, which means ACCA or CIMA.