Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

CIMA Passed Finalist confused about the assesment

CIMA Passed Finalist confused about the assesment

Old Apr 5th 2008, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Jasonchenuck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CIMA Passed Finalist confused about the assesment

Hi,

Im chenuck. Im a CIMA Passed Finalist yet im not a member since i have not completed 3yrs of work experience. Still for all i have 2yrs of Experience working for KPMG and Nestle in the Financial Field. Therefore if i mail ICAA with academic transcript from CIMA will i be able to obtain the 60 marks under the skills section (Category-Accountant). Is the academic transcript enough. ? pls advice
Old Apr 5th 2008, 3:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CIMA Passed Finalist confused about the assesment

Originally Posted by Jasonchenuck
Hi,

Im chenuck. Im a CIMA Passed Finalist yet im not a member since i have not completed 3yrs of work experience. Still for all i have 2yrs of Experience working for KPMG and Nestle in the Financial Field. Therefore if i mail ICAA with academic transcript from CIMA will i be able to obtain the 60 marks under the skills section (Category-Accountant). Is the academic transcript enough. ? pls advice
Do you have a university degree?
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:09 am
Just Joined

ToufiqUlAlam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Mr. JAJ,

My name is Toufiq. I am from Bangladesh. I am very much interested in doing ACCA as I had very unfortunate break of study since 2003. I went to australia at a very young age and could not handle the pressure and came back home. I did not find any place suitable to study and hence took interest in ACCA. Well, I have going through your posts and understood your deep experience with the accounting profession.

Could you please give me some rough ideas about how hard it is to pass all the subjects of ACCA? What is the real passing rate ? Is there any suggestion from you on how to make strategy for beating these exams? Are the BPP and KAPLAN books enough for passing the exams?

Thank you very much.

Please help me with the info.

Toufiq
Old Apr 14th 2008, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Jasonchenuck is an unknown quantity at this point

No I do not have a degree. I'm only equipped with CIMA. and 2.5 yrs of relavent work experiance
Old May 29th 2008, 10:26 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

CIMA assesors do not demand three years of accounting work nor do you have to present a contiguous history. Indeed CIMA do (or have done recently) interview assesments removing the need for the enhanced CV thast forms the basis for the assesment proposal. If you have any other work experience than write this up emphasising the management or operational aspects and that will be counted.

The difference between being passed finalist and Qualified is huge and if you move and take a job as PF then you lose out on salary progression because it is difficult to get the jump that results from qualifying if you are starting at a low level.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

andy_carey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
CIMA assesors do not demand three years of accounting work nor do you have to present a contiguous history. Indeed CIMA do (or have done recently) interview assesments removing the need for the enhanced CV thast forms the basis for the assesment proposal. If you have any other work experience than write this up emphasising the management or operational aspects and that will be counted.
Is this correct? I am a CIMA student and have just sat my final exam. If I have passed I will apply for membership and I am sure that I will be required to submit a career profile to confirm that I have a minimum of 3 years relevant work experience.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 7:50 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Andy - good luck with the exams and you will have to provide a 3 year summary. It will have to be accepted too and so have all of the elements of basic, accounting and management accounting or however they analyse it.

But you can get some way even if you do not have three years with job title Accountant. Say you have managed a bar for 6 months this contains elements of management, reporting of results, analysis of management accounts , preparation of reports and so on - it may even include cash reconciliations.

I'm not saying lie but do get the most out of what you have done. The assessors are reasonable.

When I did mine they offered verbal assesments in London. Get in touch with the CIMA passed finalist web section and ask them.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 7:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ToufiqUlAlam
Hello Mr. JAJ,

My name is Toufiq. I am from Bangladesh. I am very much interested in doing ACCA as I had very unfortunate break of study since 2003. I went to australia at a very young age and could not handle the pressure and came back home. I did not find any place suitable to study and hence took interest in ACCA. Well, I have going through your posts and understood your deep experience with the accounting profession.

Could you please give me some rough ideas about how hard it is to pass all the subjects of ACCA? What is the real passing rate ? Is there any suggestion from you on how to make strategy for beating these exams? Are the BPP and KAPLAN books enough for passing the exams?

Thank you very much.

Please help me with the info.

Toufiq
BPP and Kaplan are good enough but if you can attend a revision course then this is worth an additional 10%.

The trick is to do every single exam question and past paper you can get your hands on and understand the summaries of the IAS so that you can quote them correctly.

