CIPFA in PErth?

Old Sep 4th 2005, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

numbers is on a distinguished road
Default CIPFA in PErth?

Hi, just come across this forum, must be new. Anyway, just a couple of quick questions. Does anybody know how a CIPFA Accountant will find work in Auz. Although im public Sector trained (Health Service), I would like to work in private sector. Now im not going to go into the std of living arguments etc as this has been extensively covered in the Auz forum, but after researching for 8 months, and after lots of advice, I have come to my own Salary watermark based on what ive learnt. Basically, to retain my std of living, i want to earn 2 x Auz $ what i earnt in UK £. The 0.4 (2.4$ to £) remaining i can forget due to reduction in cost of living and house prices. Good avice is to use 2x comparator. Again this is my personal calc. As i am only 5 yrs qualified and working in NHS, im not the highest paid accountant at £40k, therefore, il get to the point, i would expect to earn $80k to enjoy the same level of living as i do now. Can i achieve this?? anything substantially less would mean i would not proceed with my application, again thats my personal feeling, so please dont read into that as we all have different circumstances. the one thing i have not achieved yet in my months of research is what to expect salary wise, im really stumped on that one!! Help. Thanks for listening to me winge. Tony
Old Sep 5th 2005, 2:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CIPFA in PErth?

Originally Posted by numbers
Hi, just come across this forum, must be new. Anyway, just a couple of quick questions. Does anybody know how a CIPFA Accountant will find work in Auz.
The first problem you may encounter is the fact that not many people in Australia will have heard of CIFPA.

Have you looked into getting an Australian qualification (CA is best)?

Also - if you don't have a university degree (any subject will do) then you may find yourself at a disadvantage as the Australian profession is more graduate orientated than the UK. It should be possible to obtain a degree by distance learning (with credits for your existing study), but it will probably take a couple of years part time.

Jeremy
Old Sep 6th 2005, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

p63500sv8 has a spectacular aura aboutp63500sv8 has a spectacular aura aboutp63500sv8 has a spectacular aura about
Red face Re: CIPFA in PErth?

Hi Jeremy

I am in the process of applying for a 136 visa.
I am ACCA qualified but with no degree.
Left school at 16 etc.... I do have nearly 18 years experience working with only 4 organisations in that time, 7 years NHS all other in private companies.

When we finally get to Oz I am keen to sit the 2 papers required for the ICAA qualification.
Do you think I will have problems not having a degree?
Can you recommend any agencies in the Brisbane area as I would like to visit a few when we are in Oz on our reccie from 12th October.

Many thanks

MichaelB
Old Sep 6th 2005, 11:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CIPFA in PErth?

Originally Posted by p63500sv8
Hi Jeremy

I am in the process of applying for a 136 visa.
I am ACCA qualified but with no degree.
Left school at 16 etc.... I do have nearly 18 years experience working with only 4 organisations in that time, 7 years NHS all other in private companies.

When we finally get to Oz I am keen to sit the 2 papers required for the ICAA qualification.
Do you think I will have problems not having a degree?
Can you recommend any agencies in the Brisbane area as I would like to visit a few when we are in Oz on our reccie from 12th October.

Many thanks

MichaelB
You'll need to do more than two papers - if you're ACCA qualified you'll need to do the tax and law bridging courses, then the 5 paper CA program to become a CA.

ICAA do not require a degree if you're ACCA qualified, however some employers may expect to see a degree. I think the ACCA office in Sydney can give you details of a degree course with an Australian university that can be done in one year full time equivalent (distance learning) because of credits given for ACCA.

Jeremy