Focussing on pass rates is focussing on other people and is not worthwhile.

Lets face it the exams are a right of passage and they don't pass everyone at each stage but they are in business to get maximum market share of the accounting profession. It is a contest. You have to understand a pile of books weighing 10kg for each stage - simple as that.

Good luck.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by andy_carey
Is this correct? I am a CIMA student and have just sat my final exam. If I have passed I will apply for membership and I am sure that I will be required to submit a career profile to confirm that I have a minimum of 3 years relevant work experience.
It says on CIMA website that you have to have 3 years of accountancy related experience of which 18 months has to be of 'core' experience. You can build your 3 years up over any number of years but you have to list ALL jobs/events since last college/university exams. For example, I had to list a three month unemployment period between two jobs because the online computer form wouldnt let me submit the application because there was a 'gap' in my whereabouts!!

When you list your jobs/events since last full time employment (eg. uni/college) you get to select whether you want that job to count as part of your experience. I kept my app simple and only selected 2 jobs to count - not the 15 million temporary jobs that i have had in the past (although these still had to be listed otherwise there would have been a gap in my timeline!

If you do the online application for membership then you have to insert, I think, at least 2 sponsors - i had to anyway. The hardest part for my application was saying what the annual t/o for each company i had worked for was!! Ive had to email past recruiters and ask what their average t/o. (for some larger companies, eg. Lloyds and DHL, i looked on their website for their financial accounts and stole the figures from there!
Old Oct 4th 2008, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future

BPP and Kaplan are good enough but if you can attend a revision course then this is worth an additional 10%.

The trick is to do every single exam question and past paper you can get your hands on and understand the summaries of the IAS so that you can quote them correctly.

Focussing on pass rates is focussing on other people and is not worthwhile.

Lets face it the exams are a right of passage and they don't pass everyone at each stage but they are in business to get maximum market share of the accounting profession. It is a contest. You have to understand a pile of books weighing 10kg for each stage - simple as that.

Good luck.
I did CIMA so cant speak for ACCA, but my college tutor always used to say (and he is quite right), all professional accountancy exams are tough, very tough, but if the accountancy bodies made the exams easy then everyone will pass and it will devalue the accountancy profession (i.e. bringing qualified salaries down).

So in summary, they are tough, but with hard work they are passable first time (or second time) and its good that they are tough!!! Lets hope the exams never become easy!!!
Old Oct 12th 2008, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Andy - good luck with the exams and you will have to provide a 3 year summary. It will have to be accepted too and so have all of the elements of basic, accounting and management accounting or however they analyse it.

But you can get some way even if you do not have three years with job title Accountant. Say you have managed a bar for 6 months this contains elements of management, reporting of results, analysis of management accounts , preparation of reports and so on - it may even include cash reconciliations.

I'm not saying lie but do get the most out of what you have done. The assessors are reasonable.

When I did mine they offered verbal assesments in London. Get in touch with the CIMA passed finalist web section and ask them.
Cheers for the tips. I have (I believe) plenty of relevant experience having worked in accounts for over 10 years. I'll soon find out though as I've now passed all the exams and have submitted my application for approval, with result due any time soon.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

have submitted my application for approval, with result due any time soon.
I've just submitted mine today aswel!! so i'll wait with you! On CIMA website it says average 4 to 6 weeks!! eek. dont they know i have a visa app thats on hold!!
Old Oct 12th 2008, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Looking forward to Oz
I've just submitted mine today aswel!! so i'll wait with you! On CIMA website it says average 4 to 6 weeks!! eek. dont they know i have a visa app thats on hold!!

Good luck with it, mine's been verified by my proposer and seconder since 9th September so I'm hoping for an answer any day now.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Good luck with it, mine's been verified by my proposer and seconder since 9th September so I'm hoping for an answer any day now.
Try calling CIMA, make sure they havent forgotten about you! Guess its their busy season...arghhhhhhhh.

Impatience is the name of the game when you have a visa app on hold!

GOOD LUCK!!!

Old Oct 13th 2008, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Looking forward to Oz
Try calling CIMA, make sure they havent forgotten about you! Guess its their busy season...arghhhhhhhh.

Impatience is the name of the game when you have a visa app on hold!

GOOD LUCK!!!

Absolutely, they had a special offer on where they reduced their fee for the membership application and I got my application in there but I guess I'm not the only one taking advantage of that and they are really busy! 5 weeks tomorrow and counting......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.